Sugar wine... got any advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bulk rubbing alcohol is cheaper than sugar. I say you dilute the over-the-counter stuff. It's 70%, and you only need 15% for "wine", so you could dilute it 5 times or so and spike it with some concentrated coffee flavoring syrup. That opens up other flavors besides fruit, too- amaretto, anyone?

I learned that trick from one of my old hourly employees.

Just for the record...your goal is to make alcohol with the cheapest ingredients possible, with very little taste and as quickly as you can. How is this different than prison hooch?

Bulk rubbing alcohol is cheaper than sugar. I say you dilute the over-the-counter stuff. It's 70%, and you only need 15% for "wine", so you could dilute it 5 times or so and spike it with some concentrated coffee flavoring syrup. That opens up other flavors besides fruit, too- amaretto, anyone?
Though I'm certain you meant that post in jest, let's clarify:

Most rubbing alcohol is primarily isopropyl alcohol, which is rather toxic. Even if the rubbing alcohol you buy is mostly ethyl alcohol, it is almost certainly denatured with methyl isobutyl ketone and acetone (specifically to prevent it from being consumed as a beverage). Don't dilute and/or flavor rubbing alcohol and expect to get a beverage that is safe for consumption.

I'm relatively new here but I would suggest that rubbing alcohol post be deleted for fear some poor unsuspecting soul may not recognize the sarcasm and actually try it. IT IS DEADLY!!!

This whole thread is beginning to reek of distillers doing code-talk.

I think I'm not interested in helping anymore. :(

Why would a brew store not use eBay in addition to brick and mortar?

Good products and smiling faces are nice, but at the end of the day traffic is king.

eBay has traffic. Also the ratings system is nice, lets you know who you are dealing with.

Ebay has a *preponderance* of good people, however: it is also full of scams. If you don't believe there are scams on Ebay (buyer side and seller side), then I have a profitable home business plan to sell you...

Traffic is how you make more money, but it is not a *life*. Money is not a *life*. Building strong relationships with customers, educating them and watching them grow, offering them new opportunities, being part of a community... it sounds like hippie-dung, but I swear to you, it is a fulfilling way to live. I dream of it... and when I've finished my medical training I know that I will never surrender my patient relationships just to make more money.

Radiologists make a ton of cash, sitting in a room looking at films. "Cancer. Cancer. No cancer. Aneurysm..." I think I'd rather shoot myself than be sentenced to doing that for forty years, but there is a TON of money in it.

If you don't have a LHBS, I'm sorry, but relationships will make you far happier in this world (and far more secure) than almost any conceivable amount of money ever can.

Edit: I did contact Brewmasters to see if they will work with me on shipping 100 Campden tablets. It will be interesting to see if they are just after bulk orders, or if they actually take care of the little guy too.

No luck.

Even if they ship a single tablet, it is the same flat rate shipping.

Here is the reply I received via email:

The flat rate shipping charge is $6.99 for all items on the order to all locations excluding Alaska, Hawaii, and all other countries.

If you have anymore questions or concerns feel free to ask,
Scott
Brewmasters Warehouse

Maybe it was an automated reply..?

the little guy? come on man, 100 tabs is an aspirin size bottle and the smallest i've seen. brewmasters warehouse shipping is 7 bux for anything, 100 tablets or 1000 dollars of equipmant....maybe you misunderstood flat rate. you want to bet a bottle of campden tablets a real person sent it? the owner called me when an item i ordered(yeast) was not available and asked if i wanted another strain or to wait for the new batch.

you seem to be making a lot of friends with how cheap, how much alc, i don't care about taste and your better than everyone talk. remember better ingredients get better results and sugar(not sugar wine) attracts more flies than vinegar.

anxiously awaiting for the 'so there' response...

-cheers

the little guy? come on man, 100 tabs is an aspirin size bottle and the smallest i've seen. brewmasters warehouse shipping is 7 bux for anything, 100 tablets or 1000 dollars of equipmant....maybe you misunderstood flat rate. you want to bet a bottle of campden tablets a real person sent it? the owner called me when an item i ordered(yeast) was not available and asked if i wanted another strain or to wait for the new batch.

you seem to be making a lot of friends with how cheap, how much alc, i don't care about taste and your better than everyone talk. remember better ingredients get better results and sugar(not sugar wine) attracts more flies than vinegar.

anxiously awaiting for the 'so there' response...

-cheers

You will be waiting for a long time. The OP ignores every bit of sound advice, then insults the posters, and takes advice from new members reccomending methods NONE of the established members would ever reccomend.

I can also garuntee that with pressure on him now, he will come back and report he made the best fermented beveraged since Jesus turned water into wine...despite how it actually turns out

You will be waiting for a long time. The OP ignores every bit of sound advice, then insults the posters, and takes advice from new members reccomending methods NONE of the established members would ever reccomend.

I can also garuntee that with pressure on him now, he will come back and report he made the best fermented beveraged since Jesus turned water into wine...despite how it actually turns out

+1

He's probably distilling it. I hope he doesn't go blind.

perhaps a troll formulating posts designed to elicit responses that may or may not vaguely violate one or another vague laws that may or may not get this forum shut down is not so far from the truth; I'd strongly suggest employing good manners and a strong adherance to forum rules each and every time you cannot resist the urge to respond. :)

Well @ 6 bucks for distiller's yeast.Thats a buck for 6 gallons,just buy a cheap wine kit for about 1.50 a bottle on ebay,unless you buy 6 i think its 230 shipped for 6 kits.

Even the Westvleteren 12 of jailhouse hooch would be hard to choke down.

Considering where the OP is from, it doesn't seem like a terribly good idea for him to post about his homemade sizzurp :p

The comment from that thread that sounds the most reasonable is this:

"More than likely the police are trying to save face. They went there to raid a meth lab and came across a home brewery. Would look pretty bad to raid a house and find nothing. So they are latching on to this, making it sound worse than it is so they sound good."

Also a good photo op for the sheriff.

Anyway, a one-off unusual case like that is not a good example of how affairs are conducted. It is akin to saying "cars are dangerous and explode all the time" because of exploding gas tanks on the Ford Pinto model.

It is more commonly known as "knocking down straw men", and is a sign of a weak mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

You are better than that. I have faith in you. :)

On the other hand, it wouldn't be terribly hard for someone to dime out a brewer on this forum. All you need is the IP address. On most broadband connections, the DHCP lease on an IP is so long that it may as well be static.

Of course that would mean that the mods were complicit, because the IP addresses of this board are not publicly available.

When moderators start ratting people out, the forum has problems.

So when the cops start busting down your door because a mod and some whiny twit got together to tell lies and get you caught out, please have your contact on "the outside" post it here so we will know that this forum is not a safe place to share ideas.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled televised karaoke contest.

Wow, so the other posters were right, you are just a troll. Have fun getting wasted on your sugar water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back