Tripel to a sour??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-to-the-B

Reaction score
Hello,

I made a tripel early this summer from a clone of Dry Dock Brewing's version which my local HBS is annexed to. The beer in itself had a really vigorous but short fermentation process and when it came to drink it in July, I put half the batch into a party pig and the rest in bottles. The beer ended up tasting good but really strong fruit taste (still did the "trick" though as I felt loopy after a few glasses) so I decided to let the batch age a bit to see if it would mellow out (I already chalked this up to the yeast not breaking all the sugars down resulting in the "fruity taste"). I tried a bottle near GABF week (Begining of Oct) it tasted better and less fruity. However I decided to bust a bottle out now since it's been a few weeks and the one I drank last night was sour! As far as sours go, I was pretty good with it as I love sour beers like "La Folie" or "Le Terrior". It tasted like a sour I'd buy honestly despite not intentionally pitching a lacto or brett into it. I woke up with no ill feeling so I think I'm good. I cracked another bottle I had open and it has less strong of a sour taste but still a hint. I have like 5-6 bombers of it hanging out conditioning since I brewed it. I've gone on to make 2 other beer after including an Oktoberfest style ale without any issue. This Tripel was a bit of a fluke.

I've seen how if people have a "infection" or worrisome issue during fermentation that they can store it for a few months and make a "sour". This had a mostly normal fermentation. The question is if I am OK with a "sour" would I just simply let it store longer (I keep it in my apartments old 1900s icebox...the ones they actually put blocks of ice into, it's in a very concrete covered room so it stays in the 75 degree "basement" range so I feel it's perfect for bottle conditioning). Or should I just pack them all in the fridge now?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back