Strong Odor...problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlowWorm821

Reaction score
Hello,

I've never actually posted here, as most of my questions can be answered with a little digging.

I'm new to making Mead, so I thought I'd start out with something fairly simple: Jack Keller's recipe for a Red Raspberry Melomel. I used Lalvin 71B-1122 and the rest of the recipe was done verbatim. I did a one gallon batch but didn't have a small bucket for the primary. The lady at the homebrew store said this wouldn't be a problem. I went to stir it this morning and decided to get a good smell (I must admit I love the yeast fart smell). When I took a good whiff the smell was almost...well...it felt like my nose was burning off. Maybe it's something being produced by the yeast...maybe I've just never gotten that close..I'm at a loss. Someone help!!

BTW: heres the recipe if it helps. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques28.asp The Red Raspberry Melomel is about 3/4 the way down the page.

Cheers!

Sometimes getting a big whiff of CO2 from the fermenter can burn the nostrils a bit. As long as it it didn't smell funky, you're good.

Yeah I've been gassed pretty good by the yeasts before. Nothing to worry about.

The 2 smells to worry about are rotten egg/H2S and strong vinegar.

Many ferments can smell quite funky anyway so..........

Did you add nutrient? We did a 71B this fall and it kept tossing off sulfur stick and everytime a little nutrient knocked it out, it seems to us that it might need more nutrients that our other usual yeasts, not sure about this in others hands. Wait a few seconds after you stir before you stick your nose in there to let the initial CO2 burst get cleared or it might put you on the floor :) WVMJ

Back