Using both cascade and citra for aroma in IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever try using both citra and cascade hops for aroma additions in an IPA? I have 3 oz of each plus some other ingredients I want to use up so I thought I would try for a higher gravity IPA using both of these for late hop additions. I am out of 2-row and pale malt...hence the name kitchen sink.

Kitchen Sink IPA

7 lbs maris otter malt
4 lbs Vienna malt
4 lbs Pilsen malt
1 lb crystal 40 L
2 oz magnum 60 min
1.5 oz cascade 5 min
1.5 oz citra 5 min
1.5 oz cascade flame out
1.5 oz citra flame out
wl001 yeast.

I also have 3 oz of centennial that needs to be used up too.

Anyone ever try using both citra and cascade hops for aroma additions in an IPA? I have 3 oz of each plus some other ingredients I want to use up so I thought I would try for a higher gravity IPA using both of these for late hop additions. I am out of 2-row and pale malt...hence the name kitchen sink.

Kitchen Sink IPA

7 lbs maris otter malt
4 lbs Vienna malt
4 lbs Pilsen malt
1 lb crystal 40 L
2 oz magnum 60 min
1.5 oz cascade 5 min
1.5 oz citra 5 min
1.5 oz cascade flame out
1.5 oz citra flame out
wl001 yeast.

I also have 3 oz of centennial that needs to be used up too.

never tried it but sounds good. I would cancel out all the 5 and flameout additions and do a hopstand with it. then add a little more at 60 with some more bittering hop If need be. well probably also scale back the crystal, I like it less and less in my IPAs, only a percent or two nowadays.

Uh... Hell Yeah!

Off the top of my head, I'd drop the 3 oz of Centennial at 5 minutes, whirlpool the 3 oz Cascade, and dry hop the Citra.

Oooooooohhh man! That sounds delightful!

That's a lot of Crystal to me though. To each his own!

Going to cut way back on the crystal malt. For the whirlpool addition I am not too sure of what to do. I have tried hop stands (I think) where I chill the wort to 180-190 F and then pull out the chiller, add the hops, stir a bit and then cover for 30 minutes. Does this sound right? My wife loves IPAs so what keeps her happy keeps me brewing.

Going to cut way back on the crystal malt. For the whirlpool addition I am not too sure of what to do. I have tried hop stands (I think) where I chill the wort to 180-190 F and then pull out the chiller, add the hops, stir a bit and then cover for 30 minutes. Does this sound right? My wife loves IPAs so what keeps her happy keeps me brewing.

Yep. Drop it under 180°, cover, and leave for 30 min or so.

:mug:

How big a batch? Seems that 2 oz of Magnum at 60 is a bit...much. at least for me. Lots of bittering - like 95 right out of the gate.

Last batches had Cascade and Citra. Loved it.

I would want to work on the Centennial and Citra however.

Probably do something like
1 oz each of cascade and Centennial at 2
2. oz Citra, 1 oz Centennial, at flame out, or better yet, as stated above, the whirlpool/hop stand
1 oz Citra, 1 oz Centennial, and 2 oz Cascade 5-day dry hop

Just a thought anyway.

I will do some citra for dry hopping or maybe even citra, cascade and some centennial. Brewed this on Saturday and the hop trub was huge. My wife has not met an ipa that is hoppy enough for her so the 2 oz of magnum is the largest IBU level I have attempted so far. Hope this keeps her happy so I can keep 1/2 of the garage as a brewery. Looking forward to seeing hw this turns out in 6 weeks.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I will do some citra for dry hopping or maybe even citra, cascade and some centennial.

Hope it turns out great :mug:

I am aiming to brew a light crushable summer beer this coming weekend. only ~25IBU but will be doing 5 minute, whirlpool, and dry hopping with citra, cascade, and centennial.

Back