[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@day_trippr, I executed this command:
Pull up lxterminal and run the following:

cd /var/www/python
python flow_monitor.py

And with the lterminal open the RaspberryPints will read the flowmeter.

Wonderful! You're very close to completion!
All you should need to do at this point is get the flow_monitor port listener service up and running.

You should find a "flowmon" file located in /var/www/html/python after installing the RaspberryPints kit. Put a copy of that file in the /etc/init.d/ folder.

Edit that copy of the file and check that the setting of DIR is correct for your installation. The original file (from back in the Wheezy days) had DIR=/var/www/python but a subsequent Apache2 release (more or less concurrent with the Jessie OS appearance) moved the default DocumentRoot to /var/www/html/. So you'd need to change that value in the flowmon file to DIR=/var/www/html/python so it points to the flow_monitor.py script correctly.

Then execute the command:
Code:
sudo update-rc.d flowmon defaults

which should install the flowmon service so it always autostarts without intervention...

Cheers!

Wonderful! You're very close to completion!
All you should need to do at this point is get the flow_monitor port listener service up and running.

You should find a "flowmon" file located in /var/www/html/python after installing the RaspberryPints kit. Put a copy of that file in the /etc/init.d/ folder.

Edit that copy of the file and check that the setting of DIR is correct for your installation. The original file (from back in the Wheezy days) had DIR=/var/www/python but a subsequent Apache2 release (more or less concurrent with the Jessie OS appearance) moved the default DocumentRoot to /var/www/html/. So you'd need to change that value in the flowmon file to DIR=/var/www/html/python so it points to the flow_monitor.py script correctly.

Then execute the command:
Code:

which should install the flowmon service so it always autostarts without intervention...

Cheers!

My file ''flowmon'' is located in /var/www/python.
It does not even have a folder inside the path /var/www/html
I can not copy it to the specified path /etc/init.d/folder. without permission

Ok, I alluded to that possibility. And surprised you got this far without ever needing to invoke 'sudo' powers.
But...here's what you need to do:

- As you're able to access your tap list, your default Apache2 DocumentRoot must be /var/www, so your python folder is /var/www/python.
- The flowmon file should have "DIR=/var/www/python" to match. If you didn't change it, leave it alone.
- Copy the flowmon file to /etc/init.d/ by executing the following command:

Code:
sudo cp /var/www/python/flowmon /etc/init.d/

- Then execute the update command as follows:

Code:

That should do it...

Cheers!

Okay. Finally feeling better so I'm getting back to work on this. I seem to be stuck on step 4. Can someone please explain what I'm looking at and provide the best steps to take?
20181223_182651.jpeg

Eureka! We officially have a tap list! One last question though. As you can see by this photo, my picture is partially cut off. I know this is nit-picking but can anyone tell me how to fix this. Thanks in advance for the help and thanks so much for helping me get to this point.

Cheers!
Casey

What would be the ideal transmission rate setting for the Sea-YF-S201 sensor

Just realized I didn't include the photos. Here ya go. As you can see, the right side of the screen is ever so slightly cut off. Thoughts?

Open the styles.css located in the root directory of the website and look for bodywrapper under it the width might be set to 101 which is used to hide the scroll bar but would cut off the image change it to 100 and it should make the image display.

If 101% isn't in the style.css then I'm not sure what is cutting it off

Anyone know if I'd have potential problem powering a "pi zero w" off a "pi 3" header, using GPIO 5V & GRD ? Also powering a PIR, Temp Probe, & Flow Meters! The "zero" would be dedicated to a tilt hydrometer.

IMG_0408-L.jpg

Last edited:
Having the 3B supplying your USB-connected devices and the rest of your peripherals as well as the Pi Zero W that's a lot of loading on the simple 3-terminal 5V LDO regulator residing on the 3B. And remember the RPi's 3V regulator input is from the same 5V rail - on both the 3B and the Zero-W - putting pretty near everything you see on the 5V regulator.

In a similar situation I went with a 5VDC 3A/15W switching power brick similar to this S-15-5 model...

Smun-S-15-5-15W-5VDC-3A-Single-Output-Switch-Power-Supply.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
I've been messing around with the keg images (bored) and I'm assuming the colors represent the different liquid levels ? Eg. Green = full/half full, Orange = ?, Red = ?, Yellow = ?

Tap%20List-L.jpg

What mods were done for the beer colors? Much better, IMO, than the original RP. Looks great!

Having the 3B supplying your USB-connected devices and the rest of your peripherals as well as the Pi Zero W that's a lot of loading on the simple 3-terminal 5V LDO regulator residing on the 3B. And remember the RPi's 3V regulator input is from the same 5V rail - on both the 3B and the Zero-W - putting pretty near everything you see on the 5V regulator.

In a similar situation I went with a 5VDC 3A/15W switching power brick similar to this S-15-5 model...

I thought so too. I’ll just leave the zero out since I usually have to have it really close to my stainless conical fermenter or the readings are sporadic!

What mods were done for the beer colors? Much better, IMO, than the original RP. Looks great!
I used the old (>v3.0) Beersmith icons, and hacked the index.php and style.css files, there a write-up for it further back in the thread, I'll see if I can find a link for you.

Cheers,

Kal

I used the old (>v3.0) Beersmith icons, and hacked the index.php and style.css files, there a write-up for it further back in the thread, I'll see if I can find a link for you.

Cheers,

Kal
Way cool. I have BS 2.0 and 3.0. Know how to program php. So if you can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

All good, we all help each other out here, if you're a PHP programmer no doubt you'll be of assistance to someone here in no time ;-)

Cheers,

Kal

Unfortunately, I'm an everything programmer. Been a professional software developer since 1979 (sorry to admit). One thing about my profession = change is constant. For those not liking change then choose a profession without change. Sometimes it gets very old. I have new people in the field ranting and raving about the latest and greatest things (so they believe). I'll say, "You do realize we've been doing these things, with another name, since the 1960's". Agile programming is just 1 example. Sigh...

Last edited:
I will preface this by saying I am FAAAAAR from a programmer so thank you for tolerating my dumb ass. I'm actually proud that I've been able to get this far lol.

I looked up my TV's resolution and configured my Pi accordingly from the the configuration menu accessed from the icon in the upper left of the screen. Unfortunately, the image is still cut off. I then checked on my laptop and it looks the same (screenshot included in this post). Considering that the image is cut off on BOTH my laptop and tv, is it possible that the problem is with something other than the configuration on the Pi? Any other ideas on what I can do? Thanks in advance!

upload_2018-12-27_21-3-33.png

I will preface this by saying I am FAAAAAR from a programmer so thank you for tolerating my dumb ass. I'm actually proud that I've been able to get this far lol.

I looked up my TV's resolution and configured my Pi accordingly from the the configuration menu accessed from the icon in the upper left of the screen. Unfortunately, the image is still cut off. I then checked on my laptop and it looks the same (screenshot included in this post). Considering that the image is cut off on BOTH my laptop and tv, is it possible that the problem is with something other than the configuration on the Pi? Any other ideas on what I can do? Thanks in advance!

View attachment 604516
Looks like you have phantom third column in there (between IBUs & description), I'm guessing that's the culprit.

Cheers,

Kal

Sounds good. Thanks for trying. Maybe it'd be worth trying a different version of RPints?
Yeah, problem with that is you'd need to start from scratch as the original RPints is no longer supported on the operating system you installed on your Pi. Best bet would be to get support from the author of the RPints you currently have, my guess is it's conflicting settings in your config, but don't know that version enough to troubleshoot effectively.

Yes, that looks like RandR+'s version. This may be a simple problem of alignment of the introduced code changes with his page. I would try to work through it because it's becoming increasingly difficult to get the alternative up and running...

Cheers!

Last edited:
fwiw, you can get all the history you want on the original R'Pints using phpmyadmin (though you do need to modify the sql to set the date - by default that field is Nulled for each pour). Plus you can do all kinds of filtering which can be handy for debugging issues...

Cheers!

Here are my settings and the resulting view from my laptop. I still have a phantom column.

Ok Setup my test system just like your and I get the same column, that is the Show Beer Image column, if you dont have any Beer Images setup then its empty like that, I have been playing with the code for that column but I just cant get it to display better.

The indication that is with the beer name is the line underneath the Beer Name and Style is over the empty the column.

RandR+, would it be difficult to add the "Pour history" table to the older Rpints version ?

Its not too hard if you have PHP and SQL experience.

There SQL view to get the pours (found in the schema.sql file) and a pourListTable.php (under includes) to display the pours history. index.php would need to be modified to include the pourListTable.php or copy the contents of pourListTable into the index.php. Add in the options that pourListTable uses to database and the config_names.php

Also I have new columns in the Database that would either need to be added to the original or removed from new stuff.

Back