Ultralight Malt in Beersmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaplanfx

Reaction score
Ultralight Liquid Malt Extract seems to be a pretty common ingredient in the kits at my LHBS. I just starting using Beersmith 2 batches ago, the first was a custom brew, the second was from a kit my buddy bought. Well all the ingredients were in there (even the honey!) except for the Ultralight LME. Am I looking in the wrong place somehow? I substituted Pale LME for the time being, the listed OG in Beersmith was close to the OG on the recipe sheet and to the OG I actually go, so maybe it's just a naming convention issue?

-kap

The color of the extract is not going to affect the OG.

If you're concerned about hitting a specific color in the finished beer, you could find out the details of the extract from your LHBS and add it as a new ingredient in beersmith, perhaps using the pale LME as a reference. Personally, I'd just stick with using the pale LME in beersmith and not worry about it, ESPECIALLY if you're only doing partial boils (and not doing late extract addition...) in which case the beer color is up in the air anyway.

Back