Trub Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffmanAK

Reaction score
So, I'm making a Raspberry Ale, and I'm about ready to bottle. I've been watching the secondary, and things seem to be comign along nicely. Though I recently took a closer look at the trub. (Note, this is my first fruit flavored beer).

The trub looks to be nearly 2 inches thick. Most of it looks spongey (fruit pulp I'd guess). So I'm figuring when I go to use my auto siphon, I'm going to need to try and hold it up above that as I siphon off, whereas I usually jsut let it rest on the yeast cake.

Or is there a better way/something else I could have done to prevent this?

Thanks!

In general, I always try to keep the siphon above the cake - better clarity in the keg/bottle. If you have that much trub in secondary, I think you are not racking cleanly enough from your primary. The whole idea of using a secondary is to get the beer off the cake for extended conditioning and clearing.

In general, I always try to keep the siphon above the cake - better clarity in the keg/bottle. If you have that much trub in secondary, I think you are not racking cleanly enough from your primary. The whole idea of using a secondary is to get the beer off the cake for extended conditioning and clearing.

If the fruit was added to the secondary, most or all of the trub may be due to the pulp.

ya I'm fairly certian most of the trub is pulp, it looks "spongey".

When I siphon it out to bottle, I'll just try to hold it a bit above the bottom, and not let it just rest ontop of the yeast cake like I usually do.

Are you using an auto-siphon? If so there should be a little cap on the bottom that will help prevent regular trub from transferring to a new vessel, it's not so good with fruit related trub however and I would recommend elevating the end of the siphon slightly to keep it off the bottom.

Oh most certainly have an auto-siphon, those things are great.

I'll just try to rig it somehow so that the tip is above all the pulp.

i have to say, i did my Wheat and added 3 lbs of fig to the secondary. to get it off the fruity trub, i used a big nylon grain bag over the auto syphon. (like a sock). worked pretty good. well i also did a banana wheat and i cold crashed it in the ice box for 3 days. Worked Great ! all the trub settled an turned really firm. held back 95% of the fruity trub. Good Luck!

I would take a clothes pin or something along those lines and clip it to the siphon in order to suspend the end off the trub.

the only problem with that is fruit beers usually have alot of coagulated pectin in suspension. so you either have to filter it, crash it, or say F#@* it ! what ever floats ya jammy!!

Is it normal to have some trub in the secondary, and if so how much?

Right now I have about a centimeter in my secondary

This is what it looks like, don't know if you can see it too well,(Try propping up and looking down at the screen) but this is where its at, at the thickest part.

scaled.php

scaled.php

Latest posts

Back