Uses for C-120?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartlebrewer

Reaction score
So...long story short wound up with 5 lbs of C-120 rather than C-20 like I needed. I included it in a recipe and was warned my brew might turn out sickly sweet and dark.
Anyone with any good ideas for it's use? It's already milled and I'd rather not toss it.
Cheers-

I had read that crystal 80 was the sweetest and crystal 120 imparted a roasted flavor along with the sweetness. I'm going to use it for color, sweetness and hopefully some roastiness in a sweet stout. . .

My favorite use of 120L is in an Arrogant Bastard clone. I use 1.5 pounds of it in a 5 gallon batch, with all chinook hops for bittering, flavor and aroma. If that's not something you're interested in, it can take a very long time to use up 5 pounds of it!

I use a little (6-8 ounces) in American ambers sometimes. Often, I'll use a pound of lighter crystal (20-40L), then the 120L in a small quantity to provide depth and a toffee/raisin flavor.

120 has dark fruit flavors that lighter crystals don't. You can use some in a lot of styles. Ambers, browns, stouts, porter, ect. JZ's amber uses a half pound. I make an american stout that I somethimes use as much as a pound of 150L or Caraaroma. 120L would still work but does not have as roasted flavor.
http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/JamilsAmber-RedAle.htm

Interesting guys, thanks...in a 5gallon grain bill do you think using 1lb of 120 would be overwhelming when making a Brown?

Latest posts

Back