Using Dettol as sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stavrose

Reaction score
Hello!

I've been searching the internet for an alternative to Campden tablets because I don't have any access to it (I live outside the US) I know it makes it easier for you but I can't have it in the meantime. I do have Dettol and I read the ingredients, it contains no chlorine. I'm wondering if it's fine to use it.

Here's the picture of the ingredients.

IMG_20150626_184950.jpg

Based on some quick reading, I wouldn't get that stuff anywhere near my brewing process. It basically sounds like Pine-Sol. Are you looking for a sanitizer for your gear, or for killing microorganisms in must?

sanitizer for my gear. I'm also trying to make a better wine ( the best I could ) I was planning on using hot water to sanitize.

Can you not get Star-San or Iodophor where you are? Those would be my number one and number two choices. Barring that, I'd use bleach before I would use Dettol. Just make sure you rinse really, really well.

I'm not sure where I can find here. Is there any ingredient that I have to stay away from?

I've contacted a company that sells sanitizers, one of its product called Sana quat, there description of this product is:
QUATERNARY AMMONIUM BASED LOW TEMPERATURE STERILIZING AGENT EFFECTIVE FOR BOTH GRAM POSITIVE AND GRAM NEGATIVE BACTERIA. EXCELLENT FOR BUTCHER STALLS, DAIRIES, FOOD INDUSTRIES, LAUNDRIES, POULTRY FARMS ETC.

I can't read label.

This is their website.
http://www.alsanea.com/portfolio3.html#&slider1=2

if you can't get star san or iodophore...

... household bleach !! strong concentration, nice long soak, tripple rinse, and some time in the sunlight to kill the smell.

What about products that are used to clean dishes?

people don't sanitize dishes.

(i have a steam sanitizer built into my dishwasher, but i only use it when doing bottles)

when dishes are sanitized it is general HEAT and steam that do it, not chemicals.

I guess I should stick with the bleach then and rinse 3-5 times and keep it under the sunlight.

i work in water management. bleach is effective.

i'd rather risk a small off taste (which you REALLY risk with a product that has Parfum as an ingredient.) from bleach.

"mountain fresh parfum" ... i'd avoid it just because of that.

rinse rinse rinse rinse ... and ... maybe bleach could leave a subtle smell. maybe.

the formula is

K = C * T
where K is kill rate, C is concentration of substance, and T is time in contact.

so a loooong time in a weak sanitizer is actually equal to a short time in a strong sanitizer.

this is especially true for chlorine and is how water management determines the chlorine concentration rate (their T is fixed)

...i'd just go with a low concentration chlorine and leave it overnight.

Hello!

I've been searching the internet for an alternative to Campden tablets because I don't have any access to it (I live outside the US) I know it makes it easier for you but I can't have it in the meantime. I do have Dettol and I read the ingredients, it contains no chlorine. I'm wondering if it's fine to use it.

Here's the picture of the ingredients.

OP.

Where are you located. Dettol is a product I am familiar with growing up in Ireland and was often used for cleaning babies bottles, kitchen counters etc in the UK and Ireland. I remember seeing all the commercials.

I'm surprised star san is not available. Depends where you are I suppose.

OP.

Where are you located. Dettol is a product I am familiar with growing up in Ireland and was often used for cleaning babies bottles, kitchen counters etc in the UK and Ireland. I remember seeing all the commercials.

I'm surprised star san is not available. Depends where you are I suppose.

I live in Kuwait and I'm very unfamiliar with sanitization. I might go for bleach since I don't have a choice.

If you are looking for Campden tablets google

sodium metabisulphate

You don't need the Campden tabs (Brand name) the chemical in the correct amount will work but it is not a great sanitizer for brewing purposes.

If you are making wine there are uses also for sodium metabisulphate and potassium metabisulpahate.

Just depends on what your needs are.

Sanitizing there are better options already discussed.

Back