Stupid Simple Stir Plate. ~$12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, that's the one I have. I don't know if you already bought yours or not, but I found the magnet didn't work as I had hope. The way it's magnetized (through the center, not end to end), the stirbar wants to almost stand on end. I cut it in half to where I could reverse one piece to make it work. Now the stir bar sits in the center between the two magnets.

If I had to do over, I would have found a smaller length magnet and used two of them. Cutting mine in half wasn't hard, but parts of the chrome have flaked off. Not a big deal since you don't really see it, but might be if you're a bit OCD (like me).

Hope this helps.

awesome, thanks for the feedback. no, i haven't ordered yet but i will now look for two smaller magnets.

Fan works amazing. Used it for many starters. Here is my quick build.

I have since added an on off switch .

Photo Jul 17, 10 52 34 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 17, 10 53 11 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 19, 3 53 00 PM.jpg

@AkBrew907 - where did you get the acrylic box? That sets it off IMHO! :rockin:

Amazon. I believe it's advertised as a jewelry box. I have since wrapped the top lid in a carbon fiber wrap since the plastic was getting scratched up from moving the flask on and off it.

IMG_0264.jpg

this is a very cool project...I was wondering if anyone knows of any cables I can buy that have that end on them, that the fan plugs into?

I am looking for either USB on the other end, or standard AC so that I can get my fans for my keezer powered, to where I would not need to cut any cables and I can fish them thru the collar and then re-use them or re-purpose them down the road...

TIA

this is a very cool project...I was wondering if anyone knows of any cables I can buy that have that end on them, that the fan plugs into?

I am looking for either USB on the other end, or standard AC so that I can get my fans for my keezer powered, to where I would not need to cut any cables and I can fish them thru the collar and then re-use them or re-purpose them down the road...

TIA

fan comes with a cable. all you need to do is supply a usb plug, like from a cell phone charger.

41OiesEJxIL._SX425_.jpg

fan comes with a cable. all you need to do is supply a usb plug, like from a cell phone charger.

41OiesEJxIL._SX425_.jpg

yes, that is what i would like & I am looking for...I already have three fans, I would like cables for... :) I just don't know what that is called or a part number to google it up...

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
i believe three pin usb cables are more common than the two. they make three pin to two pin 'jumper' cables. that might be a cheaper combo than the cable i linked to.

perfect! thanks, looks like i have some googlin' to do tonight....thanks soo much for all of your help.

perfect! thanks, looks like i have some googlin' to do tonight....thanks soo much for all of your help.

Generally two pin male ends can be used with three pin female ends. The two pins are for power and the third is for monitoring/control by the motherboard.
Short story: you shouldn't need a jumper and I've never seen a two pin female end in modern setups.

Generally two pin male ends can be used with three pin female ends. The two pins are for power and the third is for monitoring/control by the motherboard.
Short story: you shouldn't need a jumper and I've never seen a two pin female end in modern setups.

thank you as well....:ban: I appreciate everyone's help!

you'll have issues with that. block magnets have the north and south poles on the larger surface. it will stick to the fan just fine but the stir bar wil want to stand on end. you need to place two block magnets end to end to get the desired effect. you'll either need to cut it in half (hard to do) or get some smaller ones.

you'll have issues with that. block magnets have the north and south poles on the larger surface. it will stick to the fan just fine but the stir bar wil want to stand on end. you need to place two block magnets end to end to get the desired effect. you'll either need to cut it in half (hard to do) or get some smaller ones.

So is there a good magnet on Amazon to use?

Gavin,

It looks like quite a few people have been reading this article, recently. See the attached screenshot from amazon. Funny that a computer fan would be bought by people also looking at flasks, stir bars, and project boxes. :)

Haha, gotta love messing with the marketing data. 😂

This is my stupid simple build. First time i used a DVD case as a box, but it was too thin to hold the flask so i made a box from some scrap OSB boards. The speed controller is made by me as well. I power it with a phone charger so the vortex is smaller even at full speed.

stir plate beta 2.jpg

striplate beta 1.jpg

stir plate.JPG

Has anyone buy the mag craft magnet from home Depot? Free shipping to the store. They have multiple sizes and come in rods, discs,cubes, and blocks. The one I was looking at is nsn0635 2"×1/2"×1/8" block and has 12lb pull force. I was thinking of cutting in half. Am I ok with this magnet?

Finally got around to making mine today, this fan works very well. Got a starter going already.

Thanks again for posting about the fan!

20160614_181903_zpsii4eyubk.jpg

Has anyone buy the mag craft magnet from home Depot? Free shipping to the store. They have multiple sizes and come in rods, discs,cubes, and blocks. The one I was looking at is nsn0635 2"×1/2"×1/8" block and has 12lb pull force. I was thinking of cutting in half. Am I ok with this magnet?

I bought these from Home Depot and put my stir plate together this morning.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MASTER-MAGNETICS-1-2-in-Neodymium-Rare-Earth-Magnet-Discs-6-per-Pack-07046HD/202526367

It is a 6 pack of 1/2" magnets. I have 2 of them on the fan and my stir bar spins darned near perfectly without being thrown. I have a 1500ml starter spinning right now and only need to run the fan at half power.

So what have I done wrong? My stir bar does not spin around but rolls, like a log rolling down a hill.....

Something with your magnets would be my guess. Might have to flip one side over

Those bars physically look like the ones I used on my builds (although I only used one pair per each).
Mine are "broad face polarized" so the entire broad side is a pole, with the opposite pole on the other side.

Hopefully you got the same type, as I'm not sure what the heck happens if those are end-polarized...

Cheers!

Forgot to take a picture when I got home, but I did place the stir bar on top of the magnets and it stuck to the middle. Overlapping both magnets equally.

I've noticed that the bottom of the flask I got is concave. I think this could be the problem?

the curved bottom certainly doesn't help the situation. mine is fairly curved as well and if i crank up the speed beyond halfway, it is very likely the bar will be thrown. i use a 2" bar in a 5 liter flask. my bar is also very loud when in operation (clinking against the glass). i tried some o-rings on the bar for sound deadining but the bar was thrown even on the lowest setting. now i just setup the stir plate in the unfinished part of the basement and noise is not an issue. i'm going to try a 1" bar in the future and see if that helps.

another trick that worked from me is to place a thin fender washer on top of the magnets. it seems to 'spread out' the magnetic field and my bar makes less noise, implying to me that it is more balanced when spinning.

I was wondering if cutting the top off like in the picture is a must. Would it work without cutting the circle? Or would i need stronger magnets (those have a pull of 4.83lbs only) if i wanted to skip that step?

Back