Tasting notes Moose Drool with London ESB and Whitbread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I recently brewed 10gal of the Moose Drool recipe from Can You Brew It. If you search the forums you'll find the recipe. I fermented half with Wyeast 1968 London ESB and the other half with Wyeast 1099 Whitbread.

One other thing I changed was the finishing hops. I simply had a flameout addition of 1oz of Fuggle in each batch. Each got a 15 minute whirlpool before chilling. Otherwise, everything was right on target with grains, OG, and FG. I pitched an appropriate starter of both strains at 62, plus 1min of oxygen. Free rise to 68, finish with a heating pad at 72-75.

It's awesome to taste the difference. They're very similar in most ways. Medium fruity esters in the nose, smooth and medium bodied, easy drinking. Good bready malt notes with rich chocolate coming through. A hint of sweetness in the finish but in a pleasing way. I've always loved the Moose Drool recipe because the extra dash of black patent is a great counter to the sweeter English ale yeast.

As for the differences, the Whitbread has a yeasty characteristic that really comes through in the aroma and flavor. It's especially apparent in the nose. It's like dry wood in a forest, or a bag of dried mushrooms - truly the essence of "yeast." The beer is quite clear by the way, so I'm sure it is yeast-derived and not actually suspended yeast in the beer. This flavor also seems to make the beer drier (or at least give the impression of dryness) despite the two having the same FG. It has a tangy thing. Don't interpret that as sour, I more mean it like a little zing or bite to it. The beer made with this yeast has a longer finish - the flavor really stays with you for a few minutes.

The London ESB is the yeast that Big Sky Brewing actually uses. I find this beer to be smoother than the other, and much richer and fuller. The "yeasty" esters are exchanged for deeper esters of fermented fruit and a little vanilla. There is still a bit of yeastiness, however, but it skews slightly more towards sweet, fermenting bread. If Whitbread is the smell of yeast, London ESB is the smell of fermentation. The body is emphasized a little more, as well as a slightly sweeter finish.

Overall they're both great beers and I enjoy drinking both. I prefer the London ESB version, and about 75% of the people who have tasted both feel the same. I think the yeasty thing in the Whitbread can easily turn some people off. It really kicks it into that "noticeably Engliish" realm, and I think a brown ale like this one is probably its ideal use. I'm sure it does great in porters and stouts too. I would personally be reluctant to use it in any of the beers in the English Pale Ale category because I think without the significant crystal and roast malts in this recipe, the yeast character would be very strong.

The funny thing is - I meant to use 1098 instead because so many people tout the benefits of the dry English ale yeast. I wanted to compare it to London ESB, a strain I use very frequently. I actually didn't realize my mistake until I had already repitched the Whitbread into an American IPA... dangit. So let's hope it can make a good IPA!

Sounds good to me. Very descriptive on the taste/smell notes. I too like the English Bitters and may have to check your Moose Drool out. Thank for posting! :) :mug:

Kanzimonson,
I know this has some age on it, but I found this thread while searching out Moose Drool. I like to read the inputs of those that have gone before me, and all that sorta thing.

Just wanted to compliment you on your write-up, it was quite well done.

I will be putting a MD recipe in the line up, but it will be a few brews out yet. I have the grains bought for a Creamy Milk Stout, and I've found an American Wheat made with a Kolsch yeast that I would really like to try.

Cheers,
Willie P.

Dear Kanzimonson,
I realize this is an old post, but I've been researching recipes for brown ales and have come upon your input and feedback on other posts. I will second a previous reader and compliment your attention to detail, to me that says you care about being helpful and contributing to the forum.

I was wondering if I could ask you about brewing the Mouse Drool recipe. I have tried the original and it's great, and plan to brew a clone soon. In the past, and for some reason, I never get that distinct brown ale flavor using chocolate malt. I prefer using brown malt (65L) and was wondering if you have tried substituting the chocolate and/or black patent for brown in this recipe. I have not used brown malt much and I'm wondering how it would compliment black patent, of if I should forego of BP and focus on brown malt.

I am also working on a recipe for a strong brown ale soon inspired by Vermont's Shed Mountain Ale (brewed by Otter Creek), which in my opinion is one of the best American Brown ales out there. It's medium to full bodied, smooth and delicious at 7.4%, 35 IBU (Mt Hood and N. Brewer--kettle, no DH). The "Janet's Brown" ale seems similar but --and although I haven't brewed it-- I agree with you that it looks a bit bland. 5% Light crystal seems too low for a big beer. I think something in the order of 10% (minimum) medium crystal and an English strain might provide the malt backbone for such a beer. Perhaps that is why in their book, Jamil and Palmer's Janet's Brown recipe is 10% crystal.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back