Trying to clone Monday Night Blind Pirate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
Anyone try to clone this? From their site (https://mondaynightbrewing.com/beers/blind-pirate/) I know the grain bill (but not %’s), the hops (but not schedule), ABV, and IBUs. Looking for some advice on these items and how to add the blood oranges. Thinking of taking 5 pounds of blood oranges, zesting and chopping pulp in a blender and adding to secondary, then racking and dry hopping.

Have you had the beer? You should have an idea what kind of beer it is and somewhat, how to reproduce the aroma and flavour. Does it ressemble a West Coast, a hazy East Coast or a mix of the two?

It uses some dank, resiny, potent hops, which I like a lot, so it seems to be a very potent, drinking potion. :)

The description uses the word " juicy ", so maybe skip the bittering charge, add lots of hops in the last 15 to 20 minutes and perform a whirlpool with 5-8 oz hops at a temperature lower than 160F. This will add lots of flavour and some aroma, with minimal bitterness, turning it into a softer, juicier IPA. Dry hop with at least 6-8 oz for 5 gallons and add the blood oranges maybe 2-3 days before the dry hopping. I also recommend only dry hoping for 3-5 days, so the hops do not add too much of a vegetal flavour. I have been experimenting with dry hopping for 48 and 72 hours and I get the best results that way.

I talked to the head brewer a few months ago and he said they add just blood orange juice that they get from somewhere in Florida. They add it to secondary. Hope this helps.

I just kegged 10 gallons of a wheat beer, somewhat of a clone of Shock Top, with 50/50 wheat and pilsner and some orange peel and coriander. I fermented in 2 carboys, and when primary was almost finished, I added 1 1/2 quarts of Kroger orange juice to one batch. Both are on tap, carbonating now. Will taste this weekend.

Last edited:
Have you had the beer? You should have an idea what kind of beer it is and somewhat, how to reproduce the aroma and flavour. Does it ressemble a West Coast, a hazy East Coast or a mix of the two?

It uses some dank, resiny, potent hops, which I like a lot, so it seems to be a very potent, drinking potion. :)

The description uses the word " juicy ", so maybe skip the bittering charge, add lots of hops in the last 15 to 20 minutes and perform a whirlpool with 5-8 oz hops at a temperature lower than 160F. This will add lots of flavour and some aroma, with minimal bitterness, turning it into a softer, juicier IPA. Dry hop with at least 6-8 oz for 5 gallons and add the blood oranges maybe 2-3 days before the dry hopping. I also recommend only dry hoping for 3-5 days, so the hops do not add too much of a vegetal flavour. I have been experimenting with dry hopping for 48 and 72 hours and I get the best results that way.

Good tips thanks. Yes we’ve had tons of it a house fav. Not hazy, copper color. IBUs are 55 so I thought I’d use the Columbus to get to about 50 IBU at 60 mins, then the rest of the hops for flavor, aroma and dry hop. I’m setup to whirlpool and have good results with that before, I usually chill to 180 then add.

Latest posts

Back