Uh, so, what are they supposed to look like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndsgr

Reaction score
I planted hops for the first time this year and they took off after less than a week. I have 2 rhizomes of Cascade and 2 of Willamette.

Both are growing nicely, but one of the Willamette look a little odd. Anyone else have them look like this?

What I am assuming to be normal:
2012-05-02_20-09-50_813.jpg

What I am thinking looks odd:
2012-05-02_20-09-45_172.jpg

The funny part was that I had a conversation with my neighbor a few months back. I told him I was going to grow hops and he said, "as long as I don't see them, I wont call the cops."

I just thought it funny that they are both supposedly the same variety.

they look good. Get something for them to crawl up quick and they will be 5 feet in a few days.

They both look fine. The one you say looks odd, actually looks more normal than the first pic.

right....but the "one that looks like a pot leaf" is actually what they typically look like. I actually have never seen hop leaves look like the first pic (normal one).

There a ton of plants that look the same when they're just a couple inches tall.

Not only that but hops and ganja are in the family Cannabaceae so they're pretty closely related.

EDIT: Also, your neighbor is a ******.

EDIT: Also, your neighbor is a ******.

+1

looks likes good hops to me. once they start to vine out. get something for them to wrap around on. I used weed eater line so they can climb towards my fence.

It's not just him, my whole neighborhood is kind of suffering from ****** baggetry. Believe it or not, he's one of the okay ones. I never thought I'd live in a neighborhood where I'm basically the hippy in contrast to everyone else.

I bought the twine and some stakes a couple weeks ago. I'm doing something like a half tee pee up to the house, with about 13 feet of climbing line.

I just thought it was funny to have something that looks so similar to the cousin growing in the front yard. I guess it's just a newb thing, kind of like getting all excited over airlock bubbles or those currents in a brewing beer. :mug:

...who am I kidding? I still get excited by those.

As my plants are about 3 inches tall and the leaves are tiny, 5-node, and pointy, they could look suspicious so I think I should put a big ol' label that says "BREWER'S GOLD HOPS"

But the neighbors are cool. The vast majority know I brew and can probably piece 2 and 2 together.

Funny how the same variety of hop plant will produce different leaf structures. Alot of my centennial produce the rounder leaves at the bottom, then at about 2' move to the standard 5 point. However to answer the original ? yes they are supposed to look like both pic's

I've had a police helicopter fly really close to the farm.... and when i say close it was around 150 feet off the ground, made the trellis cables bounce. also a sheriff wanting to know what to tell people that kept calling what i was really growing. and department of Ag stoped by to ask because he had never seen hops before. you would think living in san diego people would have some idea?

hops do not like like their cousins. Man people are so dense. There are internet and picutres people can look up and say "Oh its not that"

hops do not like like their cousins. Man people are so dense. There are internet and picutres people can look up and say "Oh its not that"

Well what if they're too dense to do that? ;)

I asked my dad to grow hops for me since I am moving at least twice in the next years. His first question was "can I be arrested for this?"

Back