US-04 instead of US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
Damnit! I am making a Blonde Ale and I ordered US-04 instead of Us-05 (both Safale)

I know 04 if used more for English Ales rather than Blonde American Ales. Will this substitute be ok, or should I just re-order some yeast? I'm unsure if there is a lot of difference in these yeasts. Here is my Recipe:

12 lbs. American 2 Row
.75 Crystal 15L
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.011
US -05 (But i bought wrong yeast)
Mash 152

Any thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated, thanks,

S-04 will produce more esters. If you don't have a firm grip on your temperature controls, you're going to get some that you may not like. S-04 has been known to give off bubblegum type flavors. For an American blonde, I would not use it. I'd get the S-05 you wanted in the first place.

If you must use it, try mashing at a lower temp than you would have to help dry the beer out more, as the S-04 is slightly less attenuative

I used S-04 once on an American style ale. I kept the fermentation at about 65*F for a week, and it came out pretty clean but only about 68% attenuation (mashed at 154). There were no unpleasant or particularly noticeable esters.

The good part was that it dropped clear after about 1 week in the fridge, so that was nice... I would do it again.

Just brew it....

I had good luck with S-04. Finishes quick and drops right out. I did not hydrate it, just sprinkled it on the 68* wort with added o2. The beer was a boddingtons clone. It was :( good.

Not much to say about esters, I haven't figured them out yet.

David :)

I made a series of American pale ales with S-04 and they turned out excellent.

Fermentation was at 68F, 80% attenuation and no esters whatsoever.

Back