Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boss yells into my office every day, "What are you working on?" and most of the time.. it is minutes after he gave me a big project. The guy is so indisposed and distracted by his personal life and booking extravagant vacations that he can't be bothered with the simplest task, so he has to ask me if I'll take it.

Don't ask. Just put it on my desk. Point. Grunt. Draw an arrow on it. I'll do it.

sounds like my wife's boss.

maybe a complete Stephen Hawking rig?

sadlaugh.gif

Yesterday my mechanically inept boss ran a DIY water vacuum system with the outlet valve closed and blew apart a piping connection. The connection was a rubber sleeve holding 2 pieces of PVC piping together with hose clamps.

I suggested "instead of using that mickey mouse connection we should replace all the piping with threaded steel pipe"

His reply. "No absolutely not, the pressure will blow those pipes apart and with steel pipes, that would kill someone. Even if it doesn't explode, the pump would just turn the water in the reservoir to steam and blow the pump apart. The PVC is a safety mechanism. I know it would explode because I've seen it happen!"

It's a 1/2 hp motor with a plastic impeller and was never meant to be run with the outlet valve closed at all...

This man has the power to tell me what to do, and there's no reasoning with him.

Yesterday my mechanically inept boss ran a DIY water vacuum system with the outlet valve closed and blew apart a piping connection. The connection was a rubber sleeve holding 2 pieces of PVC piping together with hose clamps.

I suggested "instead of using that mickey mouse connection we should replace all the piping with threaded steel pipe"

His reply. "No absolutely not, the pressure will blow those pipes apart and with steel pipes, that would kill someone. Even if it doesn't explode, the pump would just turn the water in the reservoir to steam and blow the pump apart. The PVC is a safety mechanism. I know it would explode because I've seen it happen!"

It's a 1/2 hp motor with a plastic impeller and was never meant to be run with the outlet valve closed at all...

This man has the power to tell me what to do, and there's no reasoning with him.

The man ain't too bright, but if you pump against a closed valve something will eventually give, just not how he imagines.

.5hp creating enough pressure to blow steel piping, lol yeah right. If you deadheaded it the worst that'd happen is probably it'd overheat and stop working.

exactly what I said, it has a thermal switch in the pump, and he seems to believe the impeller will superheat the water in a matter of seconds. I told him it would have to sit with the outlet valve closed for at least 30 minutes to even bring the temp of the water near boiling.

He has no concept of materials strength or mechanical properties at all.

It's a 1/2 hp motor with a plastic impeller and was never meant to be run with the outlet valve closed at all....

Does that guy have a G.E.D. in engineering?

My coworker uses my competence as the justification for his experimentation, then when his experiments fail he comes to ask me to help him solve the problem. I have started to tell him to come back to me after 1 week and we will discuss it.

Haha I should have clarified, no, it's his native tongue.

I have a cousin in his 70's born with some kind of peach amphetamine and is developmentally disabled. Never got far in school and lacks a lot of social skills. I never worked with him but I'm told he was a damn good cowboy in his younger days. I'm sure he never made $300K a year but always had a roof over his head, enough to eat & beer money.

Haha, I hear you. This guy is a special person, he's a great car salesman and is under full belief that people are stupid and can't understand numbers if you put too many in their face. Energy galore and very well dressed and taken care of with nice white teeth and an expensive tan. One of his best lines to me was "the more you spend on yourself the more you make". This after spending $10k on clothes etc. Very hard to share a room with this guy's head and listening to him is painful. "We need to be cogsnis about what people want". Insert cognisant and he sounds normal.

I take it English is a second language for him?

No, it requires a native speaker to come up with something so cleverly stupid. The guy is clearly narcissistic and simply trying to get attention. Tell him that he's wrong or stupid and you'll be wrapped up with him for half an hour.

I have a cousin in his 70's born with some kind of peach amphetamine and is developmentally disabled. Never got far in school and lacks a lot of social skills. I never worked with him but I'm told he was a damn good cowboy in his younger days. I'm sure he never made $300K a year but always had a roof over his head, enough to eat & beer money.

Best auto-correct I've seen today.

:p

I have a co-worker who makes $300k/year and can't command the English language. He told me the other day he thinks he has a "peach amphetamine". The fact he could say amphetamine blew my mind on it's own. Speech impediment.......that's what he meant.

Best auto-correct I've seen today.

:p

Wish I could say I was being original but the car salesman beat me to it.

People who can't walk through a room without EVERY SINGLE LIGHT IN IT BEING TURNED ON. Seriously, if you require 6 fluorescent fixtures, 3 banks of 2 fixtures, 3 switches, a total of 24 tubes, each tube being about 4 ft long to see in order to walk through the room, then you need to see an eye doctor. You could turn on 1 bank of lights, but all 3? I require 1 such fixture & it's in an adjoining room with the door open; I see just fine.

People who leave the cupboard doors open. Seriously? Do you leave all your cupboard doors open at home? They also leave the electrical panels open when they turn breakers on/off. Do these people leave their car doors open or their front doors open too? While they're at it, why don't they just leave their shoes untied & their zippers down too?
Regards, GF.

I work on the third floor of a building. I often will walk from the parking lot to the elevator, and I'll see a coworker arrive a little after me. The elevator is fairly slow sometimes, so in these situations, I will usually wait, holding the elevator door open for the coworker to ride up with me and save them the wait for a full elevator cycle.

About 1/3 of the time, whoever it is says "its OK, I'll take the stairs."

So I'm trying to be courteous, and you've wasted my time (since I held the elevator for you) AND you make me feel like a lazy fat ass for taking the elevator!

I need to find some snarky comment to say in those situations.

Back