Strawberry addition to mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merhlyn

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am currently making up a 5 gallon batch of mead (sweet). My wife is now asking if we can add Strawberries to this. I started the mix on 10/17/2014 with the following:

20 lbs. White Clover Honey
water to 5.5 gallons (Did a .5 gallon starter for the yeasties)
Staggered yeast nutrients (fermid-k)

My mix is in a 5 gallons fermenter and looks like the fermentation activity is slowing down a lot. Getting may 1 - 2 bubbles a minute through the airlock. I would like to ask for some advice on adding the strawberries. I can move to a larger bucket then add the strawberries and re add the yeast via a small starter to start the fermenting again, or just move to secondary over the strawberries or a combination.

Would like to here your all thoughts on this matter as well as the number of strawberries. Planning on getting the organic ones at Costco.

Thanks all.

Your primary isn't big enough to add the strawberries? That's the problem??

That I know. Was planning on moving to a wine pail as needed. Thought was do it now while still fermenting or what until I normally would move to a secondary. Or move know then add more/new at secondary.
Would still like to here comments on that as well as amounts.

Michael

This may not be very helpful. I have really no experience with strawberries (I am currently making a very small batch of strawberry wine) but I think that strawberries in small quantities provide very little flavor. Strawberry is not a fruit that raises its voice. That said, you may need about 10 lbs of strawberries to produce 1 gallon of juice. If you were making a cyser I would suggest that for every gallon of apple juice you used 2 lbs of honey... I suspect that the same formula works for strawberries..

Latest posts

Back