SunCal Merlot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meridianomrebel

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to making wine (but not to brewing beer), so bear with me if I ask something dumb. :)

I was recently given a wine kit from a friend that included a SunCal Merlot. Looks like it was this kit here - http://www.eckraus.com/necessities-box-sun-cal-size-merlot.html

The date this was purchased was in November of 2010. So, that leads to two different questions:
1. Is SunCal Merlot concentrate that came with it still okay to use since it's a few years old?
2. Is SunCal Merlot any good at all, or should I just visit my LHBS and pick up a better quality kit?

Thanks!

At $134 for the kit AND the wine I would not have great expectations. Open the concentrate and smell and taste. If it tastes like strong grape juice it should be OK. Get NEW yeast though.

At $134 for the kit AND the wine I would not have great expectations. Open the concentrate and smell and taste. If it tastes like strong grape juice it should be OK. Get NEW yeast though.

Thanks. I believe I'll just hit up the LHBS tomorrow morning and pick up a Vintner's Reserve just to be on the safe side. I don't like wine - my wife loves it. Figured if I started making her some wine she'd chill with fussing at me for making so much beer. :)

Back