Using rum in Bourbon dubbel recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceanbear1

Reaction score
Hello, first my apologies if this in the the wrong place

So later this week I am brewing a bourbon dubbel from the Brooklyn brew shop recipe book. It calls to soak oak chips overnight in Bourbon.

I have some really nice spiced rum I brought back from Jamaica, how do you guys think that would taste?

I'd buy a commercial dubbel and add a tiny bit of the rum to see how they taste together. It sounds good to me though...

sounds good to me. if you're worried you can pull a hydro sample before you rack to the oak and taste it with a bit of the rum. if it's all good, soak the chips that night and proceed. if not, run and grab some bourbon.

I brewed this recipe myself a while ago, and was pretty happy with it.
First, soak the chip longer than overnight - IME it takes a couple weeks for the chips to absorb flavors.
The next is to be a bit light when it come to adding the chips to the beer. Mine came out pretty oaky - in fact too much so.
I don't remember how long I left them in, but when you have them in, taste every couple days until you get the effect you want, then get it off the wood as soon as you can.

Thanks for the advice guys, I love experimenting and trying new things, I just wanted to ask first in case there was a resounding NO!

Go get some cheap rum. Expensive rum is a waste in beer, unless you have designed a style around the rum and are prepared to use a decent amount.

Half a liter is about 10 ml in a standard beer. Try adding 2 teaspoons worth of the rum to a standard beer and see how it turns out.

With the oak in there too, it is just going to take a back seat.

Yes, why waste good/rare booze in a beer? Use something good, but easily available and not too expensive. What if you screw it up and have to dump some of that Jamaican rum down the drain?

Back