The impact of single infusion, step infusion, and decoction on mash pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
On page 99, and in Table III of the linked 1974 peer reviewed document it can be seen that for the identical well modified malt (Lager Malt 1) a single infusion mash resulted in a pH of 5.39, a step infusion mash resulted in a pH of 5.46, and a decoction mash resulted in a pH of 5.58.

And for identical undermodified lager malt (Lager Malt 2) the single infusion method resulted in a pH of 5.49, and step infusion resulted in a pH of 5.58. Decoction resulted in a pH of 5.57.

A conclusion can be made from this that the ability of mash pH assistant software to predict mash pH is quite evidently greatly hindered by the method of mashing employed.

Linked Document

Last edited:
No mash pH assistant software asks you the degree to which your base malt has been modified.

No mash pH assistant software asks you what type of mash you are about to undertake.

The result of this is a roughly 0.2 pH points error potential right out of the starting block. Before any other error is piled on. Only the random luck of cumulative grist and water/mineral related pH inducing errors that cancel each other out or randomly sum to the opposite extreme of the error that can be caused by ones chosen form of mashing can lessen the overall potential for error.

Not relevant as to the differential in pH's. That's why I didn't toss this into the thread with that issue in mind.
Well I meant that in jest, but thinking on it, it might be actually - since the different mashing methods involve different temperature steps. If the single infusion mash was measured at 150F for example, and the step mash was measured at 156F, and the decoction was measured from the boiling decoction - there's a wide variation of possible temperatures available within these 3 methods ranging from ~142 - boiling

I didn't actually read the paper, so if that is already accounted for in the text I apologize and don't mean to blow up your thread.

Due to such differences, the measurements are likely in actuality post mash "Wort" pH's.

It's a well-known fact in German brewing that high mash-in temperatures affects pH as well. Phosphatases are mostly denatured, less phosphates are released, lowering buffering capacity.
Yet another wrinkle...
Many mash a bit lower to avoid dough balls, but the time spent below 60-62C does influence buffering capacity and pH.
Thanks BTW for sharing research and your take :)

Back