This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. You tell them that you don't need help, then they move 5-10 meters away and watch you from behind the shelf.

What? No cameras?

I think there must be a Murphy's Law of in-store help. If you don't need help, you will be asked by 2 or 3 people if you need help. If you do need help, no one's around.

In all honesty I had no idea there was even a thing called italian beef...

It's a Chicago specialty.

Italian Beef

Thinly sliced roast beef cooked in an au jus sauce piled high on a thick, crusty bread roll. Usually served with mozzarella and sweet peppers and extra au jus for dipping and known as a "cheesy beef." Having au jus poured over the whole darn thing is another option.
Can also be served with an Italian sausage as a garnish. This is a subspecies of Italian Beef called an "Italian Combo."

All in all, one hell of a sandwich and you see it on menus everywhere here.

VS.

Philly Cheesesteak

Greasy Arby's covered in EZ Cheez flattened between a bread-like substance and the whole thing looks like it was sat on by an overweight Flyers fan

never had an Italian Beef, but have seen plenty on various Food Network shows

I would like to have some!

It's a Chicago specialty.

Italian Beef

Thinly sliced roast beef cooked in an au jus sauce piled high on a thick, crusty bread roll. Usually served with mozzarella and sweet peppers and extra au jus for dipping and known as a "cheesy beef." Having au jus poured over the whole darn thing is another option.
Can also be served with an Italian sausage as a garnish. This is a subspecies of Italian Beef called an "Italian Combo."

All in all, one hell of a sandwich and you see it on menus everywhere here.

VS.

Philly Cheesesteak

Greasy Arby's covered in EZ Cheez flattened between a bread-like substance and appears to have been sat on by an overweight Flyers fan

Mmmmmm...loves me some Italian beef.

Philly cheese...not so much. That's like something you microwave at the 7-11.

what's the opposite of a pet peeve?

because that's what Wegman's is.

awesome variety of beer, an incredible selection of various gourmet cheeses, 2, yes, that is TWO deli sections, a butcher, baker, but no candlestick maker.

plus pizza, wings and pepper shooters (prosciutto-wrapped provolone, stuffed into a cherry pepper.. firkin YUM)

we have TWO in our neighborhood. you're allowed to be jealous

Left Northern Virginia 6+ years ago, only thing I miss is Wegman's. You sir, are a lucky one.

was having this argument over in another thread

"classic" philly cheese looks like Steak-Ums with Cheeze Whiz on it.

GAK!

Left Northern Virginia 6+ years ago, only thing I miss is Wegman's. You sir, are a lucky one.

Hey! Giant Eagle isn't .. that.. bad.. right? :D

I'm surrounded by Wegman's. Love their seafood department. Swordfish steaks!!!

Authentic Italian beef is hard to find here. But there's a little place near me that's run by some Chicago ex-pats. They do it well. And the red hots, too.

Now if we could only get a Giordano's pizza in this town...

I did forget to mention their seafood dept.

And... go there early on a Sunday.

27178120.jpg

My pet peeve is being around adults who don't parent their kids....especially when they are from your sig other's side of family....and you have no choice but to be exposed to it periodically...(finds the nearest cliff and walks off it, shooting self in head on the way down just in case...).

Italian beef and Chicago dogs are great. But a dog from Ted's or Louie's in Buffalo is 5 times better .. and a real beef (rare) on a Kimmelweck roll from Buffalo beats the pants off anything Philly or Chicago.

The 'i' in Kimmelweck should be a u with an umlaut .. but the taste is what matters.

Authentic Italian beef is hard to find here. But there's a little place near me that's run by some Chicago ex-pats. They do it well. And the red hots, too.

Now if we could only get a Giordano's pizza in this town...

I heard Giordano's is opening up a Denver location, so there might be hope for you yet. Lou Malnati's will ship you a frozen deep dish anywhere in the country. I've done it before, it works really well so give that a shot to get your fix

Italian beef and Chicago dogs are great. But a dog from Ted's or Louie's in Buffalo is 5 times better .. and a real beef (rare) on a Kimmelweck roll from Buffalo beats the pants off anything Philly or Chicago.

The 'i' in Kimmelweck should be a u with an umlaut .. but the taste is what matters.

Easy now. I won't claim your wings if you don't claim my dogs

:) the wife is from Chicago and loves to make the dogs with neon green relish, sport peppers, fresh tomato and maybe a dill spear .. if we have to we stoop to Vienna beef dogs and regular mustard, but far prefer Sahlen's dogs and Webers horseradidh mustard - both from Buffalo. We call it a Chibuffalo dog. She makes the poppy seed buns. A Sahlen's dog MUST be cooked over charcoal, but we live where grilling is a year 'round sport.

I heard Giordano's is opening up a Denver location, so there might be hope for you yet. Lou Malnati's will ship you a frozen deep dish anywhere in the country. I've done it before, it works really well so give that a shot to get your fix

Denver's about 600 miles the other way for me. But it's encouraging to see that they are expanding. Maybe we'll get one in the Twin Towns. But Minnesotans are kind of funny about other regional dishes--some things just don't do well here.

I did stumble on to a Giordano's when I was in Tampa a few years ago. It was a block from my hotel.

But for now, I'll have to eat real Chicago pizza in Chicago. I have never seen it here.

lived in Minneapolis for 3 years but never had a Juicy Lucy. never heard of it at the time (mid 80s)

lived in Minneapolis for 3 years but never had a Juicy Lucy. never heard of it at the time (mid 80s)

They're still popular, and every pub has one. Overrated. In fact, kind of gross. Bite into one and liquid cheese (about the viscosity of oil) comes gushing out.

But, people love 'em here. Some places do variants, like bleu cheese, etc.

Cheese steaks are about the only good thing to come out of Philly in the last 100 years. Let's not piss on their Wheaties too much, it's about all they have ;)

Denver's about 600 miles the other way for me. But it's encouraging to see that they are expanding. Maybe we'll get one in the Twin Towns. But Minnesotans are kind of funny about other regional dishes--some things just don't do well here.

I did stumble on to a Giordano's when I was in Tampa a few years ago. It was a block from my hotel.

But for now, I'll have to eat real Chicago pizza in Chicago. I have never seen it here.

I thought they were opening a Giordano's in uptown? It may already be open.

Whoa, look out, we've got a badass here!

images

I don't have a moustache and do my glasses are wire rim. I rarely wear slacks. That whole outfit is too close to monotone. My computer is way nicer. I'm usually on a tablet, and even that is better. That wood paneling is pretty sweet, though.

And I don't smoke cigarettes anymore, but when I did, they damn sure weren't nasty ass Newport. Crack heads smoke Newport.

The US-style "fake" friendly/helpful shop assistant always annoys me, I will ask for help if i need it, leave me alone till then.

Here in finland, a lot of foreigners consider finns rude and quiet, but personal space is holy here, and finnish people will happily not talk at all for long periods of time, without feeling "uncomfortable silence". I love it, you can talk if you want, but if you don't, no worries.

You don't have the patent on avoiding idle chatter. Our family of Danish heritage is quiet unless there is something important to say.

Great Grandfather even change the spelling of his last name to avoid the silly chatter of the Norwegians in the area. They kept telling him he spelled his name wrong, should end in "son" rather than "sen".

I don't have a moustache and do my glasses are wire rim. I rarely wear slacks. That whole outfit is too close to monotone. My computer is way nicer. I'm usually on a tablet, and even that is better. That wood paneling is pretty sweet, though.

By omitting mention of it, I think it's safe to assume though, that that is in fact your haircut.

I hate having to explain Italian Beef to non-Chicagoans, who almost always say something stupid like "so it's basically a Philly cheesesteak right?"

:smack:

It is NOTHING like that disgusting sludge from Philly. Grrrr!!

Or when you talk about the sandwich being dipped in jus, "so it's like a French Dip?"

Uh, no. It's not.

:) the wife is from Chicago and loves to make the dogs with neon green relish, sport peppers, fresh tomato and maybe a dill spear .. if we have to we stoop to Vienna beef dogs and regular mustard, but far prefer Sahlen's dogs and Webers horseradidh mustard - both from Buffalo. We call it a Chibuffalo dog. She makes the poppy seed buns. A Sahlen's dog MUST be cooked over charcoal, but we live where grilling is a year 'round sport.

Urm.... When are you open?

Need the Chibuffalo dog.

What? No cameras?

I think there must be a Murphy's Law of in-store help. If you don't need help, you will be asked by 2 or 3 people if you need help. If you do need help, no one's around.

Oh there are also cameras everywhere and dedicated uniformed security guards in every shop. Plus RFID and/or exploding-ink-tags on all merchandise. Plus high-value items in locked cabinets. Plus walk-through scanners at each cash-register and shop door.

Like I said, the obsession with theft-prevention here is insane - the cost is way higher than the amount of loss it prevents. But, of course, they pass it on to the consumer. Just one more reason why Finland is one of the most expensive countries on this planet in which to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back