Strange substance Ive never seen before in Kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xgarygoodx

Reaction score
I have been growing kombucha for about half a year now. I have looked on all sorts of forums and I have never seen anything like this. I believe it to be some form of mold or fungus. It was not until I was taking the pictures that I noticed a growth on the outside which leads me to believe I will just need to pitch the batch. When in doubt throw it out as the old saying goes. But none the less I wanted to share and see if anyone else had seen this before.

The small "dots" almost look like how packaged yeast looks when you buy it. I would love to hear what you all think. Thank you! PICS BELOW

IMG_20140716_204535_623_zpsf35d16c1.jpg

IMG_20140716_204419_025_zps07c3fe93.jpg

IMG_20140716_204628_397_zps7e61ca0e.jpg

IMG_20140716_204611_401_zpsc346c2f6.jpg

I have been brewing for no longer than two months and I too would be alarmed if the same substance showed up on my cloth. My fiancee and I have decided that the first time we see something wrong, we are going to start over. I use a cut-out piece of an old, clean white t-shirt and secure it with two rubber bands that I've reused from grocery produce such as broccoli. You can also use a produce rubber band to use around the lids of stuck bottle caps, they work perfectly. Good luck and I hope someone can provide an explanation as to what it is that is occurring.

Oh hey just did some research. Don't use produce bands. They harbor parasites and mold. Use a fresh and brand new one for every batch. Also do not use fabric that is former clothing or is washed with other garments. Doing both provide perfect houses for bugs and bacteria looking for a nice swim. Only just today found this out from lion heart. They say best bet is coffee filters

Back