Trying to clone Spaten Octoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleev-les

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen a few recipe's in the Lager subforum, but if any of you guys have had Spaten's Octoberfest and have a clone recipe please share (or even if one of those recipes are similar). That is one of my favorite Octoberfests and if I can even come close to recreating that it would be awesome.

I haven't brewed this exact recipe yet, but it should come real close. If you try it, please let us know how it turns out! You can substitute any other German lager yeast too EXCEPT I recommend NOT using WLP820 which I hate, laggy and the worst of all lager yeasts.

48870202132_d5126586a2_o.png

You just made my morning :).. I will be trying this. Going to be buying a brew jacket to get my fermenting temps where I need and will most likely rack to a carboy after dia rest so it will fit in my fridge (fast ferment doesn't fit in the fridge to lager.

You just made my morning :).. I will be trying this. Going to be buying a brew jacket to get my fermenting temps where I need and will most likely rack to a carboy after dia rest so it will fit in my fridge (fast ferment doesn't fit in the fridge to lager.

If your planning on doing this Lager I would suggest you ferment in your carboy instead of the fast ferment. I have a fast ferment and did an Oktoberfest in march before I got my cf5 . I used my carboy and a fermwrap in chest freezer. I would suggest a fermwrap and inkbird to slowly ramp up your temp when fermentation is 75% done.

Last edited:
If your planning on doing this Lager I would suggest you ferment in your carboy instead of the fast ferment. I have a fast ferment and did an Oktoberfest in march before I got my cf5 . I used my carboy and a fermwrap in chest freezer. I would suggest a fermwrap and inkbird to slowly ramp up your temp when fermentation is 75% done.

I'm limited on cooling options to keep at lager ferm temps. I have been wanting (and have heard good reviews) on the brew jacket. I could keep at 50 degrees and up the temps slowly right from my fast ferment. My fridge is also my kegerator so I don't truly control the temp outside of being able to lager at high 30's. Is there any negative in using the fast ferment then moving to carboy just to lager (ferment and rest all in the fast ferment)? The only reason I'd even have to move is my space limitations and I can borrow a carboy from a friend which was my intent.

I'm limited on cooling options to keep at lager ferm temps. I have been wanting (and have heard good reviews) on the brew jacket. I could keep at 50 degrees and up the temps slowly right from my fast ferment. My fridge is also my kegerator so I don't truly control the temp outside of being able to lager at high 30's. Is there any negative in using the fast ferment then moving to carboy just to lager (ferment and rest all in the fast ferment)? The only reason I'd even have to move is my space limitations and I can borrow a carboy from a friend which was my intent.

If I were you and you can keep your fast ferment in the 53 ish area I'd do that . Then when its 75% fermented out start raising the temp about 4 degrees a day until it's at 66. Then leave for 3 days then go back down . Get it as cold as you can then keg it and place in your kegerator for lagering. You really dont want to do secondaries unless your racking on fruit or wood chips things like that . Bulk aging as well . Lagering is kinda like that but instead of going from FV to carboy for lager then to keg , just go from FV to keg and Lager. When doing Lagers it's better to have some temp control devices like inkbird , fermwrap, freezer or chiller . Heat wrap and inkbird will help big time .

If I were you and you can keep your fast ferment in the 53 ish area I'd do that . Then when its 75% fermented out start raising the temp about 4 degrees a day until it's at 66. Then leave for 3 days then go back down . Get it as cold as you can then keg it and place in your kegerator for lagering. You really dont want to do secondaries unless your racking on fruit or wood chips things like that . Bulk aging as well . Lagering is kinda like that but instead of going from FV to carboy for lager then to keg , just go from FV to keg and Lager.

Gotcha. That makes it even easier. Most of my temp control would be done through the FF and Brew Jacket since it has a fairly decent range. I can hold the FF at 50 or low 50s, move it up as mentioned then bring it down as low as possible before kegging. Makes sense to go right to keg, but wasn't sure the best approach. I appreciate the info. Definitely have a way forward now.

Also, don't use any CO2 in the keg while lagering or should I input just enough to not have an O2 layer on the beer?

2 minutes from my house is a restaurant called Old Stein. It's on tap all year. I may have to head there tonight haha..
Sounds like an authentic German place! Does the name refer to an old beer stein? If so you should let them know that 'old stein' just means 'old stone'; besides being a typical example of denglish, it's woefully inaccurate. A stoneware mug for drinking beer is actually called a steinkrug. They should change the name to "Der Alte Steinkrug".

Sounds like an authentic German place! Does the name refer to an old beer stein? If so you should let them know that 'old stein' just means 'old stone'; besides being a typical example of denglish, it's woefully inaccurate. A stoneware mug for drinking beer is actually called a steinkrug. They should change the name to "Der Alte Steinkrug".
Well the full name is “Old Stein Inn” so the “Old Stone Inn” sounds like a legit name. It is a great spot to eat and drink. Authentic German and I never leave disappointed haha

I haven't brewed this exact recipe yet, but it should come real close. If you try it, please let us know how it turns out! You can substitute any other German lager yeast too EXCEPT I recommend NOT using WLP820 which I hate, laggy and the worst of all lager yeasts.

I don't see any sauergut in your Spaten clone recipe and without that, IMO you are not going to get close to the correct flavor. That component is not subtle and is a huge part of beer taste in Munich.

2 minutes from my house is a restaurant called Old Stein. It's on tap all year. I may have to head there tonight haha..

I’d love to try that on tap... I had a bottle the other night and it had the same skunky taste that their Premium Lager does. I’m sure the green bottle is to blame. Decent beer other than that. I’d also like to hear how the recipe turns out if you do it.

I don't see any sauergut in your Spaten clone recipe and without that, IMO you are not going to get close to the correct flavor. That component is not subtle and is a huge part of beer taste in Munich.

Thanks. I have yet to experiment with sauergut but rest assured, it's on my list of things to try.

I’d love to try that on tap... I had a bottle the other night and it had the same skunky taste that their Premium Lager does. I’m sure the green bottle is to blame. Decent beer other than that. I’d also like to hear how the recipe turns out if you do it.

I haven't had it in a bottle yet. Found it on tap at 3 different restaurants I like. I am going to try to order my brew jacket in the next couple weeks then give this a go.

It's mostly about the flavor. It's prominent and quite different from acidulated malt.

Back