Subbing Magnum for Warrior

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanAusBrewer

Reaction score
If I wanted to make Yooper's Dogfish Head IPA clone recipe and only had access to Magnum to use as my bittering hop rather than Warrior, would I just calculate the percentage difference in AA and use additional Magnum in the boil? ie. Warrior is 15% AA and Magnum is 12.5% AA so Warrior has 1.2 x more AA than Magnum. If I multiplied the Warrior in the recipe (1.25 oz) by 1.2 I get 1.5 so if I use 1.5 oz Magnum will I get a similar bittering effect or am I totally off?

Also, this recipe calls for continuous hop addition rather than few large additions. I am a bit concerned that this will give me a beer over 100 IBU. Does anyone have experience with this technique? It calls for 1.25 oz. of Warrior at 60 min etc.

See recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-60-minute-clone-ag-extract-25709/

The longer you boil the hops, the more bitterness you will get. If you adjust the amounts to account for that, you should get a similar beer.

You DON'T add 1.25 oz of warrior at 60 mins - read the notes. You add about half at 60 then add the rest a little bit at a time until 35 mins (try to evenly space the hop additions so that you add the same amount each time).

I would just adjust the amount so that the AA matches (what you proposed) and then follow the rest of the recipe. In most recipes swapping the bittering hop will not affect it that much, but it may affect this one more due to the continuous hopping where more of it is added at a later time.

Back