Too cold wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocLager

Reaction score
What happens if you pitch yeast into a wort that is say about 60 degrees? 55? Would this result in any off flavors?

Depends upon the yeast. Lager yeasts generally would be pitched at that temp. Ale yeasts at higher temps.

going above or below the recommended ranges of the yeast can cause off flavors.

what kind of off flavors?
Last yeast used was imperial yeast Napolean in a
Saison de Noel Extract Beer Recipe Kit

The recommended temp for that yeast is 65-78f . If you pitched at 60 it may climb up to around 65 because fermentation raises the temp. If it's still low 60's wrap a blanket around it or find a place a little warmer. Fermentation temp is key and is as important as cleanliness and sanitation imo.

Btw welcome to the HBT!

The question I have is, what is your fermentation temp (as opposed to your pitching temp)? If your fermentation temp is within range, I see the wort warming up to that and not being very active to begin with. I see only a very small chance at off-flavors.

You should be ok doc. I use US-05 most of the time. I like to pitch at a little lower temp, just to keep the fermentation temp down. I usually pitch at around 67-68. (depending on your room temp) my fermentation temp usually goes up to 72-73. I don't brew during the summer, because it usually gets pretty hot in cailfornia, & i have no AC in my apartment.

Back