Tomato Relish (chutney/catsup)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsyPaul

Reaction score
I figure this is as good a place as any to search for some good recipes.

My wife and her family buy tomato relish from some flea market to have with every serving of ham. Although I support small business 'n all that, they pay something like $10 per half-pint. I can make that for less than a dollar.

I've only made 1 tomato relish, a couple weeks ago, but looking online, I see a TON of random recipes. My family's recipe is for green-tomato relish, and has a way different taste (more tart and tomato'y, less sweet)

The recipe I tried used malt vinegar, which I think is WAY off. I'm thinking maybe white wine vinegar or just regular vinegar might be more appropriate. There was a tang that I recognized from the original version... but way more sweetness and way more tang than usual.

My original recipe was this: http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2008/10/tomato-relish-recipe.html

I'm quite handy in the kitchen. When my wife was pregnant, I went insane and homemade every condiment in our fridge... and now that my daughter requires less attention, I'm getting back to making things from scratch. Figured I would do something that will earn me brownie points with both my wife and my mother-in-law... :D

Looks good. I'll have to try that when we get the fridge fixed. I've had something like that as a BBQ sauce on ribs at Riverfest in Lorain before.

I'll post my results up as I try more recipes. I would definite reduce the amount of sugar, or cut the brown sugar with either yellow or white sugar. The molasses flavor came out a bit too strong for my liking - but that could have been enhanced a lot by the malt vinegar. I've never used malt vinegar for pickling or reductions, so I have no idea what the profile is like when it's cooked (only use it on fried fish :p)

Most of the recipes I find are from New Zealand, Australia and the UK... but that could be a terminology things.

My family is French, and my dad's green tomato relish is called "green catsup".

Cool topic....

Chowchow is something you see at farmers markets here, sickeningly sweet, slightly spicy salsa as far as I can tell.

The green tomato relish sounds interesting!

Green tomato relish is awesome! Some recipes are sweeter than others, but my SIL makes one that is truly the tastiest I've ever had. She refuses to give up the recipe, but I know it's one she found online & modified to her own liking...
I just don't know which one. She did the same thing with cole slaw, which is damned tasty BTW.
Regards, GF.

I am not opposed to looking online to find a recipe, but it is good to try something first and see what you like about it.

Back