Step infusion mash; raising the temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prankster1590

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers.

I wanna brew some pilsner with the step infusion mash method. During the mash i wanna have solution of 53 degrees celsius with a thickness of 2.75 L water/kg grain. I wanna bring this to 66 degrees and a thickness of 4.4 L/Kg. By using the heating constants of the grain and water, i use an energy balance to calculate the required temperature of the volume of water that is being added.

When is add this volume to the mash solution i usually fall below target temp. Probably because of loss of heat during the transfer of water.

How do you solve for this loss of heat so that i can reach my desired temp en volume?

The formula I use asks for the temp of the infusing liquor. I use 200* for this instead of 212* , so you might want to use 6*c less then boiling. The easiest way to be accurate is to have more boiling liquor on hand and start with the thickest mash possible, then add until the next rest temp is hit.

Dont know what formula that is but this is what I am doing:

I have 2.20 kg of malt of 53 degrees celsius with an assumed heating constant of 1. I also have 6.05 liters of water at 53 degrees celsius with a heating constant of 4.2.

I wanna have 9.68 liter of water at 66 degrees with 2.2 kg of malt at 66.

So:

2.2 kg*1*53 C + 6.05 kg *4.2*53 C + X C*4.2*3.63 kg = 2.2 kg*1*66 C + 9.68 kg*4.2*66 C

X C = 89.54 C

So I have to add 3.63 L of water at 89.54 C to the Mash to make 9.68 L solution at 66 C.

But due to loss of heat during the transfer of water I miss the target temp. Now im looking for a trick to compensate for this loss.

You can read Palmers How to Brew on line. Start on page 168( first edition) and follow is instruction. I use all his formulas for ALL my numbers. His grain absorption constant is a little high for my system (I use .11). I'm spot on most of the time, but having some extra liquor is helpful, I have never overshot just a couple under sometimes. I start mine at 1:1 ratio (qt/lb) and can do one infusion before going over a 1.5:1 for my main sac rest.

I think im just gonna mechanically heat the mash to add to final degrees.

Good book btw Palmers. But his equations seems great but probably based on the same energy balance. Only with different constants.

I think im just gonna mechanically heat the mash to add to final degrees.

Good book btw Palmers. But his equations seems great but probably based on the same energy balance. Only with different constants.

Stir the mash constantly as you add heat or you will heat the bottom so much that you denature the enzymes long before the rest of the mash starts warming. Make sure to stir it clear to the bottom.

Back