The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received two 16"x 20" x 3/4" kiln shelves. ( free shipping for ordering two, so it was 1/2 price for a second one. ) I was originally thinking that two would be better then one, by putting one on the top shelf and one on the bottom.

But after doing some research on it I Don't think it is, things like air flow restrictions and such.

By the way I have an electric convection oven ( Electrolux ).

Has anyone used two stones with success?

I just received two 16"x 20" x 3/4" kiln shelves. ( free shipping for ordering two, so it was 1/2 price for a second one. ) I was originally thinking that two would be better then one, by putting one on the top shelf and one on the bottom.

But after doing some research on it I Don't think it is, things like air flow restrictions and such.

By the way I have an electric convection oven ( Electrolux ).

Has anyone used two stones with success?

I have two stacked on top of each other, thermal mass.

Thermal mass is good if you plan on cooking more than one. The stones will lose heat when the cold pizza goes on it. The more mass you have to act as a heat sink the hotter the mass will stay. Only cooking one pizza? Not such a big deal, so long as the stone is good and hot when you slide the pizza on.

Thermal mass is good if you plan on cooking more than one. The stones will lose heat when the cold pizza goes on it. The more mass you have to act as a heat sink the hotter the mass will stay. Only cooking one pizza? Not such a big deal, so long as the stone is good and hot when you slide the pizza on.

I usually cook two 16" pizzas, one right after the other. ( not at the same time ) So, two stacked would be better, right?

I always preheat for an hour or longer.

I made a couple more Detroit style pies again tonight

20140914_172036.jpg

20140914_172323.jpg

20140914_172330.jpg

Long time no see.

It looks like a chunk of cheese to me.

Been real busy with work.. you'll know I'm back when I've got an avatar
:cross:

I finally brewed for the first time in six months a couple weekends ago, but it's for a charity for a Haitian orphanage so I don't get to drink it. TX sent me an invite for one of those member highlight pieces, but I can't respond to it lol :drunk:

Call me a heathen, but I've been using the "warm" setting on my oven to proof the pizza dough. (Turn on the warm setting for 15 minutes, turn it off, put in the dough [covered in a bowl], close to door except for a crack, and let it proof for 30 minutes). Split the dough into 2-3 balls, press out and reform & tighten the ball(s), and let sit under a tea towel for an hour before forming and baking.

Sure cuts down on rise time, and I get a crust that's airy, chewy, and crispy.

We make pizzas at home every other friday but I never take photos of them, maybe I should start. Our three teens each make their own. My wife and I share one since we have similar tastes.

Anchovies, olives, smoked reindeer, capers, proscuitto, mushrooms, blue cheese, pepperoni, mozarella

Dislikes, i.e. complete no-go:

Thick crust, crust with air in it, crust made from white flour, soft crust, pineapples, peaches

we make pizzas at home every other friday but i never take photos of them, maybe i should start. Our three teens each make their own. My wife and i share one since we have similar tastes.

Anchovies, olives, smoked reindeer, capers, proscuitto, mushrooms, blue cheese, pepperoni, mozarella, long walks on the beach

dislikes, i.e. Complete no-go:

Thick crust, crust with air in it, crust made from white flour, soft crust, pineapples, peaches
ftfy
And yes you should post pictures.

Unless I get home, mow the grass, looking at the thing the entire time and decide, "What the hell, I'm Santa, I can show up I the 24th if I want to."

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411594916.697441.jpg

Small kindling fire. There will a another arch in the side nearest the camera that will come down almost as low as the inner arch. That wi funnel all the smoke up, the piece of plywood proved that. Before I baffled the front equal amounts of smoke went up as out. I put the ply up and all the smoke went up the flue.

Then I sealed it up with stacked bricks to keep the heat in.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411595180.521224.jpg.

I think I'll have a beer.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411594947.034452.jpg

Paul,

that's pretty cool. Nice work - except for the crooked arc'd bricks (Hey, I've gotta poke a little fun given your reputation eh?) But seriously, looks like an awesome job that you'll enjoy using for years! Are you planning to build anything around it or extend the chimney any higher when you add the next row of bricks for the front? Can you use a tuscan grill in the front area?

TD

Back