Stout Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But that’s not what you claimed. You literally said oats does nothing but help yeast and shelf-life

OK, i was a bit unclear, that is true. I was talking about a "normal" percentage and particularly about the ten percent in the given recipe.

I prefer wheat flour or spelt flour at about ten to twenty percent within the mash for enhanced mouthfeel. Made a Belgian one with outstanding mouthfeel, silky, with 40% spelt flour. Don't know why but it also came out clear, which wasn't expected. Another plus, it really really boosts the head.

What is the Munich for in your recipe?

My thought was to add some bready taste. I'm not certain the dark Munich I have is 20L, looking thought notes I have I think it may be Weyermann's dark. When I was referencing my inventory list, and entering it into my calculator I just picked the 20L option (imo not good practice, long day and trying to do it quick). I also read about adding some dark Munich to stouts somewhere, but can't find that article again, so I'm starting to think I'm confusing it with something else.

Rereading everything here, I haven't been clear what my goal is. I want to make a stout on the sweet side, with some caramel and chocolate notes. I like my American Stouts, however, from the English ones I've had seem to prefer them when I can get them.

While I'm trying to keep to using ingredients I already have, I'm trying not to just throw ingredients in to just use them up, I'm trying to avoid buying more ingredients, while others just sit on a shelf right now. So, some of the grains I'm looking to use are based on what I remember seeing elsewhere, vs. what I have on-hand.

My thought was to add some bready taste. I'm not certain the dark Munich I have is 20L, looking thought notes I have I think it may be Weyermann's dark. When I was referencing my inventory list, and entering it into my calculator I just picked the 20L option (imo not good practice, long day and trying to do it quick). I also read about adding some dark Munich to stouts somewhere, but can't find that article again, so I'm starting to think I'm confusing it with something else.
At five percent, you won't taste it at all. I would just leave it out for now and maybe introduce it at about 20% in a future batch, just to be able to see what it does.

What I personally did, when starting with stouts, was starting with 90% pale and 10% roast barley, only bittering hops and an og at about 1.05. in parallel the same but with chocolate malt instead of roasted barley. Turned out that I preferred roasted barley above the chocolate. Next brew then was the same recipe but introducing 10% crystal malt .... I guess you see where I'm going with this. One ingredient at the time and you really learn about the effect it has. If you are having a busy malt bill and many hops you will never figure out which ingredient does exactly what.

And believe it or not, ten percent roast Barley and rest pale with s04 as the yeast of choice makes a delicious brew.

Rereading everything here, I haven't been clear what my goal is. I want to make a stout on the sweet side, with some caramel and chocolate notes. I like my American Stouts, however, from the English ones I've had seem to prefer them when I can get them.

While I'm trying to keep to using ingredients I already have, I'm trying not to just throw ingredients in to just use them up, I'm trying to avoid buying more ingredients, while others just sit on a shelf right now. So, some of the grains I'm looking to use are based on what I remember seeing elsewhere, vs. what I have on-hand.
Ah, ok, then no American hops. At least none other than bittering hops.

What you are describing would be 10to15% medium crystal, 10% roasted stuff and the rest base malt with a low attenuating yeast like windsor or lots of British liquid yeasts which I only tried Imperial yeast pub from, which I love, but it might end up a bit too sweet, depending on what you want.

I wildly reccomend not making your own recipe, but I know for some this is a joy. Maybe get a good recipe and tweak it a little as a place to start. My go to is founders kbs recipe, the brewers released it and it's good. Start there and adjust

Latest posts

Back