Today's Homebrew News - New Curation Homebrew Blog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettwasbtd

Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All! I am working on a new blog project. I find myself constantly on the search for, and keeping up with, all the homebrew blogs out there. I wanted to keep track of the great articles I was finding and reading.

I know that not all of use have the time/dedication to search daily for such info so I created Today's Homebrew News to collect all that info. Each article linked to will have a brief description to help you quickly identify if it is something you want to spend your time reading or not

The site is pretty barebones, but I hope to eventual add on some cool resources (similar to my yeast strain chart in my signature).

Let me know your thoughts and If you yourself are a blogger and think you have a great article that I missed, send me a message via the sites contact form.

www.todayshomebrew.news

I know not as many users check this blog forum, but I would appreciate any feedback anyone has. I think I posted close to 20 new articles last week and plan to do so this week (assuming the community provides enough content for such!). I am working on setting up an email distrobution list to provide weekly emails where I would choose what I think are top 5 of the week.

Thoughts?

Since posting last we have linked to some good stuff:
Experiment - WY1028 fermented High vs Low
Hops - Do you grow your own? 4 Essential tips to get the best quality and yield
DIY Apple Cider Press
Sour Brewing mistakes
And a guide to brewing saison

As always check it out at: todayshomebrew.news

If you aren't following the blog, you might be missing out on some great stuff like:
Best Practices for a Quick Grain-to-Glass Beer
Recipe for Kentucky Common
Detailed review of Belgian and French saison Breweries
Ron Pattinson (Shut Up About Barclay Perkins) AMA
Lawson's Finest Liquids Double Sunshine Recipe
White Labs WLP611 Nordic Blend
Brewing with Oats

You can read it all here: todayshomebrew.news

So I am aware that building web traffic is slow at first, but I am only getting very few views. Maybe I misjudged the sites usefullness? Please let me know your thoughts.

I originally was thinking about starting up a podcast where I would literally read blog posts (there used to be a podcast that does this for the news) but then i realized that would violate a lot of copywrite stuff as well as potentially not driving taffic to the bloggers themselves. Oh well.

I think part of the issue is you're content sends traffic away from your site. I see the links open in new tabs, but once your just another tab, there's no guarantee the user will return.

While I think this site is helpful, I think it's counter-productive if traffic is your end goal.

If I recall Hive Mind Mead didn't get any traffic over 300 (that's including Spam, my own views, and crawlers!) for 8 months. After a Year I could rely on 400-800, and to date (4 years) anything under 1k is a bad month, with 2k + being a great month.

So I am aware that building web traffic is slow at first, but I am only getting very few views. Maybe I misjudged the sites usefullness? Please let me know your thoughts.

I originally was thinking about starting up a podcast where I would literally read blog posts (there used to be a podcast that does this for the news) but then i realized that would violate a lot of copywrite stuff as well as potentially not driving taffic to the bloggers themselves. Oh well.

I think part of the issue is you're content sends traffic away from your site. I see the links open in new tabs, but once your just another tab, there's no guarantee the user will return.

While I think this site is helpful, I think it's counter-productive if traffic is your end goal.

If I recall Hive Mind Mead didn't get any traffic over 300 (that's including Spam, my own views, and crawlers!) for 8 months. After a Year I could rely on 400-800, and to date (4 years) anything under 1k is a bad month, with 2k + being a great month.

Quoted for your notification

Quoted for your notification
Thank you for the feedback. I guess i will plan to at least continue for a year and reasses. I have analytics tools so i can see how many people are hitting my pages, as well as which outbound links are being clicked. I am only getting one maybe two hits a day and then maybe that person clicks on 2 of the outbound links.

I do think the basis of the site does have a negative effect on google rankings since I don't show up very high there. I am working on some of my own content which would keep readers there.

My goal is to help homebrewers quickly scan and find a few articles to read in their limited time. I figured it would be something someone would check in on once or twice a week - gleen through the titles and pick a couple of articles to read. I am probably just way overly optimistic on the viewership at this point, but I will just trust in the internets exponential growth :)

Thanks again for responding. It means a lot

Back