Vacuum sealing hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natdavis777

Reaction score
I know people do it, but I just started since I recently have been buying hops in bulk. I got a FoodSaver portable vacuum and 18 ziplock-style bags that are reusable, all for under 30$. I can fit 1lb in a quart-sized bag. Really a good investment if you plan to bulk purchase hops. Anyways, just thought I would share in case some have been turned away from bulk purchases due to lack of storage options.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436744966.738077.jpg

You should check and see if that type of food saver works for the mason jar attachment. 1 quart mason jars work well with a pound of hops and they are infinitely reusable

I thought about doing smaller bags, but couldnt find any at the store. All the hops I purchased in bulk are for hop-forward beers, so I will be using anywhere from 8-10oz at a time. Still convenient.

I know people do it, but I just started since I recently have been buying hops in bulk. I got a FoodSaver portable vacuum and 18 ziplock-style bags that are reusable, all for under 30$. I can fit 1lb in a quart-sized bag. Really a good investment if you plan to bulk purchase hops. Anyways, just thought I would share in case some have been turned away from bulk purchases due to lack of storage options.View attachment 289775

Just curious as to how this has worked for you. I bought one of these myself, but I cannot get the bags to remain sealed. It seems like some hop dust gets into the valve and mucks it up, causing it to loose seal. I ended up buying a FM2100 that Costco has on sale currently for $60, which works like a charm. I hear that the zip-lock sealer bags work better than the food saver, so I plan on giving it another go because the ability to open the bag and reseal without having to throw the bag away would be convenient.

I picked up the unit and bags Saturday, and it's still airtight in my freezer currently. I'll report back when I get the next few lbs in Thursday.

I hear that the zip-lock sealer bags work better than the food saver, so I plan on giving it another go because the ability to open the bag and reseal without having to throw the bag away would be convenient.

The zip-loc sealer bags are hit and miss. I used them for a while, and found some stayed sealed. while others leaked. I used to double bag/seal them to help.

For the past few of years I've been using a proper vacuum sealer. I start with a large bag when I open the original lb bag, and then reuse/reseal every time I take some out. When I'm only using an ounce or so of a hop, I'll often take out a few ozs and store the couple off spare ozs I took out in the zip-loc bags, to save continually opening and resealing the main bag.

The zip-loc sealer bags are hit and miss. I used them for a while, and found some stayed sealed. while others leaked. I used to double bag/seal them to help.

For the past few of years I've been using a proper vacuum sealer. I start with a large bag when I open the original lb bag, and then reuse/reseal every time I take some out. When I'm only using an ounce or so of a hop, I'll often take out a few ozs and store the couple off spare ozs I took out in the zip-loc bags, to save continually opening and resealing the main bag.

That has been my experience with the food saver. I had one hold a decent seal and another be a complete fail. I have been using the food saver bags by cutting off the top right below the valve and using the traditional food saver machine to seal them with heat.

The OP seems to have the magic touch, so hopefully he will share some tips, because I have tried just about every trick from the internet to get it to hold a seal (including putting tape over the valve, with no success.

That has been my experience with the food saver. I had one hold a decent seal and another be a complete fail. I have been using the food saver bags by cutting off the top right below the valve and using the traditional food saver machine to seal them with heat.

The OP seems to have the magic touch, so hopefully he will share some tips, because I have tried just about every trick from the internet to get it to hold a seal (including putting tape over the valve, with no success.

I may have just lucked out on my first go round. I'll report back how the next few lbs seal up

I know people do it, but I just started since I recently have been buying hops in bulk. I got a FoodSaver portable vacuum and 18 ziplock-style bags that are reusable, all for under 30$. I can fit 1lb in a quart-sized bag. Really a good investment if you plan to bulk purchase hops. Anyways, just thought I would share in case some have been turned away from bulk purchases due to lack of storage options.View attachment 289775

Just ordered one and some bags from Amazon last night.

Anyone here ever vacuum seal in Mason jars using the boiling method? I have jars and wouldn't mind boiling em up to vacuum seal hops, but have read that anything over 10% moisture content vacuum sealed and stored at room temps still risks bacterial infection. Help please!

Did these a few hours ago and they are still holding up just fine. I will say though, I had to repackage one lb in a new bag. Like someone stated before, some powdery hops made its way to the suction valve, and I assume that is what was making it lose it's seal (literally would air-filled in a matter of minutes). So just being cognizant of that factor, I don't see this being an issue long term. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436974166.325196.jpg

Anyone here ever vacuum seal in Mason jars using the boiling method? I have jars and wouldn't mind boiling em up to vacuum seal hops, but have read that anything over 10% moisture content vacuum sealed and stored at room temps still risks bacterial infection. Help please!

I wouldn't boil the hops, you'd likely lose some of their aromatics! The food saver mason jar adapter seems popular and then you aren't boiling anything.

Also, whatever method you use, keeping it cold slows degradation of the alpha acids and also slows bacterial activity.

I bought the mason jar lid attachment and use it with the portable vacuum shown in the first picture. It works great. I can usually get a pound of hops into 2 mason jars. I vacuum seal the jar, screw the band on, label it with tape and pop it in the freezer.

I like the ease of using mason jars over bags, but wonder how much air is actually removed from the jar. I know it creates a vacuum, because it is hard to pop the lids off after it is sealed, but it obviously does not remove all of the air. As a result, the hops are still exposed to air, particularly if the mason jar is only half full. In comparison, the bags remove most of the air that is in contact with the hops no matter how full or emplty they are.

I looked up the mason jar lid attachment and like that route as well. I have a plethora of jars around the house. Though pvpeacock makes a point in that you can verify how much air is removed via the bag, unlike a jar. You can also visually tell that the seal is broke with the bags.

Back