Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People who intentionally escalate an issue unnecessarily. Add in gross exaggerations and flat out lies to the mix and it really pisses me off.

There is only one of me for the two buildings and the problem was dealt with in the amount of time that it would have been dealt with even without your escalation to the higher-ups that paints me and the work I do in an extremely negative light.

This. So much this.

However I have to hand it to my boss. He apparently went and talked to the offending co-worker about it and said he nearly strangled him for what he did. (Yes the exaggerations and lies were that significant)

I land on my feet most of the time too, it's just unnecessary and petty. I handle my ish, usually like lightning fast. My predecessor used to take weeks to just move a phone or change a lightbulb. I don't get that kind of leeway.

I land on my feet most of the time too, it's just unnecessary and petty. I handle my ish, usually like lightning fast. My predecessor used to take weeks to just move a phone or change a lightbulb. I don't get that kind of leeway.

You mean you and a coworker, right? I mean, it does take two electricians to change a light bulb, right?

haha! "I ain't gots no idea whut y'all are saying, but here's some home brew and Donnie Yen kicks a$$! Y'all bring me any Szechuan Shrimp? Woooo! Let's git this party started!":rockin:

Sounds a lot better than anything Kerry has pulled out of his...
hat. :D
Regards, GF.

So, an automated process has to go to a manual solution for a short while, because two projects are not lining up. When it was pointed out that one step runs 20 some times a day, the boss told me to meet with people and start the research to automate the process........

So, an automated process has to go to a manual solution for a short while, because two projects are not lining up. When it was pointed out that one step runs 20 some times a day, the boss told me to meet with people and start the research to automate the process........

If you can find a way to automate all staff meetings, that'd be great.

Any HR types want to interpret this annoying bit of sentence construction?

"Possesses and applies both specific and broad knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of the field of specialization to the completion of assignments"

What the heck does that mean?

"Possesses and applies both specific and broad knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of the field of specialization to the completion of assignments"

I'm not an HR person, but it looks like a generic sentence that could be used for just about ANY job posting. Maybe language from a form template that needed to be fleshed out with specifics before going live.

Cut & paste HR work.

I'd assume it means "we know what we're doing and we'll do it"

I read it the same way.

"Possesses and applies both specific and broad knowledge" = knows
"of principles, practices, and procedures" = about
"specialization" = whatever the hell this job is about
"to the completion of assignments" = so we can trust you to do it

... without drama.

Im not a HR person, i am just seem to be someone who can read through bull****

some-funny-thoughts-from-twitter-on-coworkers-21-photos-211.jpg

Good anti-coworker post on Chive today if anyone needs a chuckle.

2 things have me annoyed with coworkers. First, if you receive a phone call, jot down the damn message and pass it along to the person the message is for. Secondly, had a coworker refuse to drive since there's snow out. We live where it snows. If you can't drive in the snow, move.

2 things have me annoyed with coworkers. First, if you receive a phone call, jot down the damn message and pass it along to the person the message is for. Secondly, had a coworker refuse to drive since there's snow out. We live where it snows. If you can't drive in the snow, move.

I skip work about one snow storm a year because I hate dealing with the people on the road who are under prepared to drive in the snow... Going 30MPH on the highway because you don't have snow tires is not a me problem, you live in New England, prepare for winter accordingly.

Seriously, in Buffalo? That's like the king of "lake effect" snow...

I would expect some folks there might forget how to drive on clear pavement!

I skip work about one snow storm a year because I hate dealing with the people on the road who are under prepared to drive in the snow... Going 30MPH on the highway because you don't have snow tires is not a me problem, you live in New England, prepare for winter accordingly.

I solve this problem by leaving for work at 3 AM before the plows make it impossible to leave my neighborhood until 9 AM when the crazies are out. Bonus, I get to do a lot of 4-wheel drifts in my RWD Volvo wagon on four Blizzaks. Cops oddly find this humorous and I have gotten a few thumbs up.

I was listening to a podcast (streaming), when the internets went down. You can tell pretty much instantly when that happens because it's like someone flips a b!tch switch and everyone starts complaining at once.

One of my coworkers, who doesn't understand how buffering works, noticed that my podcast was continuing to play even though the internets were no more. She then accused me of "hogging all of the internets" and preventing anyone else from having any. :rolleyes:

I was listening to a podcast (streaming), when the internets went down. You can tell pretty much instantly when that happens because it's like someone flips a b!tch switch and everyone starts complaining at once.

One of my coworkers, who doesn't understand how buffering works, noticed that my podcast was continuing to play even though the internets were no more. She then accused me of "hogging all of the internets" and preventing anyone else from having any. :rolleyes:

Toilet Zone episode from the 60s - power goes out in a neighborhood and everybody is wondering why. Then one guy has power, it goes out then another guy has the same. Suspicions rise and soon everyone is at each other's throats. The camera pans to a couple of aliens watching the melee from a distance. One comments how they don't need to attack to take over the planet; just play with our utilities a little and we'll kill each other off.

I would expect some folks there might forget how to drive on clear pavement!

It's amazing how many cars with out of state plates you see 30 ft off the highway, backwards, sideways and in a ditch. This year wasn't bad (yet), so far we've got all our snow in 1-2 days really.

The lady at work that sucks at her job. I've mentioned her before... today my hatred is towards her using big words that make no sense in the context she uses them, just to make it sound like she knows what she is doing. She also likes to say them differently now and then, further revealing the fact she's utterly clueless.

ie. verbiage, verbage / quid pro quo, quip roquo / intrinsically safe, trinzikly safe etc...

giphy.gif

It's fun to see that happen in a cube farm. All the prairie dogs standing up, looking around, as if the answer to their Internet problem is in the next cube.

It's fun to see that happen in a cube farm. All the prairie dogs standing up, looking around, as if the answer to their Internet problem is in the next cube.

*Pokes head up from cube, accuses coworker of stepping on my ethernet cable

I'm generally a pretty positive person but my counterpart is quite the opposite. Lots of complaining a long part of the day. I try to do my work in peace (or browse HBT while pretending to look busy) but it makes it tough. Generally after every phone call, I get a recap that is never done in a positive manner.

The lady at work that sucks at her job. I've mentioned her before... today my hatred is towards her using big words that make no sense in the context she uses them, just to make it sound like she knows what she is doing. She also likes to say them differently now and then, further revealing the fact she's utterly clueless.

ie. verbiage, verbage / quid pro quo, quip roquo / intrinsically safe, trinzikly safe etc...

Oh god... That reminds me of annoying coworker traits:

Buzzwords

Now, buzzwords refer to real things. The "Internet of things" is real. "The cloud" is real. "Big data analytics" is a thing. I can have a meaningful conversation with someone about any of those topics and what they really mean to companies and people.

But most people can't. Most people use the buzzword thinking they'll sound current, but at a fundamental level have no idea of what it means.

1 of 2
11 of us (all adults mind you) spent 45 minutes in a meeting coming up with our "departmental objective". You know what departmental objective means? It's a GD motto. The brilliant ideas that were brought forward were "everyday is a new chance for me to do my best", and "we live and apply our quality standards every day" when it came time to ask me for my input, I asked my manager, are these supposed to be ideas for process improvements or just general thoughts?
"We're just going for a general consensus of what our departmental objective should be".....

Thought about jumping through the plate glass window on our second story conference room just to escape the BS.

2 of 2
Manager brings me into a private conference room... I'm thinking Jesus, what did I do?
I'm being assigned 50% more work, but no considerations have been made and it's not in the budget for any kind of compensatory review or bonus.
I'm taking over one persons entire job, plus continuing 50% of mine. Not even a spot bonus or consideration of a review of the possibility of an increase?

I will be updating my resume this weekend.

Anybody know of any connections in the insurance business? (Trust me, I don't love the industry, but I'm damn good at what I do)

2 of 2
Manager brings me into a private conference room... I'm thinking Jesus, what did I do?
I'm being assigned 50% more work, but no considerations have been made and it's not in the budget for any kind of compensatory review or bonus.
I'm taking over one persons entire job, plus continuing 50% of mine. Not even a spot bonus or consideration of a review of the possibility of an increase?

Anybody know of any connections in the insurance business? (Trust me, I don't love the industry, but I'm damn good at what I do)

What kind? Health, homeowners, car, business, etc?

I feel terrible. Got an email on Tuesday from a prospective job. Thought it was a generic job fair offer from them. Finally checked it yesterday at 7pm. Unfortunately it was an interview for the position fair and the cutoff was noon to reply. Been cussing myself since. Responded anyway in hopes all would work out.

I have a coworker who hails from da nederlands and he talks wike a wittle baby. Everything is "soooo here's da ting" and "when will it be weddy fer my revueeex"... So annoying I just want to kick him in the balls.

I'm a medical sales rep, I have 1 girl who works in the office and aside from not ever shutting the Fu*k up she consistently fu*ks sh*t up and then will constantly call my cell phone for bullsh*t that if she would just think it threw would figure it out. And what infuriates me the most is she will call me, not leave a message, then call me back immediately and not leave a message then wait in increments of 5-10 minutes and call back. Then when I call her back it's something unimportant or something that could wait, but the way she calls you would have thought Obama was getting a$$ slammed by a bunch of aliens that were burning down the White House and inslaving our women and children!!!!!! But other then that I love my job.

I have a coworker who hails from da nederlands and he talks wike a wittle baby. Everything is "soooo here's da ting" and "when will it be weddy fer my revueeex"... So annoying I just want to kick him in the balls.

Something that's worked for me on occasion is relaying a story about an imaginary relative with a similar annoying habit and how it's hated by all, how people say mean things about them behind their back, make excuses to avoid them, etc. Sometimes they get the hint. From time to time I also reflect on whether I am that relative.

I've found the best solution to that is to learn a second and third language and spend a lot of time communicating in those languages.

2 of 2

That was 2013 through 2015 for me.

I found another job to force them to make me a counter, which they did. But then they tried to pull it back once they thought I rejected the other offer. I told them I wasn't rejecting the other offer until I had the counter in writing.

I went home that night and told my wife, "I'm not taking the job offer. But make a list of specific places you want to move to and we will be there in less than a year."

A month later I saw the job announcement for the job I'm working now. I've been here 3 months now.

Unemployment has dropped enough that it's starting to become a worker's market again, especially if you are willing to move. Just two weeks ago I saw another job I'm qualified for, would require a short move, that would up my salary by about 66%. I looked at my wife and said, "I can't pass that up."

Back