American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zombie Dust and Dark Lord are the two 3F brews that I want to try but haven't had yet so I can't compare to the original.
My PM/BIAB version was ready for consumption on Tuesday and boy, this is a great recipe. Thanks skeezer!!

Finished up at 6.55% ABV, nice and crisp. Hop aroma and flavor was great, not overpowering. May have liked a touch more hop bitterness in their but all in all, this could easily be a staple in my fridge. Just wish the price of Citra at my LHBS didn't bankrupt my Homebrew funds :D

Here's a pic of the finished product:

NewImage-1-1.jpg

Just poured a Zombie Dust - this looks very similar in color, and I have a similarly shaped glass, oddly enough. Just thought I'd let you know, haha

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

i recently picked up two cases of ZD at three floyds, and have a clone about a week into the fermenter. will post up a side by side shot when the beer is done fermenting (if these cases last that long)

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395882204.227681.jpg

Did AG with 1968 yeast. Color as you can see is spot on, so much so I cannot remember which glass has the real ZD in it. Great recipe, thanks.

Just racked mine to the secondary last night. It looks suuuper clear already. I used WLP002 and got a SG of 1.010 when I checked it last night. Did anyone else finish this low? Ended up with close to an 80 minute mash at 152 since we almost forgot to get the sparge water heated up. Could the longer mash be the reason?

Is everyone still doing the aroma hop additions as is? Anyone move them to a hop stand and how did it work out?

i brewed this again a month ago. i only used FWH and flame out additions. 3oz dry hop. hop aroma and flavor is level 9000

for the record - i added hops at flame out as well as in the hop back

And how would you recommend I add them without a hop back?

personally, I use a paint strainer bag and dunk it like tea after flame out. about 10 minutes or so of that and a good squeeze when youre done (you'll want good gloves).

you might consider upping the FWH addition to make up for the bitterness you'll lose by moving the aroma additions.

Yep, I was planning on doing that. I was thinking more like 30-45 mins for hop stand though. But I was thinking of doing something like this:
I'll be doing that when I brew this in a few weeks - this is tentatively the hop schedule I was thinking of using:

.75 oz FWH
1.5 oz 10 min
3.75 oz hot-steep 30 mins
3 oz dry hop

I'm not going for an exact clone so I just designed this based on past experience for what I thought would work well.
I'm only doing 5.25 gal, so the 0.75 oz FWH is a slight increase from the original recipe which is for 6 gal.

Just racked mine to the secondary last night. It looks suuuper clear already. I used WLP002 and got a SG of 1.010 when I checked it last night. Did anyone else finish this low? Ended up with close to an 80 minute mash at 152 since we almost forgot to get the sparge water heated up. Could the longer mash be the reason?

Transferred mine to secondary about a week ago, and I had hit 1.012. I don't recall the details of how the mash went at the moment, but I was surprised, too. I might have done a 75-minute mash (BIAB).

I'm going to brew a 12 gallon batch of this to kick start my brew season as I drank up most of my reserves over winter break. It's also going to be my first non-Belgian n a looooooooooong time. I'm using S04 for ease, and no dry hopping or anything. Just multiple additions. Also I'm using 2-3 ounces of Motueka in there along with the Citra. Should be somewhere in the ZD, MH9, Pranqster spectrum. Not worried where at all.

Just added WY1056 yeast to my version. Tasted my gravity sample and can't wait for the finished product. Thanks Skeeter!

So are we deviating from the original recipe? I am hoping to brew this right after the my Allagash..

can someone provide a straight consensus? I know its hard but would loved to lock in my ingredients so I can order them.

So are we deviating from the original recipe? I am hoping to brew this right after the my Allagash..

can someone provide a straight consensus? I know its hard but would loved to lock in my ingredients so I can order them.

I made the recipe exactly as is the first time around and it was great.

I was just curious about changing the aroma hops timings and amounts and moving some to hop steep to maximize aroma. But now I think I'm leaning towards brewing as is. Still undecided.

I brewed an eight gallon batch of zombie dust yesterday. I can't wait to try it. All of those citra hops smelled awesome all day.

It is on my stove as I type this. I love the ZD grain bill. I love Citra. I really want to mix in some other hops, but I love ZD so much just the way it is I can't bear to mess with it.

Brewed a 5gal PM version today. Man do I love the smell of Citra. Can't wait to try this out.

Thanks for the recipe skeezer!

13g batch boiling now. Overshot my volumes, minor crisis, boiled excess on stove and ended up with 15g right at my target of 1.059. Extra 2g, whoops!

I might reward this bad boy with some dryhopping after all. What do you guys do, drop 1oz into a muslin and put it in for 5 days? More than 1oz per 5g? I'll have three 5g buckets.

I have brewed this recipe now 3 times and plan to brew many more as long as Citra hops are plentiful. Good thing I stocked up a little. This beer is awesome. I would love to try the real thing sometime to compare. Thanks for all of the good info.

13g batch boiling now. Overshot my volumes, minor crisis, boiled excess on stove and ended up with 15g right at my target of 1.059. Extra 2g, whoops!

I might reward this bad boy with some dryhopping after all. What do you guys do, drop 1oz into a muslin and put it in for 5 days? More than 1oz per 5g? I'll have three 5g buckets.

Yeah, I use muslin bags and I have a large stir bar that I sanitize and drop in with hops. I'm not a fan of using pellet for DH but my LHBS was out of leaf and I needed to get this brewed. I think most are dryhoping with 3oz per 5gal although I think the consensus is somewhere between 2-3oz.

I'm sick of pellets period. No matter what I do, they plug everthing up after it's cooled and going into the fermenters. I've put off getting one of those hop screen baskets, and I think it's time. My brew days are always fun until that. I've made false bttoms, tube screens, slotted manifolds, blah blah blah.

I can sympathize, Komodo. I bought a hop basket and haven't looked back. It makes a huge difference.

I did it the cheap way. A circular wire frame that hangs off the kettle and i tie a hop bag around it and just let it hang into the wort. Metal coat hanger.

I'm sick of pellets period. No matter what I do, they plug everthing up after it's cooled and going into the fermenters. I've put off getting one of those hop screen baskets, and I think it's time. My brew days are always fun until that. I've made false bttoms, tube screens, slotted manifolds, blah blah blah.

dude - just buy a few hop bags. i really like these: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/9BY-14-STEEPING-BAG-P648.aspx

I have some questions:

1 - Is US05 not recommended?

2 - What will be the change of cutting crystal off and adding some more meladoiden malt (6%)? Will that make the beer more orange in color?

3 - Increase amount of carafoam to 6% will change malt aroma/taste?

Has anyone not dry hopped? I'm not as worried about getting a straight ZD clone, just something similar, maybe somewhere between ZD and Magic Hat 9? I used Motueka and Citra in the boil and am not opposed to dryhop but wondering if it'll be worth it. I don't ever dry hop Belgians (which is all I ever brew).

I guess tossing in 1 oz per bucket won't hurt anything. Just thinking out loud.

Has anyone not dry hopped? I'm not as worried about getting a straight ZD clone, just something similar, maybe somewhere between ZD and Magic Hat 9? I used Motueka and Citra in the boil and am not opposed to dryhop but wondering if it'll be worth it. I don't ever dry hop Belgians (which is all I ever brew).

I guess tossing in 1 oz per bucket won't hurt anything. Just thinking out loud.

Never skipped the dryhop, and it is worth it.

Do you plan to add apricots?

I like to dryhop saisons and some sours. I would dryhop Belgian IPAs and pales if I ever made them.

New brewer here. For the Zombie Dust I was wondering if the dry hopping was done for the primary or secondary fermentation.

I just brewed a clone of Bell's Two Hearted Ale and it has me add the dry hop addition when I transfer it to the secondary fermenter, so I was wondering if this is common or maybe just particular to the Two Hearted.

A lot of people don't use secondary, so it is jut personal preference really. Personally, I rack to a keg, then dry hop in that, then carb and cool.

Would there be a difference in taste if i were to dry hop in the primary vs dry hopping in the secondary?

I'm planning on bottling and so far I have no preference as to whether a secondary is necessary.

If you wait till primary is complete, I guess it would not make a difference. However, Ive heard people talking about yeast cells embracing the aromatic compounds of hops and getting it to the thrub...

It looks like it calls for 3 oz to be dry hopped so maybe I'll do 2 oz in the primary and then 1 in the secondary. anyone have any thoughts about that?

New brewer here. For the Zombie Dust I was wondering if the dry hopping was done for the primary or secondary fermentation.

I just brewed a clone of Bell's Two Hearted Ale and it has me add the dry hop addition when I transfer it to the secondary fermenter, so I was wondering if this is common or maybe just particular to the Two Hearted.

There technically is no secondary fermentation. There is just, fermentation. After the initial ferment is done (maybe 4-7 days), many like to transfer to another vessel and off of the yeast cake. I guess this is to prevent off flavors from dead yeast (autolysis) but this is not an issue for the home brewer. This may be an issue for LARGE scale brewers using huge conical tanks where the pressure at the bottom of the cone is enough to kill yeasts.

For the home brewer, leaving a beer on the initial yeast cake isn't an issue and considering the potential for introduction of contaminants, is avoided by many. ie. don't mess with it if you don't have to. Fermentation will continue at this point, just slower. One problem with transferring to a new container (secondary) is that you could potentially stop the ferment and not reach the final gravity you were shooting for. If you had just left it, it may have continued further.

I'm not an avid dry hopper, but it is usually done just after the bulk of the ferment is done.

Latest posts

Back