Cider Process: APPLE vs PEAR CIDER ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sballe

Reaction score
Hi all,-
long time (well, a few years and many batches) apple-cider-maker ... first time pear-cider-maker...

I have a few questions regarding the process of making pear-cider, vs apple-cider. Obviously the general process is the same, but still some details I am a little unsure of. I got my hands on about 30 kg of ripe pears, just one variety, and definitely not perry-pears - so - now what to do?

.... would this result in a bland, tart, boring pear-cider, just as single-variety-eating-apple-cider would ?
... should I add powdered tannin to help the mouthfeel and complexity along, as I would with apples ?
... or should I even add a few crab apples to the pear-cider? (although, I would like to keep it 'only pears' to make a more clean product)
... regarding yeast; would my regular yeasts behave as they do in apple cider? (have nottingham, safale, SafCider, 71B and EC1118 on hand)
... is cool/cold fermentation also preferable when doing pear-cider?
...should I add pectinase; like I do with apple cider ?

Hope someone can help :)

thx

Last edited:
It's great that you have so many pears. My answer to all of your questions is yes. You can treat pear cider like apple cider. Adjust for acidity (tartness), tannins, etc. just as you would for apples. I also like an apple/pear blend cider.

Back