The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only 3g salt for all that flour? Standard for just about any savory bread is about 2% by bakers percentages.

I find 64-65% hydration with that flour makes a better pie too. You can go higher, and it gets even better, but it became very hard to handle.

I was wondering about that too... I usually use 15g of salt for a kilo of flour.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here are the three pies I made yesterday. I still have five dough balls left, so I'll likely be making more today.

DSCN2350.jpg

DSCN2358.jpg

DSCN2353.jpg

And that is why the "Amateur" that was directed at me didn't bother me. It's accurate.

No, it's because you're accustomed to verbal abuse.

Here are the three pies I made yesterday. I still have five dough balls left, so I'll likely be making more today.

Perfect like always. Dang I need to start my oven build. I just need to find the best and yet strangely affordable way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You might start with Craigslist. I bought all my materials new, but I've since, and more than once, seen block and fire brick for cheap on CL.

Got some dough going right now. No sugar, 65% hydration, post knead temp of 84*. Gonna let it sit at room temp for 5-6 hours since I won't do any overnight fridge rest. I want pizza tonight, dammit.

First effort from the sourdough I've been working on for a few weeks. Turned out just as tasty as I remembered :D

This was meant to be Hawaiian pizza to use leftover pulled pork, but by the time Sunday rolled around we had almost no leftovers :drunk:
Either way, the sauce was just a peach BBQ that wife made last week, Hers (the first one) had mozzerella, peppers, pineapples, a bit of bacon and onion, and some sausage. Mine had all of the above but with some pulled pork and jalapenos thrown in there for good measure.

wifes pizza.jpg

my pizza.jpg

Attempt #2 for this pizza. Stretched the dough much thinner, almost to the size of my stone. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414440004.595923.jpg

Topped with olive oil, garlic, dates, artichoke hearts, caramelized onions, shiitake mushrooms, goat, mozz and prov cheeses.

That's one of the best pies I've seen here so far!

That's saying something, because there are tons of delicious looking pies here! I made sauce a week ago, but had too many things going on last week (brewery stops, drinking with buddies, Halloween bonfire with my homebrew, making BBQ sauce, pulled pork, mac & cheese and soup) to get around to making more pies... I'm thinking Friday / Saturday.

NO disrespect to any others. I just meant that it's nice & evenly round, evenly shaped crust, no burn marks, etc. I can't understand why wood-fired pizza places say burnt crust & cheese is part of the flavor. I think it dominates the flavor too much. I like'em evenly golden brown & that sort of thing. Making it look good is just as important to me as taste.

NO disrespect to any others.
None taken (nor intended)! This (and the bread thread) has helped me get leaps and bounds better than where I was just a couple months ago... and I first started making pies in January 2010/11 :)

IMG_20120916_151114.jpg

September 2012

IMG_20140101_175640.jpg

January 2014 (holy crap this was a terrible looking / mediocre pie!)

DSC_0216.JPG

April 2014

DSC_0539.JPG

July 2014

DSC_0638.JPG

August 2014

DSC_0872.JPG

October 2014

Now that I look at it, I've come a looong way since July 2014, and I credit you guys mostly! I took for granted pre-heating my stone, I used to grill my pizzas on pre-heated cast iron but had inconsistent / burnt crust often times, so I've since switched to using a stone and properly preheating it to 450°-500°, letting the dough rest for 1-2 days minimum in the fridge, and letting it proof on "pizza day" for 4-12 hours to get up to temp and do its final rise. I've also switched to using nothing but freshly grated cheese, and that's made a huge difference as well (whole milk mozz is my favorite). While some of the pre-august pies may look pretty, the dough was not nearly as tasty as it is now. Cheers to good beer and good (homemade)pizza!

Some of these pies look great. I've made some homemade pizzas when I was a kid. They were Catalina (?) brand box kits. Decent for a kid and fun to make, but these days I usually eat pizza when we just don't want to cook. We have 4-5 pizza places in our little town and I like being able to order it and have several styles to choose from.

I haven't had a homemade pizza that compared to some of these places. Seems like a bit of work to get a NICE pie, and I just like the convenience and variety of crusts and toppings I can get over the phone.

I can see myself maybe trying this again some day when I'm bored with other hobbies. Lord knows I cook other things that take some time to prepare.

dammit....

Now I'm hungry!!! Knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread again.

Try as I might... I always pile on too many ingredients, but the pies are good. I just love pizza... it'll be the death of me I'm sure.

I need to take a few pics of my pizzas I suppose. You'll all say that I put too much on them I'm sure, but man are they tasty. I'll post the next pizza I make.

dammit....

Now I'm hungry!!! Knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread again.

Try as I might... I always pile on too many ingredients, but the pies are good. I just love pizza... it'll be the death of me I'm sure.

I need to take a few pics of my pizzas I suppose. You'll all say that I put too much on them I'm sure, but man are they tasty. I'll post the next pizza I make.

I will never say that! You cannot put too many goodies on a pizza, IMHO. We like any or all of the following: sliced salami, sliced or cubed pepperoni, browned Italian sausage, sliced black olives, diced onion, diced bell peppers of whatever color is on hand, thinly-sliced Serranos, artichoke hearts, pesto and pizza sauce. The only things I'm NOT real fond of on pizzas is ham/Canadian bacon and pineapple. Otherwise the sky's the limit!

We'll be making one tonight but I'll be using a low-carb flatbread as a base, then topped with a good schmear of pesto, then some Trader Joe's 3 cheese marinara sauce; then browned Italian sausage, cubed pepperoni, sliced salami, sliced black olives, artichoke hearts, peppers, onions, and plenty of cheese. I like anchovies on mine too and if I can remember will put them on half, as KOTC doesn't like them. I can't wait.

What oven temperature do you all use for your pizza creations? I attempted a home made pizza last week and ended up burning the crust a bit more than I prefer. The recipe said to make the oven as "hot as you can" and mine goes up to 525*F so that's what I did. It still turned out very good but this time I want to char the crust a bit less.

I'm trying again tomorrow and plan to lower the temp and was wondering what temperatures others use.

What oven temperature do you all use for your pizza creations? I attempted a home made pizza last week and ended up burning the crust a bit more than I prefer. The recipe said to make the oven as "hot as you can" and mine goes up to 525*F so that's what I did. It still turned out very good but this time I want to char the crust a bit less.

I'm trying again tomorrow and plan to lower the temp and was wondering what temperatures others use.

I use max temperature, 550F on my oven, I have a stone, actually two for thermal mass and let the oven preheat around an hour, when the preheat buzzer goes off that means the air is that temp not anything solid, might take 8 minutes cooking time.

IMG_5035.jpg

Pizza is good... home made pizza is great.

I hate looking at this thread... I always get hungry.

I will never say that! You cannot put too many goodies on a pizza, IMHO. We like any or all of the following: sliced salami, sliced or cubed pepperoni, browned Italian sausage, sliced black olives, diced onion, diced bell peppers of whatever color is on hand, thinly-sliced Serranos, artichoke hearts, pesto and pizza sauce. The only things I'm NOT real fond of on pizzas is ham/Canadian bacon and pineapple. Otherwise the sky's the limit!

We'll be making one tonight but I'll be using a low-carb flatbread as a base, then topped with a good schmear of pesto, then some Trader Joe's 3 cheese marinara sauce; then browned Italian sausage, cubed pepperoni, sliced salami, sliced black olives, artichoke hearts, peppers, onions, and plenty of cheese. I like anchovies on mine too and if I can remember will put them on half, as KOTC doesn't like them. I can't wait.

Pile it on I suppose... I used to make my own dough, but I found a pre-made dough at Publix that is really good. The thing is, you need to let it warm to room temperature before using it, or you won't be able to work with it. Well worth the price in my opinion.

@ChefRex, embarassingly no, I haven't found a good/large container to do my starter in yet, it's on my list before years end for sure!

First of two pies for today... homemade marinara from whole / discarded tomatoes at the farmers market (reduced because they were soft / had black spots in places) with Oregano, Genovese and Lemon Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Garlic and Indian grocery Red Chili flakes, bacon, black olives, pepperoni, and whole milk mozzarella.

DSC_0942.NEF

DSC_0943.NEF

DSC_0944.NEF

DSC_0945.NEF

DSC_0946.NEF

I tried eggs on my pizza for the first time tonight. 10 min in a 450 deg convection and then cracked the eggs on top for another 12 minutes. They slid to the middle but added a creamy texture on top to the crisp crust.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to keep them separated or brown them on top more (I guess I could have broiled it for a few minutes.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414971943.793147.jpg

The round cutting board makes the crust look very strange.

I tried eggs on my pizza for the first time tonight. 10 min in a 450 deg convection and then cracked the eggs on top for another 12 minutes. They slid to the middle but added a creamy texture on top to the crisp crust.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to keep them separated or brown them on top more (I guess I could have broiled it for a few minutes.

View attachment 233499

The round cutting board makes the crust look very strange.

You could lay out lines with more cheese to help keep the eggs in place.
Looks good by the way.

Here's my second attempt at a completely home made pizza. I lowered the oven temperature to 475*F this time and the crust didn't burn like it did last time when using 525*F.

20141102_205945.jpg

20141102_211245.jpg

Rather than playing with the oven temperature I would first examine where your racks are. The closer they are to the top the more radiant heat you'll get on the top of the pizza.

Back