This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Android it's on the Sym keyboard section 2nd page

°°°°°°°

On PC, i keep charmap open so I can also do fractions and the cents symbol

Sent via Android

On an iPhone, press & hold the zero key and a small menu pops up, allowing you to choose the degree symbol.

6 years ago I graduated the HVAC program in College, and have been consistently told from potential employers: "you don't have enough experience".

Like how the hell am I supposed to get experience if you wont give me experience? I even applied at a mining company up in Nunavut called Baffinland, and they were looking for FIRST YEAR apprentices. I'm a fully licensed technician, but I had to start somewhere, right?

They also told me "you don't have enough experience". YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A GODDAMNED FIRST YEAR APPRENTICE, HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE DO I NEED goddammit.

So after having paid for an extension on my license (when they expire, you just cut a cheque to the TSSA and they extend it for another two years) twice, I allowed my license to expire. Because now, 6 years after my training with zero experience, who's going to hire me?

Now I work for a moving company, and this company has the contract to shift around all the tables and chairs and podiums (etc etc) at the college I graduated from. Today we had to tear down the tables and curtains from the Career Fair the college was hosting.

All that tuition and cost in books, and what am I doing with myself? Rolling up carpets, and moving tables.

Over here cops can shoot you right between the eyes if you look at them funny. There is no court nor recourse nor accountability. But the newspapers tell everyone what ******** they are.

I didn't know they give your cops squirt guns. Thats funny!!!

police_officers_who_epitomise_kindness_and_goodwill_640_05.jpg

6 years ago I graduated the HVAC program in College, and have been consistently told from potential employers: "you don't have enough experience".

Like how the hell am I supposed to get experience if you wont give me experience? I even applied at a mining company up in Nunavut called Baffinland, and they were looking for FIRST YEAR apprentices. I'm a fully licensed technician, but I had to start somewhere, right?

They also told me "you don't have enough experience". YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A GODDAMNED FIRST YEAR APPRENTICE, HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE DO I NEED goddammit.

So after having paid for an extension on my license (when they expire, you just cut a cheque to the TSSA and they extend it for another two years) twice, I allowed my license to expire. Because now, 6 years after my training with zero experience, who's going to hire me?

Now I work for a moving company, and this company has the contract to shift around all the tables and chairs and podiums (etc etc) at the college I graduated from. Today we had to tear down the tables and curtains from the Career Fair the college was hosting.

All that tuition and cost in books, and what am I doing with myself? Rolling up carpets, and moving tables.

I feel for you. I'm retired now, but it used to drive me crazy getting turned down for jobs when I knew I was more than qualified. One example: before I worked outside the U.S. I got turned down not because I didn't have the skills (welding, fabricating) but because I didn't have the overseas experience. WTF? Were they afraid I might get lost in an airport? And just how do I get that experience?

I also got turned down for a job because I had been to college. Way too over educated for their taste, even though no one was knocking down my door offering employment because I had been.

but... but... but... that couldn't happen if you were maintaining the proper following distance!

learn to drive! actual snow must be terrifying for you!

/ahole

thanks for posting that, really nothing dude could have done to avoid that

Yeah and there are cases of parallel roads, for example where two arteries merge together on the exterior of cities - there are a lot of those where the roads aren't straight and if something flies off one road the trajectory path puts it across the other road.

There is really zero excuse for not cleaning off your vehicle, not matter how large it is. If it's that large and full of snow and ice on top then refuse to drive it until it's clean. That's the right answer.

Yeah and there are cases of parallel roads, for example where two arteries merge together on the exterior of cities - there are a lot of those where the roads aren't straight and if something flies off one road the trajectory path puts it across the other road.

There is really zero excuse for not cleaning off your vehicle, not matter how large it is. If it's that large and full of snow and ice on top then refuse to drive it until it's clean. That's the right answer.

yep

That wili work if you are short haul. Over the road drivers that need to park during a snowstorm don't have that luxury, or a ladder, to clean the top of the trailer.

That wili work if you are short haul. Over the road drivers that need to park during a snowstorm don't have that luxury, or a ladder, to clean the top of the trailer.

that's OK. they're just liable for any damages, injuries or deaths caused by their negligence

why does it matter if there are not "a lot" of deaths?

the law says "clean that **** off"

so, clean that **** off.

otherwise, I'm sure your "there aren't A LOT of deaths caused by snow/ice coming of (sic) vehicles, so I guess I'm not responsible for the one I caused because it was terribly inconvenient for me to clean my vehicle" defense will go over well with a jury in a negligent homicide case.

but, because there are more deaths caused by drunk drivers, we should ignore other causes of death because there aren't "a lot" of those

you and your logic are incredibly flawed

A lot of people don't follow the rules or do what they should do. In this case it due to laziness, indifference and ignorance.

I believe this is pervasive in with semi trucks, so all you can do is approach slow moving trucks carefully with the thought it might happen.

What else can you do? Other than beotch about it here.

the law says "clean that **** off"

so, clean that **** off.

#1, I'm not sure we've established that the law says that, universally. Perhaps some jurisdictions have such a clause, but I don't believe it's everywhere.

#2, you're applying a black-and-white rule without allowing for nuance. Your "one-size-fits-all" solution is not actually practical. Sure, it's easy for me to brush a dusting of snow off of the top of my car. But what if we had freezing rain overnight, and my roof is covered in a thick sheet of ice? Eventually, that ice is going to come off if I don't remove it before getting behind the wheel. But how am I to remove it? Do I take a scraper to the roof of my car and ruin the paint/accelerate rusting? It took me 10 minutes just to scrape off the windshield and my side windows - how much time am I to invest ruining the finish of my roof?

What if I have a Hummer? I can't reach that roof. What if we have a minivan and my wife is 5'5"? She can't reach the roof to brush the snow. So what, she just doesn't drive that day? Because you're going to panic if a little snow comes off of her roof on the highway?

And as repeatedly mentioned already, what about tractor trailer drivers? That's a HUGE surface area, and even if they had a way to get up onto their roofs (they don't), it's extremely risky for them. How do you weigh the lives potentially saved by having every trucker completely clean their roofs of all snow against the injuries and deaths of truckers falling off of their trailers in a pointless exercise to prevent you from having to see snow?

But sure, stick with your "BRUSH/SCRAPE YOUR VEHICLE COMPLETELY CLEAN ALL THE TIME NO MATTER WHAT" decree. It's impractical and will obviously never happen, so I'll instead continue to drive defensively and be prepared.

#1, I'm not sure we've established that the law says that, universally. Perhaps some jurisdictions have such a clause, but I don't believe it's everywhere.

#2, you're applying a black-and-white rule without allowing for nuance. Your "one-size-fits-all" solution is not actually practical. Sure, it's easy for me to brush a dusting of snow off of the top of my car. But what if we had freezing rain overnight, and my roof is covered in a thick sheet of ice? Eventually, that ice is going to come off if I don't remove it before getting behind the wheel. But how am I to remove it? Do I take a scraper to the roof of my car and ruin the paint/accelerate rusting? It took me 10 minutes just to scrape off the windshield and my side windows - how much time am I to invest ruining the finish of my roof?

What if I have a Hummer? I can't reach that roof. What if we have a minivan and my wife is 5'5"? She can't reach the roof to brush the snow. So what, she just doesn't drive that day? Because you're going to panic if a little snow comes off of her roof on the highway?

And as repeatedly mentioned already, what about tractor trailer drivers? That's a HUGE surface area, and even if they had a way to get up onto their roofs (they don't), it's extremely risky for them. How do you weigh the lives potentially saved by having every trucker completely clean their roofs of all snow against the injuries and deaths of truckers falling off of their trailers in a pointless exercise to prevent you from having to see snow?

But sure, stick with your "BRUSH/SCRAPE YOUR VEHICLE COMPLETELY CLEAN ALL THE TIME NO MATTER WHAT" decree. It's impractical and will obviously never happen, so I'll instead continue to drive defensively and be prepared.
Couldn't have said it better.

as I was saying, you go ahead and ignore the law. what you seem to fail to comprehend is, just because it's INCONVENIENT for you to obey the law does not mean you can ignore it or that it does not apply to you. nor are you not liable for any damages caused by your neglect in following the law

You keep saying that it's against the law. It's not. At least, not where I am. Around here (Ontario, Canada), section 74 of our Highway Traffic Act states:

74. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway,

(a) unless the windshield and the windows on either side of the compartment containing the steering wheel are in such a condition as to afford the driver a clear view to the front and side of the motor vehicle; and

(b) unless the rear window is in such a condition as to afford the driver a clear view to the rear of the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 74 (1).

It's the law to remove snow/ice from our windows, it doesn't say ANYTHING about removing it from the roof.

So stop saying "it's the law." It's not.

You may not like that people don't brush off their roofs (might one call it a "peeve?"), but they're not doing anything illegal.

Sometimes accidents happen. Get over it. I've seen MANY videos of wheels coming off of vehicles, at speed, and crashing into oncoming cars. That can injure/kill people. So should we all be required to check all of our wheel nuts every time we get into our cars?

did you see this video?

if you didn't, watch it or STFU

the driver was not following too close and could do nothing to avoid the snow/ice from the vehicle in front of him

his only other courses of action were

• run into the ditch
  • run into the car in the next lane

so, as I was saying, you go ahead and ignore the law. people do it every day.

what you seem to fail to comprehend is, just because it's INCONVENIENT for you to obey the law does not mean you can ignore it or that it does not apply to you. nor are you not liable for any damages caused by your neglect in following the law

If you watch the video, you'll see that the driver did not slow down before the ice hit his windshield.

Here's a point you aren't taking into consideration. That sheet of ice does not fly backward into his vehicle. It was likely still going forward, or at least stopped. He drove his vehicle into that sheet of ice. If he'd have made any significant effort to brake his vehicle, the ice would have missed him. The highway looks dry, so there isn't a reason the driver couldn't have braked.

did you see this video?

if you didn't, watch it or STFU

the driver was not following too close and could do nothing to avoid the snow/ice from the vehicle in front of him

his only other courses of action were

• run into the ditch
  • run into the car in the next lane

so, as I was saying, you go ahead and ignore the law. people do it every day.

what you seem to fail to comprehend is, just because it's INCONVENIENT for you to obey the law does not mean you can ignore it or that it does not apply to you. nor are you not liable for any damages caused by your neglect in following the law
Yes, I watched it. Several times. You apparently don't realize this, but just to the left of the accelerator in your vehicle is a device known as the BRAKE pedal, which can be used to slow the vehicle to avoid an obstacle in front of you. He had more choices than changing lanes or taking the ditch. Just a fraction of a second of braking force would have dropped that ice sheet in front of him - but you watch the video, there was no change in speed.

What you also can't seem to grasp is, it is NOT the law everywhere. Heck, I read through the .pdf used as "supporting evidence" earlier. About a half dozen states have a law specifically requiring it - a couple dozen or so have clauses where the driver can be cited for damage to other vehicles for *anything* coming off his vehicle. Requiring removal of snow/ice from the roof, and being held liable for damage caused as a result of not doing so are two entirely different things.*

If it were the ironclad law you seem to think it is OSHA would require trucks to have a ladder to access the roof, and tie-off points for fall prevention. How many trailers do you see with that? There would be de-icing equipment at every major truck stop in the northern US. I've been all over Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, and Nebraska... Never seen one.

Sure, for some drivers, it's a matter of convenience. But for trucks, it is literally a matter of SAFETY. Putting a driver on top of the truck to shovel 6" of snow is a SAFETY PROBLEM. Those trailers are not designed to have people on top of them, simple as that.

I have been driving in the upper midwest for 20 years, averaging over 500 highway miles a week for the last 13. Know how many times I've seen a chunk of ice large enough to do damage like that come off a truck? I'll give you the hint - it's zero.

*It is no different than rocks. A rock kicked up by the truck in front of you breaks your windshield, he is not liable. A rock falls off the truck in front of you, the driver IS liable. I'm working on my fourth windshield replacement in the last decade from rocks. Never had a problem with snow/ice.

I'm not jumping into another argument about driving, because everyone thinks they're the best driver.. however I disagree. In my opinion:

- He was following too close, at that speed
- He was putting himself into an unsafe situation. Even if there was no ice, he would've ended up tailgating the vehicle ahead of him until either of them moved. That is not safe practice.

Just my 2 cents. The only thing you can do on the road is expect the worst possible outcome and leave yourself an out.

Fairly certain they're all short, based on how many times I've had to reach something off the top two shelves at stores for random people.

I'm a short wife, and I appriciate people like you. In fact, it really annoys me that they stack thing up like a jenga game on the top shelf at many stores!:D

There is not a western country that does not have a general law about endangering traffic.

All of the time that is required. Nobody gives a rat's äss about how shiny your car's roof is.

Don't buy a large vehicle if you're too short to clean it off.

Nobody is going to die from falling 4 meters into a pile of snow. I think the pointless exercise was the taxpayers funding of your primary education.

People drive defensively and still get hit with the stuff. There are overpasses, on-ramps, off-ramps, cloverleafs, merging roads, all sorts of things that are extremely common. You don't even need to have a vehicle in front of you to get hit by some idiot's negligent laziness.

You were done a while ago. You just didn't know it.

Spoken like someone who doesn't have the first f'n clue about physics or EMS, or has ever jumped from 10'+ onto a hard surface (like, oh, a parking lot) and felt the impact of even a controlled landing.

You fall on your head from THREE FEET, and it can paralyze or kill you.

I'm done with this debate.

This is not a debate thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back