Too Grassy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravelscratcher

Reaction score
I would consider myself a novice. I’ve been at it awhile, but this is a beginner question.

My newly brewed Centenial IPA is grassy, and not in a good way.
Maybe someone can tell me why, as I didn’t really have any issues during my brew (besides an errant bumble bee that flew into my boil...which I quickly fished out), and I’m using the same purified/filtered water that I use on all my brews.
I’m hoping it’ll fade if I leave it alone in the keg for awhile..like a month or so.

Details:
Mashed 155 for 60 m’s.
9 lb’s Pale Malt (2 row) US
5 oz Crystal 10
8 oz cara-pils/dextrine
2 lb’s Pale Malt (2 row) UK

Hops schedule:
1 oz Centenial: 60 m’s
.5 oz Centenial: 30
.5 oz Centenial: 15 m’s
1 oz Centenial: flame-out/steep
1 oz Centenial: dry hop - 3 days

Yeast: US-05

OG 1.060
FG 1.016
ABV 5.839

Primary 12 days (average temperature was between 59 - 65)
Cold crash keg w/ carb blanket: 48 hours
Force Carb and drink...too grassy.

I’m sure some might say it didn’t stay in the primary long enough, but I’ve had success with my 12 day primary and keg routine...and I hit all my gravity numbers for this recipe.

The only reason I cold crashed for so long, was because I forgot to use my muslin bag when I racked it over to the keg (and there were a lot of floaties), or otherwise I would have cold crashed and carbed within 24 hours...& drank.

Anyway, those are the details...looking forward to your input.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If it is grassy it's just hop particles in suspension. If you tasted it pretty quickly after kegging all that stuff might not had enough time to settle. If it's settled, it goes away after a few pours.

It’s still pretty hazy.
I’m going to put it in the chest freezer, and crash it at 35 for awhile, and see if I can clear it up/make the grassy disappear.
Thanks @Smellyglove.

That will help. But beware that the first pours will still taste grassy, since you're draining the hop material the first pours. Two days is usually enough.

I've had that on IPAs and Pale ales before. Probably just need to let it sit another 2 weeks. Some Grassy flavors can be attributed to just being a young beer. I still use primary/secondary( CO2 purge in secondary for IPAs) and leave an IPA in secondary for min of 3 weeks to let it settle out.

I think smellyglove nailed it. If you transferred plant matter that’s likely where your flavor is coming from. Let it sit cold for a while and dump the first couple pints.

Back