Too much priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMAK

Reaction score
I brewed Midwest's Ferocious IPA extract kit, and when bottling I used the 5 oz of priming sugar per the directions. I'm slightly concerned because with all the hop sludge and yeast I only got a little less than four gallons of beer.

Should I be concerned about bottle bombs?

Beer has been bottled for two days, in 22oz bombers.

Should I recap or leave it alone?

5 oz is a bit much for less than 4 gallons. I tend to carb on the high side and using my ratio would have 4.2 oz for 4 gallons.

I cant personally speak to recapping because I haven't done it myself; it makes sense though. I have read others talk about it so hopefully you'll hear from those experienced with this.

Using this priming sugar calculator, and assuming you fermented around room temperature, you probably have between 3.0 and 3.2 volumes of CO2.

This is high, but shouldn't cause bottle bombs assuming everything else is ok (it was fully fermented prior to packaging and there's no contamination). Carry on!

I carbed 2.5 gallons of Grodziskie with 3.5 oz of corn sugar to get 3.5 volumes

no problems with bottle bombs, it turned out highly fizzy, which is to style

5 oz to 4 gallons is the same level. it will be highly carbonated, but the bottles should hold.

I say leave it alone

edit: BamaPhil is right, bottle bombs are more a problem with bottling before terminal gravity is reached

edit edit: "terminal gravity" sounds lethal, doesn't it? maybe I should just stick with "final gravity"

I appreciate the advice. I'll go ahead and roll with it. Hopefully it won't turn out stupid carbonated.

Back