American IPA The devil to pay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burntgraphite

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 days @ 67f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 53f
Additional Fermentation
Cold crash at 38
Tasting Notes
Smooth... super smooth, and with a very slick and thick mouthfeel from the dry hops.
This recipe uses Bopils as the base, and combines FWH, late hops, hop back and dry hop methods for a super hop-flavored ale, but suprisingly low perceivable bitterness.

All Grain
Bohemian Pilsner - 48.3%
Crystal 20L - 24.1%
Rye malt - 20.7%
Flaked rye - 6.9%

1 oz Columbus pellet - First wort hops
1 oz Galena - 15 min
2 oz Cascade (whole leaf homegrown) - Hop back
1 oz Citra - dry hop 7 days

1 Whirlfloc tab in the boil (15 min)

75 Min boil
78.3% measured efficiency

So, here's the deal. Some of my gear broke, more or less, so until I get unlazy enough to fix it, I'm stuck doing some unconventional stuff. So I decided to see if I could get a decent no-chill ipa. Conventional wisdom, what I read here and there, tells me that I will end up over-utilizing the hops and getting tons of DMS flavor. I have a palate that is super sensitive to DMS, and I've had enough defects in my beer to know that.

So I used a hopback for some super nice hoppy flavor, and to filter out some kettle trub. And then I decided that while some hops are good, more hops are better! So I dry hopped, too.

And the result is a super hop flavorful, heady and aromatic brew that makes me pretty shnookered right quick, and has enough hoppyness to clean the taste of my food right off my tongue. But it is very, very smooth, and not that bitter. What's up with that? I was supposed to get more isomerization, according to all of the supposed pundits always spouting "I know everything" opinions!

And after saying alla that, I got great results with no-chill, and it tastes like my IBUs are exactly how they should be, without any extra utilization from the no-chill. I think I'll try re-doing the recipe with my duda when I get it unclogged.

Salud!

Back