This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I go through the drive thru at any fast food chain and they hand you the bag with the top open.

Here's one. I saying I'm going to grab a bite. Carry-out. Didn't eat lunch.

I ask "Do you want anything?"

I get the standard answer "No I don't want anything. I'm not hungry."

I'm like, "You're sure??"

"No I ate a late lunch. Where are you going?"

I say"Poorboys, probably getting an Italian beef with fries."

"No, I'm Good."

------ 20-30 Minutes Later -----------

I am back, sitting down getting ready to chow on my Gyro Plate with fries.

"Wow! That looks good. You mind splitting that?"

Me "Really? You're fricken kidding me. Right?"

"No"

Me "No"

"Why do you have to be an a$$?"

[I'm thinking who? Who's being the a$$ here?] :confused:

I know both answers to this question. One is correct, but the other is the real answer, you ass.

Store checkout clerks who say "here ya go!" instead of "thank you" when the transaction is complete. It's like they're saying "you spent your money, now GTFO."

I don't ask for much, but a little courtesy would be in order.

Get over yourself. You bought a pack of gum, not the whole store. If you got what you paid for and a pleasant, "Here ya go!", you got all you were entitled to.

When I go through the drive thru at any fast food chain and they hand you the bag with the top open.

Why? You know you're going to open it up to check the contents anyway. They're leaving the bag open to help you out.

Or are you the guy who doesn't check, drives all the way home, in the next county, in the snow, just so he can drive all the way back and go into chicken nugget rage at the counter?

Why? You know you're going to open it up to check the contents anyway. They're leaving the bag open to help you out.

Or are you the guy who doesn't check, drives all the way home, in the next county, in the snow, just so he can drive all the way back and go into chicken nugget rage at the counter?

I get it, I do. But I worked in the industry and was always told to double fold the bag to keep the contents from getting cold. I guess that was back when you didn't second guess if the entire order was there or not.

I'm the guy who drives all the way home, but if the order is then wrong, gets over it because I don't have the time or energy to argue with a fast food joint over $4.

I know both answers to this question. One is correct, but the other is the real ass.

Not sure I follow...

I somehow gather this is a test to see if the answer will ever be yes. Willingness to share regardless of the circumstances.

Customers (like one of my coworkers) who go to order food or ask for something at a retail store or bar or otherwise and say "Yeah let me get...."

Show some respect morons. The person working there is not your slave and does not need to be told to get them something; how about asking for what you need with a please and thank you?

They're not doing you a favour - it's their job. I'm paying them to get me something.

(Pulls up to a drive through in super-polite world)

Clerk through speaker: "Good afternoon, how are you doing?"

Me: "I'm doing pretty well, thanks for asking. How's your day going?"

Clerk: "It's been pretty steady, but I don't mind too much. My cat's actually been sick lately, and the work helps keep my mind off of it."

Me: "Oh no, that's terrible! I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything I can do to help?"

Clerk: "No, it's OK, thanks for your concern. We've got a great vet, so he's getting really top-tier care. What would you like today?"

Me: "Well I don't mean to be a bother, but if you're not too busy, would you please prepare me a Big Mac with no pickles, and a small Coke?"

Clerk: "Shouldn't be a problem, I'll see what I can do. That'll be $5.95, come on around to the first window when you get a chance."

Me: "Thanks so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to do this for me."

Clerk: "You're welcome, I'm sure you'll return the favour one day."

Guy in car behind me: "WTF IS TAKING SO LONG, HURRY THE HECK UP, MORON!" (lays on horn)

I actually had to put some thought into this fictional conversation, as I hard a hard time thinking of what the clerk would say besides, "What can I get you today," and "Can I get ...", i.e. the verboten phrasing. Even still, "Would you please prepare me" sounds incredibly awkward and clumsy. How else are you supposed to ask for what you want, besides "Can I get/Can I have?"

a drive-thru in normal-polite world

"welcome to McDonald's, may I help you?"

"could I please have...?"

They're not doing you a favour - it's their job. I'm paying them to get me something.

(Pulls up to a drive through in super-polite world)

[Edit: I deleted the conversation for brevity.]

I actually had to put some thought into this fictional conversation, as I hard a hard time thinking of what the clerk would say besides, "What can I get you today," and "Can I get ...", i.e. the verboten phrasing. Even still, "Would you please prepare me" sounds incredibly awkward and clumsy. How else are you supposed to ask for what you want, besides "Can I get/Can I have?"

a drive-thru in normal-polite world

"welcome to McDonald's, may I help you?"

"could I please have...?"

Whats missing in this is whether you actually know the people behind the counter. I think its different if you know each other. If you know the person from repeated visits or know him/her from church, school or whatever.

When you don't know them. Its not got that personal connection.

I go to Buffalo Wild Wings every Monday Night. The bartenders know me and my friend. One time I go on Monday Night Football. Bears are playing, bar is packed to the hilt. Standing room only.

A friend and I are behind the first row of stools, middle of the bar. The lady sitting in front of us turns to us and tells us the bar tenders are slow as fook. Im like ok. We're hanging out waiting to get a chance to order. 3-5 minutes goes by before she turns around to ***** about the slow service to us. I think the thought was she was going to get the bartenders attention for us.

When she turns around to say something again. She says "WTF.... How'd you get those beers??????"

Well, the bartenders saw us standing there, so they pulled two beers; a tall Fat Tire and a tall Newcastle Brown Ale. They walked out behind the bar and hand delivered them to us. Wading through the crowd to get to us. Never had to ask for a beer.

We tip well and get great service. They know us. The lady didn't get it or know that we're regulars.

Thought that was pretty cool.... :rockin:

"Let me get" is a common colloquialism in some parts, and many people will be surprised that it is considered rude.

I tend to listen more for tone, meaning, and expression than phrasing. Words aren't rude, people are.

A phrase can still be a pet peeve. I have a few.

I worked at a McDonald's for a year and a half. tone and body language are generally horrible coming from fast food customers. but we also had a large number of very polite customers. I had also noticed that employee/customer interaction can usually be manipulated by one or the other, but arrogance usually stands in the way. the whole idea of, "How dare you!" seems to be on either side of the counter.

I learned to listen for tones and watch facial expressions and body language at a very young age. sometimes I over analyze, but most of the time I get what people are really saying. I have come to the conclusion that most (not all) people are downright rude and arrogant. I see it in places of business more often than not. but I have watched attitudes change with nothing more than a smile and a little positive reinforcement. I don't like it when people treat me like crap, so I tend to be polite and respectful when dealing with people in general. but I also have a problem with acting the way people treat me. kind of the, "This must be what you want me to be, so I'll be that just to show you what it's like."

whether or not I know the server is irrelevant. I always ask politely with a "please"

at a McDonald's drive-thru, I reply to the disembodied voice politely with a "please"

at Buffalo Wing Factory (better wings, better beer selection than BWW), the beertender greets me by name, tells me about anything new on tap, with an emphasis on hoppy or local and I respond to her politely with a "please"

during a conversation with my Mom, the BigHair once mentioned how polite and gentlemanly I was and my Mom was shocked. "Really? Rob? My son, Rob?"

I didn't understand why she was surprised; that was how SHE raised me.

Maybe it's a regional thing. I'm thinking about it, and I'm not even sure whether or not I interject a "please" with my drive-through order. I'm certainly not rude to them, I'm simply polite, and I place my order quickly, clearly, and efficiently, so I don't hold up the people behind me or sow confusion on the other end of the speaker ("Did he want no pickes on both burgers, or just the Big Mac?"). Honestly, I don't even think about the "please." I do, I'm pretty sure, always throw a "thanks" when receiving my order at the second window, but I think that's just a reflex. I'm Canadian - we're notoriously polite anyway.

Over-politeness drives me crazy. The third or fourth time I hear "sir" I want say "I get it, you really, really, really respect me. But give me a cup of coffee and you will be out of life forever so ease up with the "sirs".

I know both answers to this question. One is correct, but the other is the real answer, you ass.

Get over yourself. You bought a pack of gum, not the whole store. If you got what you paid for and a pleasant, "Here ya go!", you got all you were entitled to.

Whoa, look out, we've got a badass here!

images

Over-politeness drives me crazy. The third or fourth time I hear "sir" I want say "I get it, you really, really, really respect me. But give me a cup of coffee and you will be out of life forever so ease up with the "sirs".

sir or ma'am is a different story, you have to earn that from me

growing up, I was taught to say it to your elders. well, I'm the elder now. I don't mind being called "sir" but don't expect anyone to say it.

in the Navy, I was expected to address officers that way. I didn't join right out of HS, so I was older than the junior officers and most of them were downright idiots. I got around being disrespectful by addressing them by rank.

The "sir" and "ma'am" thing is more prevalent down south, but I still hear it around here once in a while in informal situations. When someone calls me "sir," it makes me wonder what they're up to, like they're trying too hard to be nice.

I can see using it to get someone's attention, rather than "hey you!"

I love this thread. So many VERY different people that, under no other circumstances other than a shared interest in brewing, would ever want to put up with eachothers $h!t

Complete and utter nonsense. You couldn't be more wrong. The gall of some people...
/sarcasm

Anywho, maybe it's just that I adopted my dog since I moved here, but this town is full of more free roaming dogs that have escaped people's yards than I have ever seen anywhere else in my life. I carry pepper spray when walking mine in case any of them turn out to be aggressive, and about every month or two one of them follows me home and I have to figure out what to do with them. Largely depends on whether they have tags on, which is not often. Joy.

This is not counting the numerous "attack Chihuahuas" that are left unleashed on front porches on the regular during the day. One of them will eventually push their luck too far and get punted into the next zip code.

My place, I should have enough beer stockpiled to send a few dozen people to the hospital

When ordering food, fast-food or real restaurant, I say "I'll take..." and then order whatever I am ordering.

But of course, I always say please. The combo really throws some people off.

The US-style "fake" friendly/helpful shop assistant always annoys me, I will ask for help if i need it, leave me alone till then.

Here in finland, a lot of foreigners consider finns rude and quiet, but personal space is holy here, and finnish people will happily not talk at all for long periods of time, without feeling "uncomfortable silence". I love it, you can talk if you want, but if you don't, no worries.

I hate having to explain Italian Beef to non-Chicagoans, who almost always say something stupid like "so it's basically a Philly cheesesteak right?"

:smack:

It is NOTHING like that disgusting sludge from Philly. Grrrr!!

The US-style "fake" friendly/helpful shop assistant always annoys me, I will ask for help if i need it, leave me alone till then.

A lot of places train employees to ask you if you need help, for the soul reason to let it be known that they see you. Will be there if you need anything, and will see you if you take something.

Here in finland, a lot of foreigners consider finns rude and quiet, but personal space is holy here, and finnish people will happily not talk at all for long periods of time, without feeling "uncomfortable silence". I love it, you can talk if you want, but if you don't, no worries.

Does that apply to the women as well, that they can be silent for long periods of time?

I think that's common among many people from Scandinavia in general, and to some extent, Germany as well. It's sometimes misconstrued as aloofness, but I think it's better described as being "reserved." It's actually kind of nice to go to a restaurant in Europe and not listen to 100 people who love to hear themselves talk.

/Lots of Scandihoovians here in the Twin Cities.

They do it here, too, perhaps for different reasons - they're trying to help ensure that nobody ever manages to steal anything. The obsession with theft prevention in this country is just insane.

Try walking into a shoe store or an Alko and spending 5 minutes alone browsing the inventory without being harassed. Not gonna happen.

They do it here, too, perhaps for different reasons - they're trying to help ensure that nobody ever manages to steal anything. The obsession with theft prevention in this country is just insane.

Try walking into a shoe store or an Alko and spending 5 minutes alone browing the inventory without being harassed. Not gonna happen.

Do they also follow you around and hover while you're browsing?

It wasn't a house warming - it was a "protujuhla" for our oldest daughter (my step-daughter). Protojuhla, I don't guess there is a word in English for this term but it is roughly equivalent to a bar mitzvah for atheist teens.

Her grandparents on her father's side are extremely religious, so they had to be armtwisted to show up in the first place. Showing up with an attitude, I gave him an attitude adjustment right in front of his wife.

As I am curious about the concept of protujuhla , i tried to Google this. Seems like the word in English is Prometheus, but the context of what protujuhla is, is not the same as the word Prometheus. but the concept of Prometheus camp vs confirmation camp in Finland kind of explains what I'm guessing would be called a Prometheus party if this concept existed in English. Amazing the different types of cultural things that can't be explained by a term in a different language.

I hate having to explain Italian Beef to non-Chicagoans, who almost always say something stupid like "so it's basically a Philly cheesesteak right?"

:smack:

It is NOTHING like that disgusting sludge from Philly. Grrrr!!

In all honesty I had no idea there was even a thing called italian beef...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back