Using flavor extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokerlund

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of perry that came out a bit lacking in pear flavor. We want it sparkling and dry. So to add some flavor, I bought some pear extract. I have 3, 1oz bottles. Any advice on how many ounces for 5 gallons? I am thinking I will start with 1oz in the keg, give it a slow roll and then wait a day to taste. If it isn't enough, then I will add a 2nd ounce.

To me, all of those extracts taste like harsh cough syrup. Blech! Can you try cans of FCPJ instead?

Yeah, I bought the extract because the pear juice we had used and pear concentrate fermented out leaving so little pear flavor. I figured if I added more, it would just ferment out again. I would leave it a bit sweet but my wife is A) a health nut and doesn't want the calorie count to be any higher than it has to be and B) likes her wines and ciders very dry.

I am wondering what a reasonable starting amount would be. Most cakes and pies are 1/2 to 1 teaspoon. There are 6 teaspoons in an ounce. So I am thinking for 5 gallons, one ounce might be about right to just give a hint more flavor. . . but I could he way off on that.

Anybody have experiences with extract in 5 gallon batches. I have been looking up vanilla extract and others in beer, but still can't find a good metric.

Do u keg or bottle? if u keg, drop a campden tab in, let it sit for 24-48 hours and then backsweeten with the frozen concentrate to ur liking. Then carb as u would normally.

Otherwise check this video out, may give u some ideas on how to use extract/additives after to change the taste to ur liking.

[ame]http://vimeo.com/48954331[/ame]

Just in-case anybody ever runs into this again. . .

I added 1oz of Pear Extract to roughly 4.5 gallons. I rolled the keg, pressurized it and let it sit in the fridge for about 36 hours. I poured off a small amount and it tasted slightly more like pears. As a result, I added the 2nd ounce of Pear Extract, rolled the keg, pressurized and let sit in the fridge. I'll give it a taste later tonight, but I don't think there is any way I will add the last ounce. If two ounces didn't make a difference, there is not much chance the 3rd ounce will do enough to make it where we want it to be. I am really thinking that it will come out about where we want it.

Back