Step mashing results in significantly higher Wort pH than does single infusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
This peer reviewed study (which claims to be in agreement with other documented studies) offers yet more reason as to why the math modeling of mash pH will never be a precise science:

In agreement with the findings of Burger et-al* it was found that the lager malts gave worts of significantly higher pH when mashed using the temperature-programmed system as opposed to the single temperature infusion system. Clearly the major effect of malt on the pH of worts is modified by the system of mashing employed.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1975.tb03668.x

If you want to lower your pH, mash via single infusion. If you want to "significantly" raise your pH, follow a step mash profile.

If you want to lower your pH, mash via single infusion. If you want to "significantly" raise your pH, follow a step mash profile.

So as someone who is going to do a step mash for the first time next week, should I target a lower pH and bank on the step mashing raising my pH?

So as someone who is going to do a step mash for the first time next week, should I target a lower pH and bank on the step mashing raising my pH?

Unknown, as this revelation came as news to me only briefly before I presented it to the forum. Perhaps better would be to step mash one batch and single infusion mash another (identical) batch and compare their respective end of the mash cycle pH's (I.E., their Wort pH's).

Last edited:
Something fishy. IME pH locks in very rapidly and holds steady through the mash and into the kettle, so I doubt it would make any difference if I were to, for some reason I can't fathom, hold the single, initial temperature rather than proceed with my normal 5 step program. Haven't read the paper I confess, but I have measured hundreds of mashes.

If you’re using malt from the 70s...

The pH of my step mashes (every single beer) does not change dramatically after beta rest and end of mash out. I don’t bother measuring after a protein rest as I rarely rarely ever do one.

And who cares. You can always adjust it along the way if need be.

Something fishy. IME pH locks in very rapidly and holds steady through the mash and into the kettle, so I doubt it would make any difference if I were to, for some reason I can't fathom, hold the single, initial temperature rather than proceed with my normal 5 step program. Haven't read the paper I confess, but I have measured hundreds of mashes.

Yeah, here's my data from my mash last week. I mashed in at 8:24, and the PH stayed pretty damn stable through the entire mash at 5.3 (blue line) all of this is at Mash-temp. The orange line is the temp and the mash schedule was the Brauwelt mash. I have yet to read the paper, but to say "significant" is a pretty broad term to gather and valuable data from. I should read the paper before I make any more ass umptions though.
Mash PH.png

the step referred to in the paper in figure 2 looks like a protein rest followed by ramping temperature to 149F. This was done by either decoction or direct heat addition.
These are both compared to single infusion. All three techniques got a standard mash out.

Interesting that the wort pH appears to have significant impact on the hop utilization.

I think this is a gross oversimplification of what they were saying in the paper. In practice, this statement doesn't hold weight, i.e. Science vs. Applied Science.

Back