Toucan Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

podz

Reaction score
Just started a Cooper's Toucan Stout this evening.

2 cans of Cooper's stout extract
1.5kg sugar
2 packs of Cooper's yeast

Topped up to 28 litres. Should finish @ about 5.3% ABV by this weekend.

It's real fun to do an extract when you are running incredibly tight on time - like I always seem to be.

12308694_1094057707305123_6707190550935625640_n.jpg

Toucans are popular in Australia, according to what I've seen on the Cooper's forums over the years. Should be good...:mug: The two 7g packets of Cooper's ale yeast rehydrated should be ok.

The two 7g packets of Cooper's ale yeast rehydrated should be ok.

I didn't rehydrate them and the whole thing was blowing hard 7 hours later.

Actually, the quantity came to 26 litres, not 28 - was a brainfart.

Should land at about 5.7% ABV.

Only problem with toucans is that you can't hit a low terminal gravity due to the high level of unfermentable sugars. Adding table sugar helps a bit to dry it out. I think this will finish at around 1.017, which is still a little sweet for my tastes.

That's why I rehydrate dry yeast. It gives more healthy cells at the start, & seems to help it finish a bit lower than you'd think. Cooper's ale yeast can be a beast though, especially rehydrated. I've found Cooper's ale yeast in 15g packets at Midwest & NB. Fresher than the 7g packets in the false lids.

That's why I rehydrate dry yeast. It gives more healthy cells at the start, & seems to help it finish a bit lower than you'd think. Cooper's ale yeast can be a beast though, especially rehydrated. I've found Cooper's ale yeast in 15g packets at Midwest & NB. Fresher than the 7g packets in the false lids.

Doesn't matter how much yeast you throw at unfermentable sugar, it will still not ferment. Such is the case with high extract content wort. Hydration or not, there is still a fixed amount of unfermentable sugar that the yeast is unable to eat.

Any yeast that starts blowing hard from dry in less than 8 hours is healthy.

Yeah, true. But when I do the Cooper's cans, for example, I toss in 3lbs of plain DME. Sometimes even some demerara sugar, usually a pound. But not always. When I made the Cooper's English bitter this last time, I switched to plain extra light DME & it came out better, showing more of the can's bittering. So brewed-in perception is also key.:mug:

Yeah, true. But when I do the Cooper's cans, for example, I toss in 3lbs of plain DME. Sometimes even some demerara sugar, usually a pound. But not always. When I made the Cooper's English bitter this last time, I switched to plain extra light DME & it came out better, showing more of the can's bittering. So brewed-in perception is also key.:mug:

DME will drop the terminal gravity somewhat, true, but not as much as sugar. God I hate putting sugar into beer but there is no other choice when time is short and extract is the only option.

Doesn't matter how much yeast you throw at unfermentable sugar, it will still not ferment. Such is the case with high extract content wort. Hydration or not, there is still a fixed amount of unfermentable sugar that the yeast is unable to eat.

That's not exactly correct!!!!!!

I'll grant you that it doesn't make much diference, but you can get lower gravities if you:

- pitch the correct amount of yeast
- pitch healthy yeast
- use high wort aeration rates.

I'm talking maybe .002 difference in the FG of the beer.

That's not exactly correct!!!!!!

I'll grant you that it doesn't make much diference, but you can get lower gravities if you:

- pitch the correct amount of yeast
- pitch healthy yeast
- use high wort aeration rates.

I'm talking maybe .002 difference in the FG of the beer.

I've produced some hifi interconnects that are made from oxygen free copper, glold plated contacts, and braided kevlar sheathing. You can improve your audio experience by .002% for a mere 20 grand. Free shipping, because customers like you matter. May we discuss your credit card details, please?

Yeah, I don't like using sugar in the recipe, unless it's used to balance things out a bit with other flavors I'm brewing into it. Like drying out sweeter flavors a touch, but keeping their flavors intact.

I love using sugar in my beers. But then again 90% of what I make is ipas and Belgians

Back