SuperKleer Problem!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukebuz

Reaction score
So, I have a prize winning (in my mind) 5 Gallon batch of my Mulberry (red) wine. I fermented as usual, racked, aged on oak chips for 6 weeks, racked, and added SuperKleer.

What happened was the usual clouding up of the wine as the SK seemed to work...and then....nothing happened.
I've used SK at least 10 times prior, all with great results. As you may know, the SK usually drops clear in 24-48 hours, and is bottle ready in a week.
This time, all the lees and grub just stayed suspended in the wine. I could see it through the carboy glass - and I could see them float when I agitated the carboy.
So, I figured maybe I had a bad batch. I picked up a brand new pack from the local store. Added it, and yup. Nothing happened. A very very small amount of lees fell, and junk just stayed suspended.
WTF.

So, not wanting to wait 3 months for it to fall clearer (because I hear you don't want to let it age on the clearing agent), I racked off the bit of lees, and put into a different smaller carboys.

So, now. I'm stuck. What do you think could have happened? I used it as I always have. Small side in first, stir. Wait an hour. Large side in, stir.

Any ideas??

Back