The forgotten ingredient - oops quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSS

Reaction score
So I was making a partial mash IPA that called for 4.4 lbs of liquid malt and 3lbs of dry malt. I forgot to add the dry malt of 3 lbs and instead added 5 oz which was my bottling sugar for a different recipe. Call it a momentary lapse, or too much homebrew during the brew process.

So what's the effect? It did give off the initial farting throughout the week and now resides in the secondary (dry hopped).

What can I expect or not? :drunk:

Seeing as how you're missing 40.5% of your total malt addition, you're going to come in way low on your OG. Just means you're going to have more of a Pale Ale than an IPA. It will probably end up being unbalanced, on the bitter side, but should still be drinkable, probably even fairly enjoyable. I wouldn't worry too much, just learn for next time. Have you tasted any samples yet?

Seeing as how you're missing 40.5% of your total malt addition, you're going to come in way low on your OG. Just means you're going to have more of a Pale Ale than an IPA. It will probably end up being unbalanced, on the bitter side, but should still be drinkable, probably even fairly enjoyable. I wouldn't worry too much, just learn for next time. Have you tasted any samples yet?

No, although I could use the cheater to get a little out. I should do that. Would adding honey just be one more bad thing on a bad thing?

No, although I could use the cheater to get a little out. I should do that. Would adding honey just be one more bad thing on a bad thing?

Since it's in secondary, all you'll be doing is adding sweetness. You might get a small amount of fermentation from the residual yeast, but not probably not much. It's certainly a possibility, but I wouldn't do anything before tasting it. Even then, it's probably going to taste more bitter now than it will once you bottle and carb it, so it would be difficult to say how much.

If it were me, I'd let it ride and see how it turns out.

I think adding honey would get the gravity up, but maybe not in the way you're hoping. Honey is, as I understand it, fully fermentable and thus ferments dry. I suspect you'd be adding dryness to a brew that is already a good bit lighter on the malt side than originally intended.

Were it me, I'd just let it ride and see what I got.

It definitely won't be the same beer you were aiming at but it really all comes down to taste and what you like. Give it a try and see what you think. Keep in mind that the hops will age out to a measurable degree. If it's just way to hop forward you could age it for 6 months and those hops will tone down a lot.

Well I just tried it and I love it. I am really into bitter and it has a great flavor, probably from the combo of hops. I think it will be okay actually. Thank you for the advice!

Well I just tried it and I love it. I am really into bitter and it has a great flavor, probably from the combo of hops. I think it will be okay actually. Thank you for the advice!

Nice! You just made a different recipe than the one you started with, still makes beer :mug:

You could boil the 3lbs of LME in about .5-1gal of water then let it cool and add it into your carboy and re-pitch the same yeast.

You could boil the 3lbs of LME in about .5-1gal of water then let it cool and add it into your carboy and re-pitch the same yeast.

Well it'd be a DME into .5 gallons ... for the sake of possibilities as one doesn't want to aerate the wort now, would one allow this separate liquified DME to cool and pitch and mix that directly then pour said addition into the secondary and let it do it's thing?

Just kind of curious, the beer tastes fine but now I am curious by this response.

Back