Upping batches from 1 gallon to 5 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacandagabrewing

Reaction score
Hello All! So I've been making kombucha in one gallon batches for awhile now. I currently have a five gallon jar that I would like to start making those size batches with. My question is what to do with the scoby? The one I have is a normal sized mother. Would using it for 5 gallon batches put too much stress on it? If so what is the advice?

I do 5+ gallon batches and use a scoby from a one gallon batches to get it started with no problems.
I'd suggest making a one gallon batch and then using the scoby and the entire gallon of booch as your starter for the 5 gallon batch. Your scoby will grow to the size of the new container.

I do a version of continuous brewing. I currently use a Fermonster fermentor with a spigot. When my booch is to a point I like it, I pull one gallon and put it in the fridge in a jar w/ a spigot (no flavors) to drink straight. I also pull a gallon or two into separate containers onto fruit. Then put two gallons or so of new sweet tea into the Fermonster to ferment. To me the spigot is an important feature with larger batches. Pouring finished booch out of a large bucket with the scoby floating around seems like potential for a mess.

I like the Fermonster because I can see how thick my scoby is getting. I have had problems in the past with the scoby getting really thick, then seeming to get "air" pockets in the middle and those air pockets grow mold and things get gross. Now every few cycles I just pull the entire scoby and dump it. A new one grows back pretty quickly and this doesn't seem to impact the speed or quality of the ferment.

There is a great episode of the Sour Hour podcast where they focus on booch. http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/sour-hour-episode-72/. Very entertaining and informative.

I'm happy to answer any questions about my process or experience. Just let me know.

Enjoy!!!

It won't stress it but it will just take longer. I do 5 gallons at a time. I have a gallon jug of SCOBYs some are 2 inches thick. I pour them all in a 5 gallon beer fermenter with my honey and green tea. It still takes a week or 10 days for the Jun to finish. At that point I keg it and force carbonate it.

But once you do one 5 gallon batch your SCOBY will grow so the next time it will go quicker. And you'll be wondering what to do with a dinner plate size SCOBY.

Back