Totally New and Intimidated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i got a compliment on it from the guy that asked to try it at the feed store! (they call me the barley guy there) lol

And amen(sp?)...I like my beer better than Milwaukee's Best, it has more carmely flavor! but i can tell it's not as clean a ferment...

If the feed store guy liked it then it must have been good....those guys know their grain!!!

Thank you to everyone. I'm sort of leaning towards those inexpensive one gallon fermenter jugs the link above uses to make hard cider. I appreciate the constructive advice, and I'm sure I'll be back soon to report results!
A lot of stores sell 1 gal apple juice in a free glass carboy for about the same price as an empty carboy. Add a sachet of wine yeast and you can have a gal of cider in a week and a free carboy. Store juice gets around 5.5-7% without sugar additions.

Last edited:
A lot of stores sell 1 gal apple juice in a free glass carboy for about the same price as an empty carboy. Add a sachet of wine yeast and you can have a gal of cider in a week and a free carboy. Store juice gets around 5.5-7% without sugar additions.

Thank you. WHICH exact stores sell apple juice in a free glass carboy? I am in Washington DC and do not
own a car, can only ride the bus or train.

Thank you. WHICH exact stores sell apple juice in a free glass carboy? I am in Washington DC and do not
own a car, can only ride the bus or train.
I don't know your local stores, but many grocers carry something like the attached pic. Brand will vary by region. May be in the juice section, but sometimes in the "healthy" section. Whole Food's certainly has, but they're usually pricey. Maybe World Market, but their stock availability is variable. large_c45c166d-f7d7-4001-af26-9872f4c7b374.jpg

And maybe relax a little. There can be some snide comments by some, but nothing has been grossly out of line or Mod worthy, except maybe a blow-up rant by the OP.

In fairness, you reference a recipe for 21%abv rocket fuel and a high-gravity brew article as well as your affinity for 8% malt liquor. My assumption is that you are debating on cost/benefit of homebrew for cost savings rather than quality. I think that mostly because you essentially spelled it out in your post.

This basically describes almost every homebrewer stereotype and meets the criteria for so many troll threads in the past. Only thing missing was a reference to making this in a bathtub and maybe something about legality.

Point being: if you're being a troll, find a new bridge, but if you really want to learn, keep calm and keep asking questions.

I'm pretty sure that the persons who INVENTED BREWING were not standing around [-Removed- Mod.] BREWING IS MEANT TO GET DRUNK, as cheap as you can, flavor comes a DISTANT SECOND>

Brewing wasn't invented, it was stumbled upon by ancient people similar to farming, animal domestication, and other advances in human history. Brewing turned into a way to store grain and fruit long term, provide nourishment, and the process of boiling provided safe drinking water when such things were unknown and sanitation was a concept that did not exist.

Also dude, please, EAC is the preferred nomenclature.

Last edited by a moderator:
[Mod. EDIT - Removed OP's rant]

Cheap is a relative term to each person. Like it was mentioned you can set a goal to try and achieve (sub $1 beer), it may take a bit of time to achieve. I started by trying to keep it as cheap as possible, both equipment and ingredients. As life progressed, I've purchased more equipment to take less time (most critical now) and physical demands.

It sounds like there may be some local homebrew shops (LHBS) near by, they may have the cheapest ingredients or they may be through online retailers. Morebeer! and Atlantic Brew Supply have been the cheapest for me when I can't drive the hour and half to the LHBS. Also, if you try going to the local homebrew clubs, not only will they likely help you learn, but some members may have old equipment that they are willing to lend or sell to budding brewer.

Extract would be a simple way to learn the process. In a large stockpot (~3 gal), heat 1 gal of water until it starts to steam, turn off heat, add a pound of light dry malt extract, stir until it dissolves, bring to a boil (watch for boil overs), turn off heat, add half a package of cascade hops (0.5 oz), put lid on pot, set in sink with cold water, when cool to touch, transfer to fermenter, add yeast, seal fermenter with airlock, wait week or two, bottle, wait, consume.

When you're comfortable with that, I've done several all-grain batches with the Brew in a Bag method. I use a cheap 5 gallon paint strainer bag. Buy the grain premilled until, you decide it is the hobby for you. It may cost more, but it's cheaper than buying equipment for a hobby you're not sure of.

Also remember, this is the internet. Land of ash*$les and trolls. They reside everywhere. Ignore any comments you find offensive. And in the future if you want people to not immediately be start deriding you, pretend your grandmother is reading this and keep a civil and cleaner language. For perspective to some of the comments received, there are alot of people that come on here just looking how to get drunk, and people get defensive of their hardwork and dedication to a craft. Not justification, just perspective.

Furthermore, homebrewing belongs to no one. In ancient civilizations, every household brewed (rich and poor), and it was considered women's work.
:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bearcat is no longer a member here. He disqualified himself when he called other members cunts and told them to eat rat poison, while only being interested in making swill. I'm leaving the thread open, for others edification and because there is some possibility of amusement here.

Pruno is the way to go.

Bearcat is no longer a member here. He disqualified himself when he called other members cunts and told them to eat rat poison, while only being interested in making swill. I'm leaving the thread open, for others edification and because there is some possibility of amusement here.

Pruno is the way to go.
You can take my ketchup packets and bread yeast from my cold dead hands.

Pruno is the way to go.

i hope it wasn't something i said... lol

what this guy didn't realize is most of the people here have **** like this....

holyshit.jpg

but people like us end up having a brewing rigs that looks like this :

brewrig.jpg

Natty Light is currently selling 77 packs for $35. Good deal for people without taste buds who only care about cost

i still got em beat, by a long shot! i get a 108 beers for 8 bucks! or being that my last bag of barley had rip in it and they gave me a 2 dollar discount 6.50!

and if my taste buds are so poor, why the hell am i wasting my time smoking malt right now? and yes i have the hot plate plugged into a kill-a-watt meter, seeing how much juice i'm burning to add it to the cost in beersmith! lol

(and yes i liked bearcat...he didn't know what he was getting into, but i've been homebrewing a long time and know the score though) :mug:

Last edited:
honestly, i had the thought that i knew this is how it'd go. and i should have told him to PM me, and take the talk private, i could have helped him be making pruno in no time! or at least hard water! 'Get a bearcat of my own!' :taco:

i'd be thrilled to help lose a customer for steel reserve!

I actually sometimes still like Gennesse Cream Ale at $14.99 a 30 pack...to each their own. But I prefer @Yooper 's Haus Pale that I make.

and if my taste buds are so poor

You said it, not me. I don't question other people's palates, although there is usually a general consensus as to what is good beer and what is less good. My FIL homebrews, and doesn't make any modifications to his water. I'm pretty sure a lot of his beers have a fairly heavy chlorine off-taste. He thinks his beer tastes great, I don't especially after getting pretty deep into homebrewing. It's really all subjective though and who's to say his actually is good and mine sucks(maybe someday we'll like the taste chlorine provides and start adding extra to our beer).

You said it, not me. I don't question other people's palates, although there is usually a general consensus as to what is good beer and what is less good. My FIL homebrews, and doesn't make any modifications to his water. I'm pretty sure a lot of his beers have a fairly heavy chlorine off-taste. He thinks his beer tastes great, I don't especially after getting pretty deep into homebrewing. It's really all subjective though and who's to say his actually is good and mine sucks(maybe someday we'll like the taste chlorine provides and start adding extra to our beer).

lol, i was just thinking that this 'off-flavor' might go 'good' with some smoked malt and cardamom! it's just missing something!

Cheap extract kit would be from midwest supplies, $23 for a 5 gallon kit that includes the extract, hops, and yeast. With this you only need something that can hold 3 gallons of water to boil. If you want cheap alcohol get wine yeast and apple juice and make hard cider, add some sugar to boost the alcohol. It does boil down to quality level you want, and if you care about flavor or not. The canned (muntons, coopers prehopped types) beer kits need added sugars which could be just plain sugar but people recommend using extract for better quality. If you are looking for just cheap beer i don't know the prices where you are but around here it's $18 or less for a 30 pack of keystone ice, for decent priced beer Costco has their Kirkland brand bottles $20 for 24 and i believe their cans are cheaper, unsure of quality there or who they are rebranding. If looking for cheap buzz there is always wine for a few bucks a bottle or getting budget hard alcohol and either drinking it by itself, with water, or cheap soda. Anyways, it all depends on what your true goals are, and one way to save a little money if you time it right is brewing a new batch the same day you bottle a current batch and pitch some of that yeast into the new batch and then you don't need to buy another yeast.

OP since banned, so posted for educational "cheap strong beer making" / hooch purposes.....

My question from all this...... Can you make high ABV beer with beer yeast? Regardless how thin and crappy it might taste. Do you need other yeasts.

With today's 5 gallon munton and / or cooper extract kits (less than US$20 where I live - YMMV). you don't need any 5 gallon pot at all, or any fancy gear IMHO. Just something to warm up some water and mix your fermentables together. A 5 gallon plastic paint bucket with a lid and a hole in the top would be adequate. Use a wet towel in lieu of an airlock.

Bearcat could use table sugar as his fermentables, and possibly ramp up the alcohol by either reducing his batch water volume amount, or simply increasing sugar, and thus his o.g.

Not sure how this affects ferment time from pitching his yeast to completion, but pretty sure there is a simple calculation. Most 5% ABV extract kits are done fermenting in a week, so maybe 10-12 days for slightly higher o.g.

Bottling suggestions would be to either reuse 2 litre pop bottles. I've done this before. OR, I currently reuse Groclsh flip top bottles which are almost a pint 16 oz. I have amassed over 200 of these from a local recycling depot who initially gave them to me, but started charging me 15 cents a bottle for their "trouble". Still a cheap, but effective, bottling startegy.

So, assuming bearcat has a larger 1 gallon pot, he can buy a 5 gallon paint bucket with lid, and a wet towel, his outlay before actual beer product is the price of the plastic bucket. $7 at Home Depot.

$20 for any coopers extract kit includes a yeast pack. And the price of a 10 lb bag of table sugar. I'll guess this is all under $25 US for a 5 gallon batch of palatable beer at 4-5 % ABV. You could use the charts found on this site to estimate how much sugar is needed to boost ABV to 10%, 15% or more. People really go to 25%? Wanna make sure it's full fermented before bottling, that's for sure. Don't think OP cares too much for the taste.

Cleaning a bucket and bottles can all be done with milder soap and / or bleach. I wash all my bottles in the dishwasher and have never had an issue.

Can anyone see a flaw in my recommendation/process, other than what the beer might taste like? For instance, can you just make "hooch" beer by adding more sugar into primary? Don't see why not. Hope it helps bearcat.

Last edited:
How did I end up here?

i'm wondering the same thing....and i've posted here two years ago...or so..wait i know, i quoted @Bearcat....in the supporter private chit chat.........and also in this one, if you're one of the paying memembers that think i'm annoying, please be amazed....lol, the HBT algorithm is as complicated as the youtube one.....

Can you make high ABV beer with beer yeast? Regardless how thin and crappy it might taste. Do you need other yeasts.
Did you mean to say bread yeast? Yes you can make beer with it. Fleischmann's can tolerate around 10-12% ABV for example, and attenuation should be similar to most beer strains.
With today's 5 gallon munton and / or cooper extract kits (less than US$20 where I live - YMMV). you don't need any 5 gallon pot at all, or any fancy gear IMHO.
Making beer/hooch is easy, especially with extract. Your standard for acceptable quality determines how much extra gear you need.
the price of the plastic bucket. $7 at Home Depot
Huge unnecessary expense. Just use a sink or bathtub.
Bottling suggestions would be to either reuse 2 litre pop bottles. I've done this before. OR, I currently reuse Groclsh flip top bottles which are almost a pint 16 oz. I have amassed over 200 of these from a local recycling depot who initially gave them to me, but started charging me 15 cents a bottle for their "trouble". Still a cheap, but effective, bottling startegy.
Why bother with packaging when you can drink it straight out of the fermenter?
Cleaning a bucket and bottles can all be done with milder soap and / or bleach.
Or just water. Set it outside in the rain.

Hope this helps the banned member from 2 years ago with his hooch.

LOL, i think my idea of a storage tote was better, and it's something i've done actually.....

see above, if it's got enough alcohol, it really doesn't need to be carb'd, has enough bite with out it....

LOL, and the put it outside in the rain and UV sunlight, actually was a suggestion i got from @IslandLizard and it saved my beer, no more unintentional sours, thanks man!!

(and i could have thrown it out that instacart will probably deliver juice to his door, what i'm doing these days....10 gallons of hooch on my doorstep in an hour!!! turbo yeast, get's her done fast!!! :D)

Anything to avoid wasting money on a bucket. You could make a whole extra batch or two with that kind of money. ;)

with the storage tote you could fit it all in one container though.....(and, i'm going to guess make a person very jolly....) and wasn't this guy drinking 211? lol even $30 for 10 gallons of juice and $4 for 8 lb's of sugar would be cheaper...... :D

Did you mean to say bread yeast? Yes you can make beer with it. Fleischmann's can tolerate around 10-12% ABV for example, and attenuation should be similar to most beer strains.

Making beer/hooch is easy, especially with extract. Your standard for acceptable quality determines how much extra gear you need.

Or just water. Set it outside in the rain.

woah - assuming a tongue in cheek response from you, as my initial post was intended to help the OP.

I was recently searching around for short ferments, and high FGs when I stumbled upon this thread. I wrote my entire response, then realized the guy was banned. Sometimes I forget to look at dates. Think I have mistakenly replied to a few 10 year old posts in my search for "enlightenment"

My question regarding beer yeast is a legitimate one, and relevant to the OP request. How high an ABV can Ale yeast go, if I include enough fermentables, say OG of 1.080-90? Can you do this to make a 10 + ABV with regular Ale yeast? I don't intend to do it, but guess I am curious. As was the op.

The rest of what I posted works, nonetheless. You can make half decent extract home brew for under $30 without much fancy hardware which, despite the OPs poor attitude, was kinda what he was asking. Same would apply for many BIAB applications I suggest. Don't need a load of fancy gear.

Post mAy yet help someone looking for a cheap entry into the hobby. Or, I could just tell them to chuck it in a bathtub.

Last edited:
My question regarding beer yeast is a legitimate one. How high an ABV can Ale yeast go, if I include enough fermentables, say OG of 1.080-90? Can you do this to make a 10 + ABV with regular Ale yeast? I don't intend to do it, but guess I am curious.
Each strain of yeast has a different alcohol tolerance. Most will top out between 7-12% ABV, but some can go twice that high with proper care (WLP099 for example).

Back