To Peel, or Not to Peel? Lemon Peel Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayZeus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm getting ready to make my second home brew and my wife is asking me to do something like Linie's Summer Shandy.

The recipe I am following calls for a couple packets of unsweetened lemonade but I was wanting to add some lemon peel for an extra kick of lemon.

I'm thinking 1 oz for a 7 gal preboil volume should be good but I'm not sure when to add it. The recipe calls for a 90 minute boil with hops being added at 60 minutes... I'm guessing I should add the lemon peel during the last 30 minutes but I would love to get some opinions on when (or even if) I should add this.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210323_092921.jpg
    20210323_092921.jpg
    734.9 KB · Views: 7
I did a wheat beer recipe like that. One ounce of lemon peel @60 minutes and two ounces of dry hopped "lemondrop" hops. Tasted like lemonade.

Oh man... the wort turned out super bitter. I hope that will mellow out during the fermentation period. Thoughts?

Back