Stupid Simple Stir Plate. ~$12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering if cutting the top off like in the picture is a must. Would it work without cutting the circle? Or would i need stronger magnets (those have a pull of 4.83lbs only) if i wanted to skip that step?

All depends on the height of the box. No need to cut a hole if the setup can spin underneath the box lid and not be too far from the stir bar in the flask. The magnets in the OP are beefy. Not cutting a hole if the box allows should be a non-issue.

My assaulted cigar-box is as ugly as they come. Hole for necessity. YMMV

Quick question for those harvesting magnets from old HDDs:
I've managed to disassemble a couple old, dead HDDS and remove the magnets from them. Unfortunately the magnets are affixed in some unknown way to an oddly shaped, kind of curved 'backing plate' for lack of a better term. There are no screws or fasteners that I can see holding the magnet in place, so I'm assuming that an adhesive is used.
So, how are you removing the actual magnet from this backing plate?

Quick question for those harvesting magnets from old HDDs:
I've managed to disassemble a couple old, dead HDDS and remove the magnets from them. Unfortunately the magnets are affixed in some unknown way to an oddly shaped, kind of curved 'backing plate' for lack of a better term. There are no screws or fasteners that I can see holding the magnet in place, so I'm assuming that an adhesive is used.
So, how are you removing the actual magnet from this backing plate?

I used vice grips to hold the backing plate while using a flathead screwdriver to wedge between the magnet and plate and pry off. It popped off this way, yes it had an adhesive between them.

I used vice grips to hold the backing plate while using a flathead screwdriver to wedge between the magnet and plate and pry off. It popped off this way, yes it had an adhesive between them.
Thanks!

Back