Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a conversation once with a coworker about earliest memories. He claimed he could remember an incident when he was three years old. Me: "What could you possibly remember when you were that young?"

Coworker: "The time I stuck a fork in a wall outlet."

I can remember a few things back to around 4, but mostly just images. I can totally believe an experience that intense making an impression.

To stay in this O/T conversation, I remember stuff from when I was 2-1/2 to 3 years old. I remember running away to a neighbor's house because she always made me cheese toast, and I remember playing with Matchbox cars in the middle of the circle (not a cul de sac, but a true circle, my brother & I made a track in the dirt there) but I don't remember my family nor the house I lived in at all. I also remember moving into the new house my parents bought before I was three, going over and watching my mom paint windows & other stuff before we moved in.

Weird.

I have memories of a home that we moved out of when I was 2, things that happened well before it was destroyed by the tornado that I vividly remember. My daughter has memories as far back as 18 months. It's not unlikely.

Childhood amnesia is an interesting subject, with all sorts of theories about how it is influenced by culture, gender, language, type of encoding, etc.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childhood_amnesia

Last edited:
Shorting live and neutral is not an incredibly difficult task for some brats to accomplish.
To reduce the number of brats who get shocked or killed sticking forks into the hot side of an outlet, they now have "Tamper Resistant" outlets. From the NFPA, "These receptacles have spring-loaded shutters that close off the contact openings, or slots, of the receptacles. When a plug is inserted into the receptacle, both springs are compressed and the shutters then open, allowing for the metal prongs to make contact to create an electrical circuit. Because both springs must be compressed at the same time, the shutters do not open when a child attempts to insert an object into only one contact opening, and there is no contact with electricity. Tamper- resistant receptacles are an important next step to making the home a safer place for children." Now we just eliminate those kids smart enough to think, gee I wonder if I used two forks...
Back to the whole co-worker thing...
Idiots that do stupid schist and make us all look bad... http://nypost.com/2015/12/11/air-traffic-controller-arrested-for-illegal-guns-crystal-meth-cops/

now we just eliminate those kids smart enough to think, gee i wonder if i used two forks...

idiot proof.JPG

To reduce the number of brats who get shocked or killed sticking forks into the hot side of an outlet, they now have "Tamper Resistant" outlets. From the NFPA, "These receptacles have spring-loaded shutters that close off the contact openings, or slots, of the receptacles. When a plug is inserted into the receptacle, both springs are compressed and the shutters then open, allowing for the metal prongs to make contact to create an electrical circuit. Because both springs must be compressed at the same time, the shutters do not open when a child attempts to insert an object into only one contact opening, and there is no contact with electricity. Tamper- resistant receptacles are an important next step to making the home a safer place for children." Now we just eliminate those kids smart enough to think, gee I wonder if I used two forks...

We have those, too, but in our case you'd need to insert two screwdrivers because the holes are small and round...

To reduce the number of brats who get shocked or killed sticking forks into the hot side of an outlet, they now have "Tamper Resistant" outlets. From the NFPA, "These receptacles have spring-loaded shutters that close off the contact openings, or slots, of the receptacles. When a plug is inserted into the receptacle, both springs are compressed and the shutters then open, allowing for the metal prongs to make contact to create an electrical circuit.

We have a bunch of those in our house. They left out what a pita it is to plug in some of the wall worts "made in china" that are slightly off compared to the standard plug design. I feel like I might break the wall outlet plugging in the toaster.

Typical Monday here, the people who complain they did not get offered to work 6 days and claim they need the money are not coming in today.

Does Wiley Brand make a logic for dummies book?

"We have a bunch of those in our house. They left out what a pita it is to plug in some of the wall worts "made in china" that are slightly off compared to the standard plug design. I feel like I might break the wall outlet plugging in the toaster."
Not to get off subject (again)... If the receptacle moves in and out as you're plugging/unplugging things you can do one of two things. Use metal device plates (available in the same colors as the hard plastic/nylon plates), or use spacers (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Spacers-25-Pack-172451L/202937111). They go between the device and the box. See the article for install hints.
https://homebuilding.thefuntimesguide.com/2010/06/electrical_outlet_spacers.php.

Not to get off subject (again)... If the receptacle moves in and out as you're plugging/unplugging things you can do one of two things. Use metal device plates (available in the same colors as the hard plastic/nylon plates), or use spacers (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Spacers-25-Pack-172451L/202937111). They go between the device and the box. See the article for install hints.
https://homebuilding.thefuntimesguide.com/2010/06/electrical_outlet_spacers.php.

It is not how they are mounted.

It is how the Tamper Resistant outlet works internally that is not as smooth as how it sounds written by the NFPA.

I can remember a few things back to around 4, but mostly just images. I can totally believe an experience that intense making an impression.

I remember my brother being born when I was 1 year 11 months old, and that my babysitter was named lauren and allergic to milk when I was 3. Everyone is different.

And more in line with the thread..

I was assigned the task of designing and building a specialized pool vacuum for our reactor pool.

My (newly hired) coworker swoops in without asking, goes to my boss with her stupid ideas and he thinks her initiative is great.

Now we have a pool vac that needs the pump primed every time you turn it on with a 30 foot hose zip tied to an aluminum pole that's so heavy nobody can actually use it. She's somehow still proud of this monstrosity, but wants to improve it.

How you ask?

By incorporating all of my original design elements that I have sketched on graph paper in my office.

But no. She came up with all these ideas herself.

And more in line with the thread..

I was assigned the task of designing and building a specialized pool vacuum for our reactor pool.

My (newly hired) coworker swoops in without asking, goes to my boss with her stupid ideas and he thinks her initiative is great.

Now we have a pool vac that needs the pump primed every time you turn it on with a 30 foot hose zip tied to an aluminum pole that's so heavy nobody can actually use it. She's somehow still proud of this monstrosity, but wants to improve it.

How you ask?

By incorporating all of my original design elements that I have sketched on graph paper in my office.

But no. She came up with all these ideas herself.

I just recently wrote a song you can sing to her whenever she says anything.

when you were singing that song, I wrote another one that's very similar.

"Yeah! Yeah! Imma eat your face and set a big cradboard box on fire!
We'll take hallucinogens and tattoo our faces in the shopping mall!
Don't look at me because I'm socially unstable!
Please pass me the chainsaw! mmmmmMMMArthaaaahhhh FLOCCER!"

Typical Monday here, the people who complain they did not get offered to work 6 days and claim they need the money are not coming in today.

Does Wiley Brand make a logic for dummies book?

Sounds like one of my staff, calls out all the floccing time and then has a small freakout when she's only got 4 days this week. Maybe you should put 2 and 2 together? She's PRN so no pto/sick time.

Well, our pouter and crier has escalated her game, because I really don't care about her. Three interactions as they go....

1) "This is the stuff you need to do." "OH, it's all so difficult, it's just so difficult all this other stuff" [crying] "OK, well that's the stuff you need to do." [walk away]

2) "So what's the normal process on this?" "Well you do it." "GAH FINE. I'll just have to escalate this." [heads to her boss]

3) [Today] "So who is doing this?" "The other guy." [goes and looks, comes back] "Well this thing is like this mess and there is this thing that has to happen..." [I listen for ~3min before...] "So, what do you want me to do about it?" "HUH, well what's the normal process?" "I forward it to you, and you take care of it." "GAH! Fine, I will take care of it!!" [storms off, only this time to MY boss]

At that point I decided my cup needed fresh water and I walked passed my boss's office on the way. Just happened to 'overhear' and stopped in to see what was up. SIGH!!!

Had someone request a wired mouse for their computer yesterday. Why? The wireless one is too heavy and is hurting his hand.

What is he doing with said mouse? I have never in my experience with anyone heard that the mouse is "too heavy"... You aren't lifting and throwing it... Or are you?

And, most jobs have a requirement for lifting some amount of weight. Never seen one that said, "and unable to move the weight of a computer mouse".

I've got a Logitech G500 mouse that has a system you can add/subtract weights to it, to increase it up to 27 additional grams (a little less than 1 oz)

but it's not like I'm pushing around a freakin' cinderblock across my desk here.

I have seen a few co-workers ask for a better office chair, due to back issues, etc. That's reasonable.

But a lighter-weight mouse? Maybe someone makes a power-assist mouse that has a motor and drive wheel to help push it along the mouse pad. ;)

He's on a part-time contract for tax season. Not dipping into my hardware budget that hard for an issue that a $10 mouse can fix.

I should buy one of those for myself, though. :)
I've been using a Wacom tablet at work for about 4 years now; originally a Bamboo that I bought myself, and for the last two years, an Intous Pro. I love them - and once you get past the learning curve, you're a touch faster than a mouse, because the tablet is mapped to your screen(s). Bottom left of tablet is bottom left of screen - you can develop muscle memory to where common buttons are.

Had someone request a wired mouse for their computer yesterday. Why? The wireless one is too heavy and is hurting his hand.

My wireless mouse ran out of batteries. I haven't replaced them. I just happened to have a wired mouse sitting in my cube, so I figured I'd use it until I got around to getting batteries. That was probably 5 months ago...

I suppose I should walk 150 ft to the admin's desk and ask for a couple AA's. Eh. I'm sure I'll get to it sooner or later.

(As for the person in question, he might have some sort of hand/wrist issue, carpal tunnel, arthritis, etc.)

My wireless mouse ran out of batteries. I haven't replaced them. I just happened to have a wired mouse sitting in my cube, so I figured I'd use it until I got around to getting batteries. That was probably 5 months ago...

I suppose I should walk 150 ft to the admin's desk and ask for a couple AA's. Eh. I'm sure I'll get to it sooner or later.

(As for the person in question, he might have some sort of hand/wrist issue, carpal tunnel, arthritis, etc.)

Especially if he's a tax person, he's probably already pushed a mouse a million miles.

Those types of requests are for trackballs/stationary devices, or differently shaped devices like the Penguin. This is the first person who has requested "lighter".

Maybe someone makes a power-assist mouse that has a motor and drive wheel to help push it along the mouse pad. ;)

I have one of those but there is no motor, it uses ghosts. Think ouija board. Sometimes I let go just to see what it would do. I found out there are some pretty weird places on the internet.

the ones that ask, "When is that gonna be done?" as soon as I floccin' finish it. and every time y'all stop me to ask I'll add another 10 minutes. don't rush my quality.

I have a co-worker who makes $300k/year and can't command the English language. He told me the other day he thinks he has a "peach amphetamine". The fact he could say amphetamine blew my mind on it's own. Speech impediment.......that's what he meant.

I have a co-worker who makes $300k/year and can't command the English language. He told me the other day he thinks he has a "peach amphetamine". The fact he could say amphetamine blew my mind on it's own. Speech impediment.......that's what he meant.

I take it English is a second language for him?

As a mover, i keep getting sent to the college for setups, tearteardowns, and rearrangements. The person they have in charge over here has no leadership skills and is hard to get along with.

None of us wants to be here with her.

the ones that ask, "When is that gonna be done?" as soon as I floccin' finish it. and every time y'all stop me to ask I'll add another 10 minutes. don't rush my quality.

Boss yells into my office every day, "What are you working on?" and most of the time.. it is minutes after he gave me a big project. The guy is so indisposed and distracted by his personal life and booking extravagant vacations that he can't be bothered with the simplest task, so he has to ask me if I'll take it.

Don't ask. Just put it on my desk. Point. Grunt. Draw an arrow on it. I'll do it.

Latest posts

Back