Persimmon wine , to back sweeten or no.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellhp

Reaction score
Hi guys , Made some persimmon wine and it's 3 months in ... been racked once . still got some lees but it's done fermenting and very clear . Very dry , not bad if you like dry wine . My question is this ... I've never backsweetened wine before and judging by the discussions on here I was surprised at the differing opinions concerning stabilizing and or preventing fermentation after sweetening . I don't want carbonated wine but I think this one could use just a touch of sweetness , I have campden tablets but I guess that's not a sure thing when it comes to preventing the yeast from further fermentation? Should I rack again and wait for the yeast to die of old age ? I'm in no hurry but just not sure where to go with this one ... could probably bottle it now and after aging it would probably be fine . just wanted some input . Cheers
P.S. i'm a better brewer than vintner apparently .:p

Standard procedure for stabilizing is to use both metabisulfite (Campden) and potassium sorbate. The sorbate keeps the yeast from eating your sweetening sugar.

Thanks I have the potassium sorbate ordered , while artificial sweetener is a good idea ...I don't care for the taste .

Latest posts

Back